X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sox83cubs84
    Banned
    • Apr 2009

Biggest idiot of the 2010 WS...?

Never mind a manager having a brain cramp, or a runner getting picked off first. I'll give it to the Rangers fan who threw back Andres Torres' 8th inning home run a few hours ago.

The guy obviously isn't a collector, but doesn't this boob realize what he could get for it on the hobby market, if he had video of the play?

And...this knucklehead isn't even a Wrigley Field bleacher drunk!

Dave Miedema
  • trsent
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: Biggest idiot of the 2010 WS...?

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
    Never mind a manager having a brain cramp, or a runner getting picked off first. I'll give it to the Rangers fan who threw back Andres Torres' 8th inning home run a few hours ago.

The guy obviously isn't a collector, but doesn't this boob realize what he could get for it on the hobby market, if he had video of the play?

And...this knucklehead isn't even a Wrigley Field bleacher drunk!

Dave Miedema
    Dave, not everyone is looking to make a dollar every time they catch a baseball.

Comment

• nationals2k9
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by trsent
      Dave, not everyone is looking to make a dollar every time they catch a baseball.
      +1

I'm guessing that being at the Rangers first World Series home game EVER and throwing that "trash" back on the field is far more empowering and memorable than making a few bucks off the ball. That said, I understand that your passion for getting a baseball like that drives you to think a certain way when you see someone else do that with a ball. I'm guessing many of us think similarly about our favorite things in the hobby.

Comment

• camarokids
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by nationals2k9
        I'm guessing many of us think similarly about our favorite things in the hobby.
        Reminds me of the Cardinals Spring Training camp where employees were throwing broken bats away in the dumpster.........
        Thank you,
        David

This is my email address here!
        dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• Bravesfan
          Banned
          • Aug 2010

That fan is probably a bigger fan than any of us.

Comment

• flota89
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by camarokids
            Reminds me of the Cardinals Spring Training camp where employees were throwing broken bats away in the dumpster.........
            I almost had a heart attack watching that.
            Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
            flotaboys@hotmail.com

Comment

• godwulf
              • Aug 2007

I'm told that the practice of throwing the other team's home run balls back onto the field originated at Wrigley - whatever. It's stupid, whether it's in a World Series game or any other. It makes doing The Wave look like pure genius. And it doesn't make you a better fan.
              Jeff
              godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• trsent
                Banned
                • Nov 2005

I personally have a hard time understanding why anyone would throw a baseball back. I have gone to maybe 500 baseball games in my life, most before 1994. I have been given two baseball from the final out over the dugout and that is all.

I had a foul ball off Frank Thomas (Big Hurt) hit my hand, after hitting a little girl's hand and fly away. My hand hurt for a week or so. That was the closest I ever game to getting a baseball in the stands in around 500 lifetime games.

So, if a lucky moron finally catches a ball in the stands and throws it back, they fulfilled their dreams and gave it right back.

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
                  • May 2009

Whoa whoa whoa...there's still at least three more games left, let's wait before we crown the biggest idiot of the WS. On another note, these fools that throw the HR balls back will pay a big price someday. It's bound to happen someday that a fan that throws a ball back will strike the outfielder and then charges will be pressed.

Comment

• justinbittner220
                    • Apr 2010

I don't know if the act of throwing the ball back was necessarily dumb or not...

Do you think that seeing a fan throw the homerun ball back would inspire the Rangers or give them inspiration knowing that the fans are behind them?

Don't get me wrong though, as a collector, it is sad to see, but as a fan, I think it's pretty cool.

Comment

• RRexpressfan94
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by camarokids
                      they do the same at the end of the season at a local minor league stadium near me. what ever is left over in the lockers one week after the last game is throw in the trash (bats, gloves, etc.). To add to it i know a kid who went dumpster diving one night to look for stuff.

Comment

• Bravesfan
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2010

I never said it was smart. I never said I would throw it back either. But my reasons are purely selfish reasons. The fans reasons are his own and I don't really care what he does with his baseball.

Comment

• godwulf
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by RRexpressfan94
                          they do the same at the end of the season at a local minor league stadium near me. what ever is left over in the lockers one week after the last game is throw in the trash (bats, gloves, etc.). To add to it i know a kid who went dumpster diving one night to look for stuff.
                          If true, some equipment guys are sure missing out. You might be hard pressed to get ten bucks for some no-name bush leaguer's bat, or twenty for a worn-out glove, but occasionally one of those guys is going to crack the majors and then his minor league stuff is going to be in demand. Even the stuff from the guys who are destined to be business reps or realtors in five years is part of the team's history, and die-hard fans of that team would love to own it. Not everybody collects the high-end, Major League stuff, or particularly wants to.
                          Jeff
                          godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by trsent
                            I personally have a hard time understanding why anyone would throw a baseball back. I have gone to maybe 500 baseball games in my life, most before 1994. I have been given two baseball from the final out over the dugout and that is all.

I had a foul ball off Frank Thomas (Big Hurt) hit my hand, after hitting a little girl's hand and fly away. My hand hurt for a week or so. That was the closest I ever game to getting a baseball in the stands in around 500 lifetime games.

So, if a lucky moron finally catches a ball in the stands and throws it back, they fulfilled their dreams and gave it right back.
                            Wow that would have been an awesome one to catch. I know how you feel I have been to dozens upon dozens of games and never caught one either. I have been to different ball parks sat in different areas of the park and got nothing. Closest I came was an Adam Dunn homer that landed two rows behind me (the seats were empty and I lost the scrum to get it off the floor) and Gary Sheffield hit a foul duringthe 2009 season that hit the seat next to me that I might have had a chance at if I were not more concerned with making sure it did not hit the person I was with.

Comment

• Astros7
                              • Jul 2008

Having been at the 2005 World Series and seeing the Geoff Blum 14th inning "HR Ball" get thrown back on the field, Is anyone sure it was the actual ball? The "Geoff Blum ball" retrieved by the ball boy who sits about 5 feet from my seats was a regular MLB ball (not world series) and had a giant "H" on the sweet spot. This is how the Astros mark their BP balls. So that one obviously wasn't the real ball.....I wasn't watching that close, did a camera follow the ball into the stands and back out? Is there any footage showing the ball once it landed back on the field? Was it a WS ball, does anyone know? They use regular balls for BP even during the WS.

Comment

Working...