PDA

View Full Version : Downside to Auction Item Discussion

Swoboda4
11-01-2010, 07:33 AM
If there's a downside to asking a question for a current auction item on GameUsedForum.Com,it would be that you risk the very real danger of alerting competitors.
Recently I asked a question about a Wigginton bat I had bid on. Having lost the auction,I would have to say,what are the odds the winner was not among the 250 views,my thread gathered?
Now,I know enough not to post a current auction item I desperately want. And if I have a question about it I email the query to certain people. But has anybody else lost an item to someobody on the forum after asking a question on GUF?

Dach0sen0ne
11-01-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm pretty sure the majority of members are checking the auction sites on a rather frequent basis. So, if there's something you're watching the odds are someone is already watching it. I just checked eBay 5 times while writing this. :D

Tallyman77
11-01-2010, 10:25 AM
You know, asking a question about an auction item that you are interested in and then receiving positive replies from GUU members on that item may tend to give that item a sense of authentication........enough so to cause others in the forum to bid on and win that item.......what a downside bummer! :)

-Walt

Evergreen7777@att.net

legaleagle92481
11-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Unless you found an auction site noone knows about to me its a minor problem. Everyone here is well aware of what is out there for the most part.

LWMM
11-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Unless you found an auction site noone knows about to me its a minor problem. Everyone here is well aware of what is out there for the most part.

And in economic theory everyone acts rationally, no?

I would imagine that if an interesting item is posted about on the forum, it may lead some readers to throw in impulse bids. Posts about Francoeur bats with random things written on the knobs made me look for them on eBay, for instance, and (briefly) think about purchasing one, when I would otherwise never search for his bats. Even if one were to look through every single game used auction listed on eBay each day, I'm sure that some items would be glanced over before posts here either made them worthy of second looks or provided information making them seem more attractive.