PDA

View Full Version : Who can authenticate game-used jerseys?

kmantm64
10-26-2010, 10:53 PM
There seems to be a lot of backlash against Lou Lampson for authenticating game-used jerseys. Who do you recommend out there to authenticate game-used jerseys that you would all trust and buy items with their LOA attached?

trsent
10-27-2010, 12:48 AM
There seems to be a lot of backlash against Lou Lampson for authenticating game-used jerseys. Who do you recommend out there to authenticate game-used jerseys that you would all trust and buy items with their LOA attached?

Most people on here don't trust anyone, they say do your homework and ask lots of questions before buying anything game used.

I personally trust MEARS (www.mearsonline.com (http://www.mearsonline.com)) to authenticate many jerseys. Their service is not cheap, but the have a detailed process and are open to discussions if errors are found after the fact.

kmantm64
10-27-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm actually looking to sell things rather than buy them. They come directly from the family of the player. Would a letter from the family be more convincing than a review from MEARS? Also, do you have to sell an item through MEARS or will they simply just authenticate? Thanks.

ziggy
10-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Who is the player? If it is a star player would get a letter from family...If it is a common player, etc I wouldnt worry about a letter.

kmantm64
10-27-2010, 10:26 AM
It's a Jim Palmer full Orioles uniform from 1987. I'm assuming it was worn during spring training since he retired in 1984. That is the dilema I'm facing. I have no doubt it's legit, but everyone knows what my opinion is worth in this matter. That's why I wanted someone to authenticate it. I personally was impressed by the only interaction I've had with Lampson, he gave us a very detailed and thorough evaluation of a Mike Curtis Super Bowl V jersey that my company auctioned off. His LOA was 4 pages and very in depth.

Baseball83
10-27-2010, 11:48 AM
GREYFLANNEL has always been helpful to me. They have given me honest and objective opinions about items I presented for evaluation.

ironmanfan
10-27-2010, 11:55 AM
It's a Jim Palmer full Orioles uniform from 1987. I'm assuming it was worn during spring training since he retired in 1984. That is the dilema I'm facing. I have no doubt it's legit, but everyone knows what my opinion is worth in this matter. That's why I wanted someone to authenticate it. I personally was impressed by the only interaction I've had with Lampson, he gave us a very detailed and thorough evaluation of a Mike Curtis Super Bowl V jersey that my company auctioned off. His LOA was 4 pages and very in depth.

The source of this particular jersey is Jim Palmer's ex-wife...When they split a few years ago, Jim obviously moved out and had left some things behind at the house.

It's a legit jersey that he wore at ST as a coach/instructor......I saw the jersey at the Philly Show last month and it's really neat!

TNTtoys
10-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Isn't this uniform already being offered by an auction house this month?

ironmanfan
10-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Isn't this uniform already being offered by an auction house this month?

Yes, Schulte Sports, the same outfit that has the Sosa corked bat.

Palmer's ex-wife is the consignor...

TNTtoys
10-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Yes, Schulte Sports, the same outfit that has the Sosa corked bat.

Palmer's ex-wife is the consignor...

So then why if the item is already on the auction block are we now looking to authenticate it? Doesn't this string of events appear to be a little backwards?

legaleagle92481
10-27-2010, 01:27 PM
So Kmantm64 your Schulte? I would say roll with what you got. It is a spring training post retirement jersey, hence we are not talking about an item worth 1,000s. If it were a regular or post season jersey from his career I would say go with Mears as they are the best but for what they will charge you it probably is not worth authenticating. I think its worth between 500 and a grand. The ex-wife's letter should be good enough as an experienced collector will check it out before buying anyway. Don't use Lampson its like burning money as his letters make people less likely to buy.

Jude716511
10-27-2010, 02:04 PM
GREYFLANNEL has always been helpful to me. They have given me honest and objective opinions about items I presented for evaluation.

As of January 2010 Grey Flannel No longer does 3rd party authentication. If you consign for their auction the item gets authenticated. But, they no longer accept submissions for that sole purpose.

kmantm64
10-27-2010, 08:50 PM
I just work for Schulte Sports/Auctions. I don't know if the jersey will hit the reserve set by the family and wanted to know if additional authentication would increase the value. I wanted to get a sense of who people want these items authenticated by. For example, we recently stopped accepting autographs from GAI, and only go with PSA and JSA now. I'm sure some of you will disagree, but a lot of GAI items weren't being approved by JSA and we don't want to take any chances. Right now we use Lampson for our jerseys and it seems like most people aren't big fans of his. I suppose you can't please everybody.

WadeInBmore
10-27-2010, 09:08 PM
I just work for Schulte Sports/Auctions. I don't know if the jersey will hit the reserve set by the family and wanted to know if additional authentication would increase the value. I wanted to get a sense of who people want these items authenticated by. For example, we recently stopped accepting autographs from GAI, and only go with PSA and JSA now. I'm sure some of you will disagree, but a lot of GAI items weren't being approved by JSA and we don't want to take any chances. Right now we use Lampson for our jerseys and it seems like most people aren't big fans of his. I suppose you can't please everybody.

why not just come out and say that then in the first place?! by simply not stating the facts about the basics you only add that much more of apprehension to your own credibility and that of schulte IMO.

IDEA: instead of making it sound like you are a collector looking to move items, say "hey, i'm associated with an auction house and was curious about authentication preferences and why. that way we can best serve the collecting public with a trusted and well like authentication service(r)."

its easy. people need to stop being so sneaky! I mean this is boarderline an advertisement thread, created to drum up a buzz about an item(s) and create hype and interest.

Sorry, but somebody had to say it.

wade

kmantm64
10-27-2010, 09:17 PM
I was trying to avoid making this an advertisement, that is exactly why I didn't say I work for an auction house. I'm not trying to be sneaky. I've been contacted about not advertising on these posts and that is exactly why I didn't want to make an issue of this. My whole point was to give people what they want and find out what that is. If I came across as deceptive in any way, I apologize, that was not my intent.

legaleagle92481
10-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Maybe the reserve is unrealstically high. There is only so much people will pay for an item no matter who the letter is from. This particular item I can see not attracting much interest because:

1. It is a spring training jersey which always fetch less than regular season counterparts and

2. It is a coaches/instructors jersey which always fetch much less than a jersey worn while active.

So if I were you guys I would talk with the consignor about lowering the reserve it might solve your problems.

commando
10-27-2010, 09:47 PM
The bottom line, as I see it, is that people want to be sure they're buying the real deal. An authentication service is supposed to provide peace of mind to a buyer, but nothing they say can be as ironclad as a letter from the spouse of the player who supposedly wore the items.

I guess I should also mention that this uniform is old enough to be unique. The combo of the uniform being one of a kind, ALONG with a nicely written letter from the former Mrs. Palmer should be more than enough for most collectors. Now it's just a matter of how many collectors will be interested and how much money they are ready to spend!

trsent
10-27-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm actually looking to sell things rather than buy them. They come directly from the family of the player. Would a letter from the family be more convincing than a review from MEARS? Also, do you have to sell an item through MEARS or will they simply just authenticate? Thanks.

Personally, a letter from Mrs. Palmer wouldn't hurt this item. If it was submitted to MEARS it may help create a higher grade.

I'm pretty sure MEARS won't authenticate an item for another auction house. The policy I remember is that they will write a letter for a collector for their personal collection, but they will not authenticate for the purpose of selling the item at an auction house other than their's.

I know if an auction house is willing to let MEARS audit their auctions and bidding activity, in order to guarantee a 100% legitimate auction with no shill bidding, they used to be hired to authenticate for certain auctions houses. I do not know if they still offer this service, but if any auction house accepts this policy their books will be subject to MEARS inspection.

To be honest with you, I don't believe a Jim Palmer Spring Training uniform will have much value. The real value would be with anything he wore in auction game situations over his career.

kmantm64
10-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Thank you everyone. I think the general consensus is stick with the family letter for this item. I really didn't mean to make this go on so long.

trsent
10-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Thank you everyone. I think the general consensus is stick with the family letter for this item. I really didn't mean to make this go on so long.

No problem, it is a fun discussion.

skinsfan0521
10-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Yeah, I think that the general consensus is that the letter would be fine.

But the real lesson to be learned is to not have anything to do with Lou Lampson. Nobody trusts that guy and it's not for no reason. He authenticates anything that they pay him to authenticate as far as I'm concerned.

sox83cubs84
10-28-2010, 03:01 PM
I think Mrs. Palmer's letter supercedes anything that a third-party authenticator could add to it...and this is coming from a third-party authenticator.;)

Dave Miedema