PDA

View Full Version : Buster Posey's first ever Post-season HR ball...

AutographAddiction
11-01-2010, 09:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Texas-hospitality-Rangers-fan-hands-Buster-his-?urn=mlb-281665

Looks like this fan didn't know how much that ball is actually worth. But I guess he is a good "fan" for giving it back for such a wimpy trade anyways.

Your thoughts?

AutographAddiction
11-01-2010, 09:29 PM
On a similar note, who saw Josh Hamilton let his bat fly into the stands tonight in Game 5 of the World Series?

How much would you all say the Josh Hamilton bat and Posey first ever Postseason HR ball are actually worth?

zookerman182
11-01-2010, 10:08 PM
just guessing..

right now posey ball worth 2 grand
hamilton bat worth 1300

about a month before the season starts
posey ball worth 1200
hamilton bat worth 900

legaleagle92481
11-01-2010, 11:13 PM
My thoughts on Posey: Hold that ball. I have followed him since before he w drafted and I thought the Rays were moronic to have passed over him when they had the top pick the year he was drafted. This kid is going to be the best catcher in a long, long time. Imagine Joe Mauer if he had consistent power and that is what Buster will be. We are talking an MVP caliber player for the next 15 years. Sometimes a player just has it like Griffey Jr, Arod, Longoria, Chipper. etc. and from the start it is obvious they will be great that is what this kid is. Plus he plays on a great team in a large market so he gets plenty of nationwide exposure. Anyone who would sell the ball is foolish hold it for awhile and you have a ball worth 25k plus. He will never hit another first postseason homer and it is one of those special milestones in what will be a special career. Made even more special by the fact that they won it all the year it was hit. Has a first pstseason homer ball of a superstar ever even hit the market? If so what did it fetch?

The Hamilton bat is probably worth between a grand and 1,500 he uses alot of bats but people put a premium on everything touched in the Series even if the guy is on the losing team.

lehmsbobby
11-01-2010, 11:49 PM
I know the kid that ended up with the bat he threw into the stands by mistake in game 2...

LastingsMilledge85
11-02-2010, 12:28 AM
My thoughts on Posey: Hold that ball. I have followed him since before he w drafted and I thought the Rays were moronic to have passed over him when they had the top pick the year he was drafted. This kid is going to be the best catcher in a long, long time. Imagine Joe Mauer if he had consistent power and that is what Buster will be. We are talking an MVP caliber player for the next 15 years. Sometimes a player just has it like Griffey Jr, Arod, Longoria, Chipper. etc. and from the start it is obvious they will be great that is what this kid is. Plus he plays on a great team in a large market so he gets plenty of nationwide exposure. Anyone who would sell the ball is foolish hold it for awhile and you have a ball worth 25k plus. He will never hit another first postseason homer and it is one of those special milestones in what will be a special career. Made even more special by the fact that they won it all the year it was hit. Has a first pstseason homer ball of a superstar ever even hit the market? If so what did it fetch?

The Hamilton bat is probably worth between a grand and 1,500 he uses alot of bats but people put a premium on everything touched in the Series even if the guy is on the losing team.

Wouldn't you have difficulty selling a ball for 25k without solid provenance? The ball can't be authenticated by MLB and I have no idea what other proof you can have that it is the actual ball.

Fnazxc0114
11-02-2010, 02:54 AM
or he could end up being the next dontrelle willis, jeff francour etc.

trsent
11-02-2010, 03:10 AM

Stephen Strasburg?

Manram
11-02-2010, 08:49 AM
I would have asked buster for a game used bat as well as the signed ball he recieved

LastingsMilledge85
11-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Stephen Strasburg?

Strasburg isn't a bust yet, got to give the guy a chance.

tbone90
11-02-2010, 11:54 AM
As collectors it's easy for us to say what we would take in exchange or what this person should have received for this ball. But the the baseball enthusiast or non collector just this experience might be satisfactory.

I wouldn't have held the ball for ransom but I would have certainly included an autographed game used post season bat in the exchange...and maybe some catchers gear. Busters hockey style catchers mask would be one heck of a piece to have.

happyyoungster
11-02-2010, 03:25 PM
No matter what a fan asks for...
he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
MLB doesn't owe me anything nor do I owe MLB anything.

I've traded em' back for handshakes, for bats, for photo ops and for promises. Each time, I felt like crap afterwards.
Regardless if it was the right thing or the wrong thing to do.

cjclong
11-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Did Hamilton throw his bat in the stands in Game 2? We were at game 5 of the series when he threw a bat into the stands. Does anyone know if it was one of the LVS World Series bats? It looked Brand new. And does the kid who got a bat he threw into the stands want to sell it?

AutographAddiction
11-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Did Hamilton throw his bat in the stands in Game 2? We were at game 5 of the series when he threw a bat into the stands. Does anyone know if it was one of the LVS World Series bats? It looked Brand new. And does the kid who got a bat he threw into the stands want to sell it?

Yeah, I think he let go of one in Game 2 as well!

legaleagle92481
11-04-2010, 08:41 AM

You can't compare young hitters to young pitchers. Alot of pitchers do well at first and then hitters figure them out and they fail to adjust and they are at a very high risk of injury. Also their success alot is reliant upon the team around them. Guys like Francour also had obvious holes that everyone ignored at first. Jeff taking a walk was like a major news event the guy swung at everything and pitchers exploited that plus he does not seem like the hardest worker.

legaleagle92481
11-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Wouldn't you have difficulty selling a ball for 25k without solid provenance? The ball can't be authenticated by MLB and I have no idea what other proof you can have that it is the actual ball.

I can't think of a way to prove it either. But as we have seen time and again when people want something, especially with big ticket items proof does not always matter.

LastingsMilledge85
11-04-2010, 10:44 AM
I can't think of a way to prove it either. But as we have seen time and again when people want something, especially with big ticket items proof does not always matter.

True, which sometimes leads to the biggest problem in this hobby and that's fakes.