PDA

View Full Version : Hunt Auctions MLB All Star HR Derby/Warm Up Jerseys

dcgreg25
10-12-2010, 08:41 PM
I was browsing the Hunt Auctions upcoming live auction on November 10th and was intrigued by the large number of All Star Warm-up jerseys. I wanted to give users a heads-up that these jerseys are only signed not game used. Hunt's description struck me as slightly vague but I know though the Highland Mint that the game used versions of these jerseys were already sold. I was able to get the Carmona jersey for a good deal so I picked it up a few weeks ago and have it in my possession.

I am not accusing Hunt of doing anything wrong but simply posting this for other members to be aware in the future that the MLB HR Derby/Warm-up jerseys that are signed are not game used. These show up from time to time in auctions and I know that often items that come up as signed in the database are considered game used but just not wittnessed by the MLB Authenticator.

My Carmona jersey is unsigned and comes up as the following when you input the hologram number (FJ171205) in the MLB database:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/gregguy25/CarmonaCOA.jpg

When you enter the hologram from the Hunt Auction (FJ171602) you get the following:
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/gregguy25/CarmonaCOAHunt.jpg

This is not the biggest deal but thought it was worth mentioning. By the way if anyone has the Victor Martinez, Cliff Lee or CC Sabathia and would sell it, please let me know. Thanks.

Fnazxc0114
10-13-2010, 02:17 AM
thanks for the heads up. While looking i saw the kinsler one, but the hologram has a number that ties to a ty wiggington g/u jersey in the database. Pretty strange.

tilley72
10-13-2010, 07:13 AM
thanks for the heads up. While looking i saw the kinsler one, but the hologram has a number that ties to a ty wiggington g/u jersey in the database. Pretty strange.

We purchased several of the jerseys from the Highland Mint, and for some reason when we received that one it was listed as a "Ty Wigginton" jersey. If you check the MLB database, you will notice that there are two jerseys listed as Ty Wigginton, which are numbers FJ 171199 and FJ 171200. I'm assuming that the MLB Authenticator made a mistake, as seems to happen quite often, and listed Ty Wigginton's name twice.

As for the Hunt Auction's jerseys, they always have a second set of jerseys, which have been made up for the players, that are just signed and never worn. They have done this for year's at their Louisville Slugger factory auction, with the proceeds going to a charitable cause if I can remember correctly.

skyliner59
10-13-2010, 09:34 AM
By chance does anybody have the website address for the Highland Mint? Thanks

AWA85
10-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the heads up, saw those on Hunt and was going to keep an eye out not even thinking that they were just made up to be signed. Wording is not 100% clear that they are only signed jerseys, while also I read about the pro code 006 and was only thinking game used.

Thank you!

allstarsplus
10-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the heads up, saw those on Hunt and was going to keep an eye out not even thinking that they were just made up to be signed. Wording is not 100% clear that they are only signed jerseys, while also I read about the pro code 006 and was only thinking game used.

Thank you! Why aren't they listed under Game Issued like they were before?

Also, aren't there 3 sets usually where the player keeps his HR Derby set? I remember Barry Bonds with his and Sammy Sosa and a few other players.

TNTtoys
10-13-2010, 12:07 PM
From my own recollection having owned one of these, there was a set issued to the players that was worn on Home Run Derby day that later was signed and then auctioned off. This set is different to the set worn in BP on the day of the All-Star Game (assuming that the former is the set on Hunt now and the latter is the set that Highland Mint had). A third set is likely unused and went home with the players.

tilley72
10-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Why aren't they listed under Game Issued like they were before?

Also, aren't there 3 sets usually where the player keeps his HR Derby set? I remember Barry Bonds with his and Sammy Sosa and a few other players.

I actually spoke with Corey Hart during a signing in September with his Home Run Derby shirt. One of the employees of the shop that the signing was taking place at (Legends of the Field) asked Corey if he had his jersey and he said and I paraphrase here that "No they took our jerseys after the home run derby, and I guess they sold it." He was actually in the Home Run Derby itself, and he wasn't even able to keep it. The only uniform that hasn't been available through Highland Mint has been the jersey that the Home Run Derby Champion wore.

From the information, I was able to get from Hunts' Auction staff a few years ago, the jerseys they have were extra sets that were made to the player's specifications, but just signed and not worn. Now, I'm not sure if that is still the case, but I would assume that it is with The Highland Mint advertising that they had the exact jerseys that the player's wore during the Home Run Derby.

tilley72
10-13-2010, 01:41 PM
By chance does anybody have the website address for the Highland Mint? Thanks

www.highlandmint.com

xpress34
10-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Why aren't they listed under Game Issued like they were before?

Andrew -

Wassup??? I think it varies if the Players want to keep theirs or not. When I took the 2006 Holliday AS Gamer I bought from you for him to sign, he and I had a discussion about it and he said he wished he had kept it from his 1st AS Game but was glad it was in my collection.

Just an FYI -

Chris

xpress34
10-13-2010, 07:14 PM
From my own recollection having owned one of these, there was a set issued to the players that was worn on Home Run Derby day that later was signed and then auctioned off. This set is different to the set worn in BP on the day of the All-Star Game (assuming that the former is the set on Hunt now and the latter is the set that Highland Mint had). A third set is likely unused and went home with the players.

TNT -

One thing I have noticed with the few GU AS jerseys I have seen - regardless of the 'set' (BP, HRD, Work out) - they are all tagged with SIZE (48, 20, 52, etc) but the ones for sale at the All Star Game and On-Line (through MLB) are S, M, L, XL, XXL.

The 'sized' ones on eBay are all KnockOffs with 'stitched' on Majestic tail tag - the real deal has the ironed on 'rubber' tail tag with the size tag on the side seam near the cool base/etc tag.

Hope this helps.

Just my observations.

- Chris

allstarsplus
10-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Andrew -

Wassup??? I think it varies if the Players want to keep theirs or not. When I took the 2006 Holliday AS Gamer I bought from you for him to sign, he and I had a discussion about it and he said he wished he had kept it from his 1st AS Game but was glad it was in my collection.

Just an FYI -

Chris

Chris, that is very cool and glad he liked the jersey! I have to share my 2010 Anaheim story with you about Holliday/Haladay.

Call me when you have a chance!

dcgreg25
11-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Looks like Zanebats picked up most of the All Star BP jerseys from Hunt Auctions and is reselling them on ebay with the following description:

You are bidding on a Majestic Cool Base jersey of Victor Martinez from the 2010 All Star Game. Size 48. Jersey was issued for batting practice, workout, and the Home Run Derby. It is in excellent condition with light wear. This is one of the two jerseys he was given (he has the other one). Signed on the back in silver sharpie. MLB authentication #FJ 171075. Martinez played for the Cleveland Indians and Boston Red Sox. Shipping 10.00 to continental U.S. We now accept major credit cards and Paypal! Check my feedback.