PDA

View Full Version : If you could find out about your game used bats history, would you?

zookerman182
10-24-2010, 09:16 PM
I am curious to see what collectors think about this.

Which would you rather own.

A: A game used bat of your favorite player with perfect use and player characteristics.

B: A game used bat of your favorite player with perfect use and player characteristics with a perfect photomatch to 3 games in which the player went 1-15 with 5 K's.

I kind of like the mystery of not knowing how the player did while swinging your bat.

Obviously a bat with a photomatch and good stats is ideal but what would you all want. A or B?

indyred
10-24-2010, 09:21 PM
B, NOTHING BEATS A SOLID PHOTO MATCH. Even if they stunk it up that game, still no question to it being game used. Esp for bats, they can be tought to get a solid match on.

AWA85
10-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Personally when the bat saw some action but not many hits, I would prefer to pass. I have passed on some mlb hologram bats that match up with 0-4 games with nothing but K's to note.

On a bat like that, I would rather not know when it was used.

CampWest
10-25-2010, 09:52 AM
I'd always prefer the photomatched, if they have similar amounts of usage. But since you said its my favorite player, I'd probably take both.

To AWA passing on bad games dated from the MLB holo, most bats are used in more than one game. I have a bat that was broken early in a 1-5, 2K game. I went back a couple games and was able to photomatch to a 3-5 with 3 doubles game and a 3-5 with 2HR game. Those were sandwiched around a 2-3, 2-5, 2-4, 2-4... in total I think the bat saw about a 15 for 28 streak with the player's 45th double on the season and the player won a Player of The Week award based on that stretch of games. Had I worried too much about the one game it was broken, I might have missed out on a bat with some really good history.

I had another bat broken in a 0-4, 3K game and photomatched it to the day before with a 3-5, 2 Doubles, HR, 5RBI. Unproductive games happen, its part of baseball, knowing a bat was not productive doesn't make the bat any less meaningful than an unknown bat in my opinion.

AWA85
10-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Camp- I agree doing some research can tell a lot more about how successful a piece of lumber was. I was referring to the original post talking about a 1-15 skid with 5 k's. I will pass on that bad boy.

yankees506
10-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Yes, im really tired of wondering what happened with my bat, what career hit #, maybe hr #. Or even what career k, if ant bp use. im not big on anything but home run bats. A gamer is a gamer, unless no clear ball marks (thats the only bat id pass on)