PDA

View Full Version : The National Convention

jordanhigh69
10-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Hi all,
I'm curious about some things in regard to this memorabilia show. Does anyone know how much they pay the "Bigtime" athletes, such as Gretzky, Ali, Magic, etc to do appearances there? Also, how much is a booth there? I didn't see Jordan listed on there as having been one of the premier people to have done the show. Thanks for any help about this.

Steve

trsent
10-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Hi all,
I'm curious about some things in regard to this memorabilia show. Does anyone know how much they pay the "Bigtime" athletes, such as Gretzky, Ali, Magic, etc to do appearances there? Also, how much is a booth there? I didn't see Jordan listed on there as having been one of the premier people to have done the show. Thanks for any help about this.

Steve

I do not believe Michael Jordan has ever done a sports card trade show autograph session. His basketball camps were generally the only events he has ever done.

legaleagle92481
10-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Ali has not done a National or other public signing in many years, he is in failing health and at one point "retired" from signing at least five years ago. He has held true to that except for one private signing in 2009. Gretzky does not do shows nor does Jordan. To my knowledge neither has ever done a show both just do private signings Jordan exclusively with UDA. As Joel mentioned Jordan also signs at his annual camp I looked it up once and each camp admission comes with one free autograph on an item of the camper's choice. The athletes are paid an apperance fee, which varies greatly per athlete. Some such as Rickey Henderson earn over $100,000 per appearance. Others such as Yogi Berra earn about $20,000. The National has not gotten many big stars in recent years though. I can't remember the last time they had a must have autograph. The guys that sign there sign at other shows throughout the year.

jordanhigh69
10-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi all,
Guys, thanks for the replies. Jordan actually signs 2 things per camper at his adult fantasy camp here in Vegas, and, if you are buds with him, sometimes 3 things ;) So, has Rickey Henderson ever been "hired", at $100G's, to do the show? I'm asking all these questions 'cause I have an idea about the next show. Also, who runs the whole show deal if I wanted to speak with them about my ideas? Thanks

Steve

sox83cubs84
10-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I do not believe Michael Jordan has ever done a sports card trade show autograph session. His basketball camps were generally the only events he has ever done.

In the late 1980s MJ was advertised for both a private signing (Best of Yesterday) and a show appearance (one-time show run by former Chicago sports reporter Kenny McReynolds). Jordan backed out of the private signing and was a no-show at the card show. Nothing since.

Dave Miedema

trsent
10-05-2010, 09:51 PM
In the late 1980s MJ was advertised for both a private signing (Best of Yesterday) and a show appearance (one-time show run by former Chicago sports reporter Kenny McReynolds). Jordan backed out of the private signing and was a no-show at the card show. Nothing since.

Dave Miedema

I was at that show. It was a joke from the start where we knew we weren't going to see MJ that day.