Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • intheminors
    • Jul 2006

Kirk Gibson to Auction Off Famous Home Run Bat

Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson is going to auction off the bat he used to hit his dramatic 1988 World Series home run.
  • gorilla777
    • Aug 2009

Re: Kirk Gibson to Auction Off Famous Home Run Bat

I am curious to see what the Gibson HR bat in particular fetches in this auction....not sure what sort of figure to guess?

Comment

• Neal
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by gorilla777
      I am curious to see what the Gibson HR bat in particular fetches in this auction....not sure what sort of figure to guess?
      Considering the history (greatest WS home run ever?), I would not be surprised if it hits 6 figures. Who knows?
      looking for Phillies GU bats

Comment

• kings418
        • Feb 2006

Just got the catalog today and I can't wait to see what both jerseys go for. A 50k starting bid on the home run jersey should get things off to a good start.

Comment

• FastLane80
          • Aug 2008

:looking for a body part I can live without:

Nice pieces and it's nice to see him opening up a bit. I remembered watching a recent Dodger/D'Backs game and seeing him go out of his way to sign a Dodger hat for a fan (had to climb up to get the hat/pen and to give them back). This is a far cry from where he was even a year ago. His new position may have something to do with that but whatever the inspiration may be, it's a pleasant sight.

Comment

• gorilla777
            • Aug 2009

I got the catalog today as well.
            The bat starts at 25k and usually they start at what the auction house thinks is a 25% or lower inherent value figure, so maybe we see 125k or so?
            The helmet he wore, with a starting bid of 5k, is very sharp as well. It has a World Series sticker and nice notation on it from Gibson.
            So maybe 250k with juice for the uniform, helmet and bat?

Comment

• cjw
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Neal
              Considering the history (greatest WS home run ever?), I would not be surprised if it hits 6 figures. Who knows?
              Gotta dispute the "greatest WS home run ever" idea. Great story, great shot but Game one....can't compare to Maz or Joe Carter's dinges to win their respective series in '60 and '93. As a Toronto boy- I got to go with Joe.
              WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Comment

• trsent
                Banned
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by cjw
                Gotta dispute the "greatest WS home run ever" idea. Great story, great shot but Game one....can't compare to Maz or Joe Carter's dinges to win their respective series in '60 and '93. As a Toronto boy- I got to go with Joe.
                Didn't Joe win a game six?

Bill Mazeroski was a game seven.

Funny thing is I think when you consider most memorable home runs, Gibson's is more memorabilia to people than Joe's. The television and the drama of the whole situation made it special to many people.

No disrespect to Joe Carter, his home run is one of the tops but others are more memorable to most people.

Comment

• Neal
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by cjw
                  which is why I used a question mark .... Maz, Carter, Fisk, and Gibson, among others, are generally at the top of everyones list

To me, Gibson hobbling to home plate using a lighter bat due to his condition and hitting a walkoff shot off the best reliever at the time is waaaaay up there.
                  looking for Phillies GU bats

Comment

• pjbmd
                    • Nov 2005

i'm kind of partial to the DJ homerun off Kim in Game 4 WS 2001

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
                      • Aug 2007

I thought joe carters hr against mitch williams was the greatest one ever.
                      Originally posted by Neal
                      Baseball do what it do
                      -Ron Washington

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
                        • Aug 2007

One thing cool about gibsons hr is it is my first hr memory of the world series. In fact it was the first WS that i can remember watching. So gibsons hr is up there, and who hasnt seen the video of him hobbling around the bases.
                        Baseball do what it do
                        -Ron Washington

Comment

• kudu
                          • May 2007

Those are all great WS homers, but this one is by far my favorite and one of the best:

Comment

• FastLane80
                            • Aug 2008

As a Dodger fan, it is one of the greatest home runs of all-time...even without my obvious bias. The drama (the injury), the scenario (under dogs) and the HOF pitcher he hit it off of.

You can argue till you're blue in the face whether or not it was THE greatest of all-time, world series...whatever. The fact that these artifacts exist outside of the hall of fame and are obtainable to those who have the means is exciting itself. How often does an undoubtedly authentic piece of baseball history come to auction from the man himself?

Comment

• rj_lucas
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by FastLane80
                              How often does an undoubtedly authentic piece of baseball history come to auction from the man himself?
                              My thoughts exactly. Where's Barry Halper when you need him? I'd love to see a well-heeled collector buy these items, then turn around and give them to the HOF, where they belong. There's memorabilia, and then there's history, and these items are history.

Rick
                              rickjlucas@gmail.com

Comment

Working...