PDA

View Full Version : do you keep or remove holograms/stickers from game used?

salmon
10-26-2010, 06:17 AM
Hi everyone one, do most of you keep your hologram/stickers on game used items or do you remove them because they take away from how the item originally looks as shown being used in a game? Those who remove the holograms, what is the best way to do so without causing them to break? Thank you and have a great day!

spartakid
10-26-2010, 07:52 AM
I keep them

indyred
10-26-2010, 12:59 PM
This is no brainer. Most people buying authenticated stuff from MLB authenticated, Steiner, NFL/NBA auctions ect DO FOR A REASON. That it's authenticated with holograms, beyond me why anyone would take them off.

jetersbatboy
10-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I have and will keep doing so, only if I can find a photo match. And what I mean by photo match is indisputable visual evidence that is the exact item pictured in the photo!!! To me a perfect photo match is worth more then a sticky piece of shinny foil.

CampWest
10-26-2010, 01:34 PM
keep.

I did make a mistake once removing what I thought was some ugly white inventory sticker... Then later discovered it was the MLB tagging as part of the maple broken bat study of 2008. Those big ugly white stickers definitely added validation to the item and told an interesting story of what was going on with baseball bats at that point in history and also helped validate the item's authenticity and in-game use.

I have since gotten a couple more maple broken bat study stickered bats and have left those stickers on, because I like the history of it more than seeing another 1"x2" of wood.

Specific to game used authentication holograms, I keep them 100% of the time and would never consider removing it. The placement is often not the best, but I'm not taking them off. If I got an item with a hologram from an unknown/untrusted authenticator that adds no value, I might take it off.

salmon
10-26-2010, 01:37 PM
I have and will keep doing so, only if I can find a photo match. And what I mean by photo match is indisputable visual evidence that is the exact item pictured in the photo!!! To me a perfect photo match is worth more then a sticky piece of shinny foil.

Hi everyone thanks for the replies. jetersbatboy, so if you decide to one day sell off your items which you removed the holograms from do you worry about taking a loss because of this? Or do you feel having a photo-match will make up for this? Thank you and have a good day!

AWA85
10-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Although I hate these stickers with a passion, I leave them on. Wish they could be placed on the inside of jerseys, under hats, possibly on the top of bats, anywhere but the display views.

Oh well, price we pay for authentication.

salmon
10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi everyone, please offer your advice on what I should do with a jersey I recently purchased with paper LOA and MLB Authenticated hologram on the tagging. The hologram states it was authenticated on the same day the player pitched but after watching the game again, I can safely say the jersey he pitched in is not the one in my possession. I am pretty sure it is a jersey used in other games that was probably in the locker room as a back-up when authenticated. Perhaps there was a mix up on MLB's part. I am considering removing the MLB Authenticated hologram because I do not want to give the impression, if I resell it, that this jersey is the jersey player pitched in for the day jersey was authenticated. Should I or not? Thank you and have a good day!

jetersbatboy
10-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Hi everyone thanks for the replies. jetersbatboy, so if you decide to one day sell off your items which you removed the holograms from do you worry about taking a loss because of this? Or do you feel having a photo-match will make up for this? Thank you and have a good day!

Yes and no, I think a sold photo match adds to the value for most seasoned collectors. Now for a novice collectors the holo is worth more, so it depends who you are selling to. In my want add I ask for team LOAs or MLB auth, and that because some team, depending on year did not let go jersey without a LOA. Like the A's, I'm told from the early 2000s the issued LOAs to all jersey sold at there fan fest till this past year 2010. So since I'd like a Kurt Suzuki jersey, I'd like a team letter if the jersey is from before 2010. I think the royals also do this, so I'd like a LOA for any jersey I'd buy from them. That's just me!!

mbenga28
10-26-2010, 02:58 PM
you'd be a moron to remove an MLB hologram:

"The holograms that are used by Authenticators, Inc. are designed to come apart if tampered with. Sometimes if the item is not handled properly the hologram can be partially removed as well. To avoid counterfeiting or switching, once a hologram shows signs of removal the policy is to void the hologram and no replacement can be made."

according to Authenticated taking off a hologram would render your item worthless.

jetersbatboy
10-26-2010, 03:16 PM
you'd be a moron to remove an MLB hologram

Guess I'm a moron!!! I have bin called worse but!!!

nycpropain
10-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi everyone, please offer your advice on what I should do with a jersey I recently purchased with paper LOA and MLB Authenticated hologram on the tagging. The hologram states it was authenticated on the same day the player pitched but after watching the game again, I can safely say the jersey he pitched in is not the one in my possession. I am pretty sure it is a jersey used in other games that was probably in the locker room as a back-up when authenticated. Perhaps there was a mix up on MLB's part. I am considering removing the MLB Authenticated hologram because I do not want to give the impression, if I resell it, that this jersey is the jersey player pitched in for the day jersey was authenticated. Should I or not? Thank you and have a good day!

Whats the problem here? It was authenticated on that date its pretty clear.

quiggle28
10-26-2010, 08:40 PM
I recently purchased a Yankees game jersey and received it with the MLB hologram broken in some spots so I decided to remove it completely and affix it onto the Steiner Letter of Authenticity. Looks somewhat shoddy but at least the letters and numbering are still intact to match up with the LOA.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6396/img2179yn.jpg

AWA85
10-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Where did you purchase the jersey from? Are you sure it is the real deal and somebody did not just apply a broken/used hologram to the jersey the same way you applied it to the letter?

LWMM
10-26-2010, 11:38 PM
A Lampson hologram well of one of my jerseys some time back (didn't stick well at all, and came off fully intact), and I just stuck it next to the matching one on the COA. Considering who authenticated the jersey, though, I doubt the value would change much without the hologram.

Fnazxc0114
10-26-2010, 11:42 PM
something to think about i just bought a jersey from the highland mint and they wouldnt give me the holo number. Said people were making fake holo's using the numbers they gave them.

quiggle28
10-27-2010, 06:14 AM
Where did you purchase the jersey from? Are you sure it is the real deal and somebody did not just apply a broken/used hologram to the jersey the same way you applied it to the letter?

directly from Steiner Sports, the MLB hologram was affixed onto the jocktag but parts of it had that broken look to it and seems like the hologram wasn't going to stick for the long run so I tried to gently remove it but it started breaking up and leaving residue on the jocktag. salvaged whatever I could and placed it on the Letter of Authenticity. I'm surprised the number and letters that could be entered onto MLB Authentication database didn't break apart though. I also removed the Steiner hologram, which interestingly, it came off with relative ease and fully intact and I also placed that on the Steiner LOA.

Mulligans
10-31-2010, 07:31 PM
I leave the MLB's where they are. On a few occassions I have accidently washed them and they were fine. (Jackets only)

I always remove the NFL Stickers and put them directly on the card and file them away.....If you don't, they will definitely fall off. The stickers from 3 or 4 years ago were fine the new ones really stink.

NHL....NBA....Thank you Meigray!

solarlottry
11-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Most I leave on especially NFL auction ones but a MEARS A5 I had on a 49ers gamer with legit team letter I took off. My reasoning was that the shirt was a non superstar so the possibility of a fake was low. Plus that season this player didn't play that much so it was worn on the sideline, thus the lack of use. I have no plans to sell the shirt so I took the sticker off. Another few stickers I removed were from shops and dealers whose "authenticity" really doesn't change the item. I have a Roger Craig 1990 gamer with tons of use and thought that the sticker from a random cards shop means nothing so I removed it.

I always leave stickers from JO etc intact.

Always buying 49ers gamers!!!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com