X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • legaleagle92481
    Banned
    • Oct 2009

The Value of Potential

The other day I posted a thread on a Tim Tebow jersey that got deleted looking back on it the thread did not come off as I intended so I will try again. As many of you have seen JO is selling a Tim Tebow Broncos jersey from the Jaguars game for $10,000. For reference purposes Tebow DID NOT play a single snap in that game and therefore in his career log of games that game is not listed. My question though is what is the value of potential and rookie items when it comes to GU items? And how much of a premium are you willing to pay for that, when it comes to GU items? Does the fact the player did not play in the game affect your decision to invest or not invest in a GU item of a rookie? This thread is not intended to criticize JO in anyway I just found the item and price intriguing. This situation is much different than the Sanchez because at the time he was his team's starting qb and showing potential and Tebow is behind a guy who has been one of the top QBs in the NFL this year and has not started a game. So he is pure potential at this point.
  • Fnazxc0114
    • Aug 2007

Re: The Value of Potential

If a player plays 10-20 years they will never make another rookie jersey. In todays flooded markets it is truly one of the areas they wont be able to make any more of. So yes i would say there would be a premium of these items.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Comment

• zookerman182
      • Jul 2007

Td Tebow
      Collecting current Brewers players and Prospects

brewergamer28@yahoo.com

sigpic

Comment

• Chris78
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Fnazxc0114
        If a player plays 10-20 years they will never make another rookie jersey. In todays flooded markets it is truly one of the areas they wont be able to make any more of. So yes i would say there would be a premium of these items.
        The chances of Tem Tebow being as good as Joe Montana, John Elway, Johnny Unitas, etc. is very unlikely. I personally would never pay that much for a jersey, as I can't afford it, but even if I could I would rather put the money into proven guys like the 3 mentioned above. Look at the people that paid for Strasburg, he may never be as good as expected with the injury, but only time will tell.

Comment

• Chris78
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Chris78
          The chances of Tem Tebow being as good as Joe Montana, John Elway, Johnny Unitas, etc. is very unlikely. I personally would never pay that much for a jersey, as I can't afford it, but even if I could I would rather put the money into proven guys like the 3 mentioned above. Look at the people that paid for Strasburg, he may never be as good as expected with the injury, but only time will tell.
          So in other words, you are better waiting 10-20 years to buy the Tim Tebow rookie jersey for $10,000 -- assuming it would be worth that much even if he is as good as a Montana, Elway, Marino, Unitas, Bradshaw, etc.. With the market that we have today (i.e. items are much more available and more rookie jerseys in general), this would be a very stupid purchase.

Comment

• AWA85
            • Jan 2008

The one positive thing about purchasing a rookie gamer is the rarity and difficulty of owning an early jersey of the player. Just was talking to Jeff about how we see tons of late Barry Larkin jerseys pop up, yet you never see a rookie jersey or any of his 1980's come about ever. It can be risky spending a premium for an unkown, but you may be getting something that will be extremely difficult to find down the road.
            Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Comment

• jbsportstuff
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by AWA85
              The one positive thing about purchasing a rookie gamer is the rarity and difficulty of owning an early jersey of the player. Just was talking to Jeff about how we see tons of late Barry Larkin jerseys pop up, yet you never see a rookie jersey or any of his 1980's come about ever. It can be risky spending a premium for an unkown, but you may be getting something that will be extremely difficult to find down the road.
              Yeah but I still have to say thanks for the 1989 Larkin game used pants. I've not seen an early Larkin listed for a long time. The vest jerseys pop up every now and then but not the 86-93 jerseys. Does anyone here have one that they are willing to part with?

Comment

• Jules9
                • Dec 2008

Personally I don't know how it can be considered "game used" if he was never on the field for a snap. My question is if the jersey gets sold, does JO tell the buyer that he was never out there for a play and just backed up the whole game.

Comment

• indyred
                  • May 2006

Wonder if JO will get orange alternate from todays game he scored his first TD in. That one would sell for a mint. Tebow mania is still big. I know any of his rare cards sell for crazy amounts.

Comment

• kudu
                    • May 2007

I wonder if being good looking has any factor in these jerseys going for so much. Tebow, Sanchez, and Brady are all GQ quality guys, which I would think expands the market to women and you know women love to shop

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2009

Does Tebow remind anyone else of Phillip Rivers? Both were high draft picks that an AFC West team traded to obtain. Both ended up starting their career behind a former Purdue QB who was not a former first round pick and was not viewed as a star, then suddendly the former Purdue QB started playing like a star keeping the first rounder on the bench. Rivers sat for about two years and as a result it will greatly impact his final career stats and the way Orton's playing it looks like Tebow may do the same. Conversely Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen are all starting and except for Bradford were all picked much lower than Tebow. So it looks like Tebow got jobbed by being picked by the Broncos.

Comment

• allstarsplus
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Chris78
                        The chances of Tem Tebow being as good as Joe Montana, John Elway, Johnny Unitas, etc. is very unlikely.

I personally would never pay that much for a jersey, as I can't afford it, but even if I could I would rather put the money into proven guys like the 3 mentioned above.

Look at the people that paid for Strasburg, he may never be as good as expected with the injury, but only time will tell.
                        $10,000 is a lot of money on a player that you are most likely correct about never being one of the "greats" and you can throw Manning, Favre and Marino in that list too on the list of modern greats and most would say $10,000 is a good price for a sure thing 1st pro jersey.

On the Strasburg correlation, his pitching debut was the greatest in MLB history and while his injury set him back a year, his only real jersey that I know of had sold for under $5,000 with no others out there with any photomatches or provenance.

If the Tebow was $3,000, that is still a lot of money for a guy who may be nothing more than a "wildcat" QB in the NFL.

I feel the same way about the Mark Sanchez jersey last year. In this hobby, to each their own!
                        Regards,
                        Andrew Lang
                        AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                        202-716-8500

Comment

• nationals2k9
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
                          Does Tebow remind anyone else of Phillip Rivers? Both were high draft picks that an AFC West team traded to obtain. Both ended up starting their career behind a former Purdue QB who was not a former first round pick and was not viewed as a star, then suddendly the former Purdue QB started playing like a star keeping the first rounder on the bench. Rivers sat for about two years and as a result it will greatly impact his final career stats and the way Orton's playing it looks like Tebow may do the same. Conversely Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen are all starting and except for Bradford were all picked much lower than Tebow. So it looks like Tebow got jobbed by being picked by the Broncos.
                          Simply comparing Tebow to Rivers is a joke though you have shown you can draw some comparisons. Pound for pound, I actually think McCoy could grow into a poor man's Brees in a few years. Orton will never be Brees and he only throws as much as he does because the team stinks.

Back to the topic... if a person is in a position financially to "gamble" on a guy with high potential I say go for it! It'd be fun to be able to snatch up rookie gear from all of the guys everyone talks about. But for the majority of us, I think the safe play is to let that stuff pass and use our smarts later in the player's career to try and grab some of the early stuff.

Comment

• Bravesfan
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2010

The Broncos know what they are doing with Tebow. They are just grooming him and letting him learn. They didn't take him the first round to waste him.
                            What I don't understand is why Kyle Orton is not appreciated more.

Comment

• allstarsplus
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Bravesfan
                              The Broncos know what they are doing with Tebow. They are just grooming him and letting him learn. They didn't take him the first round to waste him.
                              What I don't understand is why Kyle Orton is not appreciated more.
                              The Broncos know what they were doing just like all these guys teams that took their 1st round picks:

The Dirty Dozen:

Ryan Leaf
                              JaMarcus Russell
                              Heath Shuler
                              Aikili Smith
                              Andre Ware
                              Joey Harrington
                              Rick Mirer
                              David Klingler
                              Tim Couch
                              Jack Thompson
                              Cade McNown
                              Art Schlichter

Choosing quarterbacks in the 1st round is riskier than any other pick in the 1st round for All Pro potential.

It sometimes takes years to evaluate a QB. Just ask the Oakland Raiders and their great QB JaMarcus Russell.
                              Regards,
                              Andrew Lang
                              AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                              202-716-8500

Comment

Working...