Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cigarman44
    • Aug 2007

Rick Ankiel's Game winning splash hit!

This past weekend I worked out a deal to add Rick Ankiel's "...biggest homer of my career by far." ball to my collection. Only the second post season splash hit in the history of the park and Rick's only playoff homer and possibly last hit as a Brave. It was retrieved by the same man that caught Bonds 660 and 661.

Only question is whether to get it signed or not.

Between the ball, my USA jersey and rookie year glove, I'm not sure which is my favorite!

Of course I won't have it in hand until it is paid off!

I found a great pic to frame with it. Enjoy!
    Attached Files
  • LastingsMilledge85
    • May 2009

Re: Rick Ankiel's Game winning splash hit!

Incredible, how where you able to get the ball and find out who retrieved it and such?

Comment

• lakeerie92
      • Oct 2008

Great pick up! I got to talk to Rick for a bit after the NLDS game 4 loss. He is a nice guy and I would like to see him come back next season, but unfortunately he won't be back.
      Russell Wuerffel
      Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
      lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Comment

• cigarman44
        • Aug 2007

I seen it posted in a Braves forum that he had the ball and had it up at auction with a pretty high reserve. Shot an offer and he accepted. He tried to get it signed before the Braves left town but didn't have any luck.

I'd like to see them bring him back on the cheap if they could. He'll be fighting for part time duty next year. If he doesn't find a job, I guess I'll have his last career HR. Id be ok with that.

Comment

• CollectGU
          • Nov 2005

Do you get a have a notarized letter and photo of the guy holding the ball after retrieving it or anything or something to match up to photos or video of the person retreiving it. Provenance is really important on HR balls.

Dave

Comment

• cigarman44
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by CollectGU
            Do you get a have a notarized letter and photo of the guy holding the ball after retrieving it or anything or something to match up to photos or video of the person retreiving it. Provenance is really important on HR balls.

Dave

Yes it is coming with a letter from him. I can even photo match his kayak if I need to Not something I plan on selling. The guy has caught many hr's that have brought big bucks. He got 17,000 for Bonds 661. If he's gonna rip me for less than a grand for an Ankiel HR so be it.

Comment

• Birdbats
              • Nov 2005

Joe, I'd get the Ankiel ball signed. I got Rick to sign the bat he used to hit the HR in his "comeback" game as an outfielder, and I've never regretted it. The team LOA is good, the photo match is better, but the signature and notation is icing on the cake.

Jeff Scott
              birdbats@charter.net
              http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
                • Aug 2007

Awesome p/u cigar. I hope he comes back, hes a ball player. Not many guys can say they have done what he has.
                Baseball do what it do
                -Ron Washington

Comment

• cigarman44
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Birdbats
                  Joe, I'd get the Ankiel ball signed. I got Rick to sign the bat he used to hit the HR in his "comeback" game as an outfielder, and I've never regretted it. The team LOA is good, the photo match is better, but the signature and notation is icing on the cake.

Oh Jeff you never stop teasing me with that bat! One day I'll make you an offer you can't refuse!

Im going to get in contact with Rick and tell him what I have. Id like to have it signed "2010 NLDS GW Splash Hit" or something like that.

Comment

• allstarsplus
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by cigarman44
                    If he's gonna rip me for less than a grand for an Ankiel HR so be it.
                    I think you did great! That price sounds super fair to me given the historic nature of it and the provenance.

What auction did he have it on?
                    Regards,
                    Andrew Lang
                    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                    202-716-8500

Comment

• cigarman44
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by allstarsplus
                      I think you did great! That price sounds super fair to me given the historic nature of it and the provenance.

What auction did he have it on?
                      Thanks!

He had it on ebay and it didnt get much attention. Not really in the right category. His reserve was 1000 and I gave about half that.

Comment

• lakeerie92
                        • Oct 2008

Not to mention it is the game winning hit from Bobby Cox's last win as a manager.
                        Russell Wuerffel
                        Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
                        lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
                          • May 2009

I know it doesn't count towards his record, but wasn't Cadahia the manager in that game?

Comment

• cigarman44
                            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by LastingsMilledge85
                            I know it doesn't count towards his record, but wasn't Cadahia the manager in that game?

Yeah Bobby was tossed early. Do you not get the W if you get tossed? Guess I never thought of that.

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
                              • May 2009

Yeah Bobby does get the win, but I think it sort of says something when the only game Atlanta one was when Bobby wasn't there. Anyway, I'm just amazed that you were able to get that ball and talk about luck that the person that retrieved it was selling it. Ankiel hasn't had a spectacular career, and I could certainly say the same about my guy, but wow that was a pivotal moment in Ankiel's career and you get to have a part in it now. It really is just awesome.

Comment

Working...