PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting the A5 Grade - From MEARS

trsent
08-04-2006, 03:51 PM
http://www.network54.com/Forum/466937/message/1154723821/Revisiting+the+A5+Grade

Revisiting the A5 Grade (Copied and posted with premission)

Troy R. Kinunen - August 4 2006 at 1:37 PM

I have received several emails from MEARS members asking for clarification of the A5 grade and the Hines Ward jersey being offering in the Vintage Authentics auctions.

A MEARS member brought the lot to my attention on August 2nd, 2006. After review of the lot, the images, and our original LOO, I revised the letter and posted this fact on 8-2-06 at 11:27 PM. As per our long standing self imposed policy, we post all information on our bulletin board when a letter we issued contains information that has been changed or amended.

It has been brought to my attention that some non-MEARS members are making the claim that in the past MEARS has issued A5 grades on jerseys that were never intended to be game worn, that fact is simply false.

The confusion comes from the final sentence of our A5 definition, when taken out of context, is used by some to state we issued letters on retail jerseys. The final line reads,

"or one that may have been made available for retail sale or promotion."

This sentence DOES NOT MEAN we authenticate retail jerseys.

Before we issue the A5 grade, the following criteria must first be met:

"Manufactures characteristics of the jersey have been compared to known authentic examples and match in tagging, lettering, numbering, size, patches or memorial bands, materials, style, buttons, zipper, etc."

This is the process that elimates store bought jerseys from game issued jerseys. You CANNOT submit a jersey from your favorite team apparel store and recieve a grade of a MEARS A5. This has never happened. Each and every jersey we have graded from all 3 major sports appears in our jersey trade index. The final grade, jersey title, and hologram number are made available. I would be glad to provide any interested parties with copies of any of the letters that will verify none of these were store model jerseys, 0.

When we are contracted by an auction house or a collector submits a jersey for retail evaluation, each item is checked via our worksheet and compared to our database for:

1. Correct Tagging
2. Correct Font
3. Correct style
4. Correct lettering and numbering
5. Correct size for player
6. Correct patches and memorial bands
7. Correct manufacturer
8. Correct style of manufacturers tag
9. We make sure the actual jersey size matches the tagged size
10.We make sure the jersey was the proper size to be issued to that player

All of these manufacturers characteristics must be present before the A5 grade is considered for post 1987 jerseys.

Therefore, if the examined jersey does not match 100% correctly with all of the above, no A5 grade is awarded. And, if the jersey is found to be a store or retail jersey, the jersey is recorded in our jersey trade index as such. Again, no store model jerseys as awarded the A5 grade, EVER.

Now back to the phrase, "or one that may have been made available for retail sale or promotion." Some organizations, like NFL Auctions, sell team issued jerseys. These jerseys match all of the criteria for an A5 grade, but, by the decision of the organization, in this case, NFL Auctions, the jerseys are made available for retail sale or promotion. Hence, the defintion of the A5 grade.

Although this jersey was made available for retail sale, it is still a team issued jersey per the MEARS definition, and one that is very different from souvenir sold shirts.

It is also a common misconception that MEARS applied the A5 grade to jerseys that have no use or that are team issued with no mention of the fact of their lack of wear. In all cases when MEARS either knows the jersey came from NFL Auctions, was team issued, or has no use, that fact is clearly labeled in the title. In the case when a jersey is found to be team issued with no wear, the jersey is photographed and recorded in our jersey trade index. The reason being that we now have a record of this jersey, and we can track it incase in re-enters the hobby again with fraudulent wear added.

Examples in our Jersey Trade Index include:

2004 Eli Manning NY Giants Alternate Game Ready jersey #300200
2004 Ray Lewis AFC Pro Bowl Game Ready jersey #300062
2002 Hines Ward Steeler Road team issued #300202
1982 Wade Boggs Red Sox Home Pro Stock #301677

Again, when MEARS is able to verify that a jersey is team issued, or shows no use, we record it as such.

Finally, before issuing the final grade, wear/use is evaluated. Our criteria states,

"Each piece is also evaluated on the degree of evident use and wear, which must be consistent with that of the player, sport, position, field of play, and duration of use. No negative traits, incorrect manufacturers specifications, or use characteristics can be present to be awarded this grade. The Player, team, or event provenance was provided at the time of inspection and fully supports the attributions and player wear."

The A5 grade was created to more accurately evaluate jerseys that enter the hobby today. When the A5 grade is assigned, meaning the manufacturers characteristics have been compared to known examples of game worn/issued jerseys and the wear is measured, we have taken the evaluation to its full frution.

I ask any reasonable collector as to what else can be done after we have conducted the above examination to determine game use?

DNA is removed in washing so therefore that is not an option and a viable sample must be present along with the player consenting to providing his sample for a test.

With DNA testing not being a reasonable expectation, MEARS then asks for provenance. If someone that has both reasonable and verifiable access to the jersey and is willing to provide a verifiable letter, after MEARS verification, we then award the extra points for provenance to our final grade.

Our system was developed to accurately evaluate the physical characteristics of the jersey to guarantee that the jersey was one that was made for the player to wear on the field, and are grading criteria also rewards provenance.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Kinunen
Troy R. Kinunen

kingjammy24
08-04-2006, 05:35 PM
I won't waste anyone's time discussing the A5 grade, but I did want to correct something in Troy's post lest it mislead some :

"This sentence DOES NOT MEAN we authenticate retail jerseys...[SNIP] This is the process that elimates store bought jerseys from game issued jerseys. You CANNOT submit a jersey from your favorite team apparel store and recieve a grade of a MEARS A5. This has never happened...[SNIP] Again, no store model jerseys as awarded the A5 grade, EVER."

This is, in fact, wrong. Here is the proof:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=2151

Troy, you and MEARS outdid yourselves on that one. You awarded an obviously retail jersey an A10! Way to go tiger! Please don't post that you've "NEVER" awarded a store model jersey an A5 (or higher) as the evidence shows otherwise.

Troy goes on to say:
"When we are contracted by an auction house or a collector submits a jersey for retail evaluation, each item is checked via our worksheet and compared to our database for: 1. Correct Tagging..[SNIP]
"All of these manufacturers characteristics must be present before the A5 grade is considered for post 1987 jerseys."

The Mastro Fisk had NO tagging - no poly tag, no strip tag which was typically found on 92 White Sox jerseys. To top it off, it had a retail neck tag. (Show me a single legit 90's Russell gamer with a neck tag). The Mastro Fisk couldn't be any more of a store jersey. Now here's the funny thing; in that very same Mastro White Sox lot, MEARS authenticated another 92 White Sox jersey that did have proper tagging. That is, it had no retail neck tag, and it had a strip tag showing the year and set. In other words, you examined 2 1992 White Sox jerseys with completely different tagging on both and yet your verdict was that they both showed correct tagging?

"Therefore, if the examined jersey does not match 100% correctly with all of the above, no A5 grade is awarded"

Well, I guess we've now seen that's not really true. I love all this talk about how stringent and rigorous the MEARS process is while the reality seems to show otherwise. I'm curious, did the Carew glove "match your worksheet and database"? How about the 2004 Clemens jersey featured in a 2005 VA auction that had incorrectly colored numbers. Did either of those "match 100% correctly"? If they did, then perhaps it's time to flush your database down the toilet. (See if you can squeeze Bushing in there too).

Rudy.

trsent
08-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Rudy, the Carlton Fisk jersey you are discussing doesn't exist. It had the wrong photograph listed in the original auction but it was corrected immediately by the Mastro staff.

No hologram was ever placed on the jersey you keep bringing up as an A10 graded jersey. This was a Mastro error that was corrected and shouldn't be brought up again as it was made right. Look at your picture of the jersey and see no MEARS hologram on it? That is because the jersey was never examined by MEARS.

The MEARS hologram number is: 303561 for the correct jersey. I never owned this jersey, but I know the original owner who bought the jersey right from The Chicago White Sox. I just called Troy and he told me the correct jersey does not have an issue and is genuine.

Eric
08-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Please also note that the discussion of the a5 grade is important especially to newer collectors who may be discovering game used collecting for the first time. Veteran collectors may not not to count on grades of LOAs, but newer hobbyists haven't necessarily learned that yet.
Eric

kingjammy24
08-04-2006, 06:08 PM
joel: if the 92 fisk jersey shown in the mastro auction was never authenticated by mears, then i sincerely apologize for what i said.
it's clearly a retail jersey. one wonders where the pic came from and how it ended up on mastro? no post from mears on their board at the time to the tone of "hey that fisk jersey in the mastro jersey isn't ours"? ah well.
who knows where it came from or where it ended up. but if mears didn't put a sticker on it, then mea culpa, i apologize, and good for them.
fyi every jersey in that entire whitesox lot was graded a10 because i believe it came with some sort of team letter. team letter or not, the fisk
pictured was rubbish. good work joel.

rudy.

PK
08-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Maybe it is just me, but did Troy specifically address the Ward jersey or not:confused:

Eric
08-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Maybe it is just me, but did Troy specifically address the Ward jersey or not:confused:

He did- and it's located in the other thread about the Ward jersey in vintage

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=3897