PDA

View Full Version : Personal appeal of Game Issued items

Klattsy
11-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi All,

I tried searching for a similar topic but the search function doesn't seem to be working...

I am curious as to why someone would by a game issued jersey over a game used jersey. Why wouldn't you wait out for a GU?

I have been offered 2 MLB Certified Issued jersey's of 2 of my favourite players, but the seller is looking for $100 ea and i'm not sure if I can justify the price. For $100 I could wait around for a GU one...

Would like to know peoples motivation for splashing cash on GI stuff. Probably I should be asking "help me justify spending this much" :)

Thanks!
Mark.

tilley72
11-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Mark,

I don't know that there is necessary an appeal for game issued jerseys other than that they are cheaper. I know there are a few collectors that like game issued bats for this reason, but also that they may display a little crisper.

Now as for the specific jerseys you are referencing that are MLB certified game issued jerseys, I assume what you are saying is that the jerseys have MLB Authentication holograms and are listed in the database as 'Game Issued'. When it comes to jerseys that are listed as 'game issued' in the MLB Authentication database a great number of those jerseys are actually 'game used'. The reason, however, they are not listed as 'game used' is because the MLB Authenticator did not see the uniform come directly off of the player's back. (As in after the season bulk authentication sessions.) When items are authenticated in bulk at the end of the season, most of the authenticators tend to list the items as just 'game issued' to be on the safe side.

I hope this response helps you out.

-Andrew

legaleagle92481
11-05-2010, 10:14 AM
I never saw the appeal to me it is a waste and the definition of game issued most people use is very loose. Stuff that was never worn or touched by the player to me is like a glorified retail jersey.

harpt
11-05-2010, 10:32 AM
I never saw the appeal to me it is a waste and the definition of game issued most people use is very loose. Stuff that was never worn or touched by the player to me is like a glorified retail jersey.

I agree. However, a retail jersey of that quality is still worth more than 100 bucks. Some people buy game issued gear to have high quality stuff that they can come by more cheaply than if they were to buy it in the mall.

I have seen folks buy uncracked game bats of no-name players for $10 bucks and use them in the cage. The same bat at a sporting goods store probably retails for 60-100.

carct
11-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I have a 2009 Hinske game issued Yankees jersey with WS and inaugural patches. Got it from Steiner. I bought it for a couple reasons. 1. Price- Steiner has a gu road jersey for sale at $1000 and his gu World Series jersey is on the bay for $999. 2. Availability- Hinske only played 39 games for the Yanks. From what I can tell he had 2 home and 2 road jerseys available to him. One road jersey was worn in the World Series (ebay) and the other is the gu one on Steiner. One pinstripe gu jersey was sold through Steiner and the other is the the "game issued" jersey I have. Although Steiner calls it game issued, it does show some wear and the tail of the jersey is still dirty. I have yet to find a photo match.

mbenga28
11-05-2010, 01:38 PM
to me, if I am looking for a game used item and I find one but I cannot photo match it, it's no good to me and merits the same value of a game issued item and would get the game issued for a cheaper price instead.

NEFAN
11-05-2010, 02:19 PM
If I can get a "Game Issued" jersey for cheaper than pro shop price on a jersey I want to wear, I'll buy it. Otherwise, no real interest.

Klattsy
11-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks guys, great opinions so far. I think i'm swaying to not buying them now :) One appeal to getting them is the two players will be playing in my city soon and I can get them signed easily enough.

I assume what you are saying is that the jerseys have MLB Authentication holograms and are listed in the database as 'Game Issued'. When it comes to jerseys that are listed as 'game issued' in the MLB Authentication database a great number of those jerseys are actually 'game used'. The reason, however, they are not listed as 'game used' is because the MLB Authenticator did not see the uniform come directly off of the player's back. (As in after the season bulk authentication sessions.) When items are authenticated in bulk at the end of the season, most of the authenticators tend to list the items as just 'game issued' to be on the safe side.

Thanks Andrew, I knew this was the case, but one of the reason's i'm sure they are only issued is that the players didn't even play an MLB game that year! (Well, 1 player had 2 AB's in 1 game). I believe they where on the 40 man roster, but they have no info on baseball-reference.com as to stats.

Although I guess that could mean that they wore the jersey's but sat on the bench? I guess you would never know for sure...

Thanks all!
Mark.

MarinersFan34
11-05-2010, 04:28 PM
As others have said, sometimes buying a game issued jersey may be your only option. Depending on how much of a career the player has had or the popularity it may be incredibly difficult to find ANY jersey worn by that player. In my case, I am a fan of the M's and I thought Rafael Soriano never got the respect he deserved here and I had never seen any of his M's gamers, so I paid less than $100 for the only Soriano jersey I had ever seen at the time, which happened to be a team issued.

I have a couple of game issued jerseys in my collection and I don't mind at all, it's cheaper than paying full retail cost for a lettered jersey. Plus it might be a better alternative to getting jerseys signed. I know there's a large number of folks who prefer game used items without autographs since it's adding something to the jersey that wasn't there when it was worn. If it's just a team issued, I think it'd make for a great signed jersey. The numbers would be crisp and perfect for a nice signature.

If it makes you happy and you think you'd like it in your collection, go for it, don't worry about what the rest of us think :cool:

legaleagle92481
11-05-2010, 04:52 PM
If I can get a "Game Issued" jersey for cheaper than pro shop price on a jersey I want to wear, I'll buy it. Otherwise, no real interest.

A few of you guys say this so I am curious how do you find GI jerseys that fit? Most athletes are much larger than the average person so I would think a GI jersey would be too big on most people.

Tedw9
11-05-2010, 05:49 PM
If it makes you happy and you think you'd like it in your collection, go for it, don't worry about what the rest of us think :cool:

That is the best answer. You have to buy what you like and enjoy. Not everyone can afford big $$$ for a game used jersey and a game issued jersey is the next best thing. I would be and am happy with either or. It is just a matter of preference.

AWA85
11-05-2010, 07:01 PM
A few of you guys say this so I am curious how do you find GI jerseys that fit? Most athletes are much larger than the average person so I would think a GI jersey would be too big on most people.

legaleagle..... try hitting the weight room every once in awhile ;)

G1X
11-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Being a seller in addition to being a collector, I can say that there are quite a few collectors who like game-issued jerseys for a variety of reasons, mainly price and because they are looking for a jersey to wear. From a size standpoint, I can state that a number of collectors must be larger than many of the athletes as I get requests for the larger sizes from many of the guys who are looking to wear jerseys (much more so than smaller sizes). Good luck trying to sell a size 44 or even a 46 to many collectors who like to wear their jerseys. With football jerseys now being skin-tight and designed to fit snugly over the shoulder pads, even thin guys like me would be hard-pressed to find jerseys that fit.

There is a market for team-issued jerseys as I never seem to have too much trouble selling them whenever I put one up for sale. While most of us in this Forum tend to be hardcore game-used collectors, a lot of folks are just looking for a crisp jersey to display on their wall or else wear while cheering for their favorite team.

Keep in mind that 99.999999% of the people on this planet probably think that collecting sports uniforms worn by sweaty guys is a complete waste of money and downright insane. I kind of tend to agree, but I just can't help myself as I find collecting this stuff to be a whole lot of fun! :)

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League and Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis equipment. Will trade NFL durene jerseys for WFL jerseys!!!

Klattsy
11-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Good points Mark. I guess if I am going to pay the same price for a GI or GU, I might as well wait for a GU.

Plus there is no way they are to be worn by me so thats another strike.

Mark.

Mark17
11-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Good points Mark. I guess if I am going to pay the same price for a GI or GU, I might as well wait for a GU.

Plus there is no way they are to be worn by me so thats another strike.

Mark.

While I agree with those who say you should collect what you want and not be concerned with what other people think, I am glad your thinking has moved in this direction.

A couple years ago I was visiting with my sister (definitely NOT a sports fan.) I was telling her about a genuine Mickey Lolich flannel with number on sleeve and NOB that was at auction. I was thinking about bidding $2500 or so, but told her it would sell for much more, which it did.

Anyway, her comment was, why don't I buy a high-quality replica for a couple hundred dollars and be $2,300 ahead. To her, that was the obvious thing to do.

My reply was to take a notepad and write "George Washington" on the page. Then I said, "Okay what's more significant, this signature I've just written, that has no connection to Washington, or an authentic autograph that he himself wrote?"

Then she understood. My point is, the only thing that makes a jersey or bat significant (in my mind) is the connection to the player. Without that, it's a glorified retail item, as a previous poster said so well.

joshmiller0
11-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I bought a game issued jersey of my favorite player for a few reasons
1) I've only seen his jersey offered twice... the game worn one went for over $1000.. this was a quarter of the cost
2) It was supposed to be his first game ever in the NBA (although it was preseason...he ended up not playing)
3) I just wanted to have my favorite team hanging on the wall. Although it isn't worn.. I like having it hung knowing it came from the team

Also, unless you obtain the jersey yourself... I've found that the big name sellers of game used stuff usually wash the jerseys... To me, that's like buying a game issued... Sure it was worn, but as crazy as it sounds, I like having their sweat and whatnot in it...

As someone else pointed out though.. it's all about personal preference. My friends laugh at me when I tell them I want a game used head band or jersey...