PDA

View Full Version : Are playoff hits included in a players career hits stats?

MLB_Authentic
10-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Do hits that occur in the postseason get applied to someones career hits? Your help is appreciated.

AWA85
10-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Pretty sure all playoff stats are not included in the players career stats.

joelsabi
10-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Pretty sure all playoff stats are not included in the players career stats.

definitely separate

xpress34
10-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Playoff / Post Season Stats are their own category.

For example, Roy Halladay's No-Hitter in Game 1 of the NLDS - while amazing - doesn't add him to the short list of players with 2 No Hitters in the same season:

Virgil Trucks, Detroit Tigers, 1952
Allie Reynolds, New York Yankees 1951
Nolan Ryan, California Angels, 1973
Johnny Vander Meer, Cincinnati Reds, 1938 (back to back No Hitters)

The 'season' by definition is Games 1-162 (163 tie breaker if necessary).

For example - Mickey Mantle's career HR total is 536. But the Mick also hit 18 Post Season homers. His career total is still 536, not 554.

Another example is Roger Maris hitting 61 HRs in 1961. If his Post Season was added to it, then he had 62 HRs in 1961.

Hope this helps.

- Chris

legaleagle92481
10-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Great explanation Chris. I don't know of a sport that does count playoff stats towards career totals. If they did it would be unfair because players on teams that reach the postseason alot would be able to pile up more stats. Which would skew players career totals unfairly when compared to players on less successful teams. For example, Andy Petttite has spent his career pitching for playoff teams except for three seasons (which includes one he did not pitch due to injury) he has piled up 19 wins (most alltime) if those were added to the 240 he has won in the regular season he would have a realistic shot at 300 wins by his early 40s if he chose to kept playing. But without those extra wins he has no real shot unless he decides to be the next Jamie Moyer. Roy Halladay is several years younger than Andy but until this year had never played in the post season. The odds of him getting even 10 playoff wins are slim and as a result if the postseason wins counted in career totals he would be at a disadvantage compared to Petitite because his team's late of success for much of his career would prevent him from getting the boast Andy would get.

mlupo
10-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Great explanation Chris. I don't know of a sport that does count playoff stats towards career totals. If they did it would be unfair because players on teams that reach the postseason alot would be able to pile up more stats. Which would skew players career totals unfairly when compared to players on less successful teams. For example, Andy Petttite has spent his career pitching for playoff teams except for three seasons (which includes one he did not pitch due to injury) he has piled up 19 wins (most alltime) if those were added to the 240 he has won in the regular season he would have a realistic shot at 300 wins by his early 40s if he chose to kept playing. But without those extra wins he has no real shot unless he decides to be the next Jamie Moyer. Roy Halladay is several years younger than Andy but until this year had never played in the post season. The odds of him getting even 10 playoff wins are slim and as a result if the postseason wins counted in career totals he would be at a disadvantage compared to Petitite because his team's late of success for much of his career would prevent him from getting the boast Andy would get.

I believe the only sport to include post season stats is NCAA football, I could be wrong, but I believe a couple years ago they started including bowl game stats to a players season/career numbers.

cjclong
10-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Were the playoff statistics in the 1951 3 games between the Dodgers and Giiants when Bobby Thompson hit the famous home run added to their season totals. For some reason I had the idea that they were added to the season totals and this was an exception to the rule.

Tallyman77
10-15-2010, 11:51 AM
All playoff stats are definitely kept separate and do not figure in to career stats, although it sure would be a bonus to those players who worked so hard during the season to make it to the playoffs. :)

-Walt

Evergreen7777@att.net

I guess if it wasn't separate, then the playoff stats might be deciding factors in winning batting titles, CY Young awards, etc. for that particular season because they would then be added to season stats???

joelsabi
10-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Were the playoff statistics in the 1951 3 games between the Dodgers and Giiants when Bobby Thompson hit the famous home run added to their season totals. For some reason I had the idea that they were added to the season totals and this was an exception to the rule.

Yes. Tie-breaking games are considered part of the regular season as the games determines the outcome of the regular season, ie. eligibility for post season play. Back then it was a 3 game tying series. Then is became one game, like Bucky Dent's homer in 1978 that was in the 163rd game of the season, counted towards his season totals.

All Stars game, Playoff games, World Series stats are separate as there are special records for these games.