PDA

View Full Version : Bengie Molina gets a ws ring no matter what.

Fnazxc0114
10-24-2010, 06:54 PM
how cool is that?
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-molina102410

thegoodz15
10-24-2010, 07:49 PM
hey j ro,

lets go rangers........if that is not the best information to have on any team....go to vegas and bet the rangers big...scotty g

gingi79
10-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Everyone pay attention, this will be a Jeopardy question one day....

I think it's awesome. How does he feel if he loses and gets it though? I mean on one hand, he was a contributing fact to their regular season success and enabled them to make the postseason. Not to mention the fact he was such a positive influence on their pitching staff and team as a veteran. On the other, they told him to kiss off, we want the rookie Posey to take your job. (And that kid is a superstar in the making so it's not like he's a bust)

No matter what, for the first time ever, we already know whose going to get a WS title ring before a game is played.

mbrieve
10-25-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm curious the last time this happened. The one other instance I am aware of is Sid Monge. He played in 13 games for the San Diego Padres and played in 19 games for the Detroit Tigers during the 1984 season. The Tigers defeated the Padres in the 1984 World Series. Monge did not appear in the WS for the Tigers, but I believe he was an alternate if any pitcher was injured.

LastingsMilledge85
10-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Too bad for Chris Ray I guess, he was on both teams but I guess he doesn't have the same guarantee as Molina. Nevertheless, that is a very comforting feeling in a way going into the series, but I can't imagine that's what it's all about for Molina, he definitely wants to win just like everyone else there.

Chris78
10-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Too bad for Chris Ray I guess, he was on both teams but I guess he doesn't have the same guarantee as Molina. Nevertheless, that is a very comforting feeling in a way going into the series, but I can't imagine that's what it's all about for Molina, he definitely wants to win just like everyone else there.
Chris Ray should get both rings as well as he played for both teams during the season (and quite a number of games as well). I know that the Phillies gave rings to some of the Ironpigs players such as Andy Tracy, Lou Marson, etc. that only played in a handful of games. If I am not mistaken, Wes Helms actually got a ring in 2008, but never appeared in a game for the Phillies that year as he was on the lineup card in the first few games in April 2008 before being traded to the Marlins.

Chris

LastingsMilledge85
10-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Chris,
On another note when I saw Razor Shines in a hotel in 2009 and he had a Phillies ring as well and he was the manager for Clearwater in 2008. How do you figure?

Fnazxc0114
10-25-2010, 03:51 PM
I know david murphy got a ring the last time the red sox won it. Pretty sure he didnt play much at all for them, but may be wrong.

LastingsMilledge85
10-25-2010, 04:21 PM
I really wonder how the ring system works. I know the team votes on particular people, but I think some people within the organization may be able to purchase one? Remember earlier this year with the Yankees' minor league coaches that had their rings stolen?

Chris78
10-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Chris,
On another note when I saw Razor Shines in a hotel in 2009 and he had a Phillies ring as well and he was the manager for Clearwater in 2008. How do you figure?
Yes, I am pretty sure that all of the minor league managers and coaches received rings for both 2008 (WS) and 2009 (NL) within the Phillies organization. The Phillies may be different than other teams though. I guess that they figure that the minor league managers/coaches have developed the players that were in the World Series that year -- starting in Spring Training. I know that this year I was at the game where the Ironpigs staff (Huppert, Gross, and Nichols) received their NL rings. I am not sure who else would receive rings beyond this (i.e. scouts, etc.).

Chris

LastingsMilledge85
10-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Yes, I am pretty sure that all of the minor league managers and coaches received rings for both 2008 (WS) and 2009 (NL) within the Phillies organization. The Phillies may be different than other teams though. I guess that they figure that the minor league managers/coaches have developed the players that were in the World Series that year -- starting in Spring Training. I know that this year I was at the game where the Ironpigs staff (Huppert, Gross, and Nichols) received their NL rings. I am not sure who else would receive rings beyond this (i.e. scouts, etc.).

Chris

Huppert actually spent time with the big league club during 2008 unlike the other coaches mentioned.

godwulf
10-25-2010, 06:46 PM
When it comes to players voting, I think some folks might be confusing rings with money - as in postseason share money. I believe that there is wide latitude as to how the money is divvied up, and that the players do vote on...whereas pretty much everyone in the organization of the team that wins the WS automatically gets some level of ring - players (even if they were on the roster for one day), broadcasters, the equipment room guys, even the team sponsor company execs. I might be wrong, but I don't believe anyone votes on who gets a ring. Of course, this is a rare and highly unusual situation, but I don't think it's a case of the Giants management being particularly generous; I'm sure that, were the Giants to take the Series, every player on the roster throughout the regular season would be getting one of the top-tier rings; it's just an oddity that one of those guys happened to be playing in the Series against them.

Chris78
10-25-2010, 09:11 PM
When it comes to players voting, I think some folks might be confusing rings with money - as in postseason share money. I believe that there is wide latitude as to how the money is divvied up, and that the players do vote on...whereas pretty much everyone in the organization of the team that wins the WS automatically gets some level of ring - players (even if they were on the roster for one day), broadcasters, the equipment room guys, even the team sponsor company execs. I might be wrong, but I don't believe anyone votes on who gets a ring. Of course, this is a rare and highly unusual situation, but I don't think it's a case of the Giants management being particularly generous; I'm sure that, were the Giants to take the Series, every player on the roster throughout the regular season would be getting one of the top-tier rings; it's just an oddity that one of those guys happened to be playing in the Series against them.
I am referring to the rings and how many people actually get them (i.e. equipment guys, scouts, broadcasters, etc.)? In the case that we are referring to, both Bengie Molina and Chris Ray would receive a WS ring regardless of who wins, and for that matter, a NL/AL ring as well. The "money" aspect is something totally different.

Chris

island_style
10-26-2010, 05:59 AM
My friend's dad was a scout for the Dodgers and received World Series rings for the 1981 and 1988 seasons. His top signing was a pitcher out of high school named Sid Fernandez.

As for the money aspect, I received a very small share of playoff money when the Dodgers made the playoffs while I was working for them. My department received a partial share, which was then divided amongst the group. It wasn't a large amount, but it was nice of the club to recognize the work force.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com