PDA

View Full Version : Edgar Martinez TATC jersey

TNTtoys
11-05-2010, 04:25 PM
This afternoon, a 1999 Edgar Martinez TATC Mariners jersey just completed live auction at Heritage. I entered the day today as the high and only bidder. I had placed 2 bids; a min and a max.

The jersey just completed auction, and finished at roughly $100 less than my max bid -- on the screen, I was informed that I was "outbid" and that I hadn't won the lot. Wondering what happened I phoned Heritage and was told that there is no record in the system of my max bid and that there is nothing that can be done now to help me.

I'm writing to you guys in case one of you wound up getting the jersey today and would like to work something out with me; I would gladly reward you in some way for your help. If it weren't for a system glitch somewhere, I would not be writing this letter today.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

solarlottry
11-05-2010, 05:15 PM
I was watching the auction live at work today as I wanted the Steve Young shirt and noticed how few bids the TATC shirt you reference got. I thought it weird. I don't remember if it sold but if it did it sold for very, very cheap!

TNTtoys
10-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Mystery solved. I know now why the jersey went for so little (and am actually thankful that my bid got screwed up.

Here are 2 photos --

The first photo is the back of the actual jersey that was auctioned.

The second is a screen shot from the actual game where these were worn... notice the huge difference.

The problem with a lot of these jerseys is that with limited photos available, it is near impossible to do your homework... but my advice is to persevere!

Lokee
10-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Thank god for the Henderson guide huh.

TNTtoys
10-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Thank god for the Henderson guide huh.

I actually did not get that photo out of Henderson's guide; however, Bill Henderson was in fact the source of the photo. He has helped more members of this hobby than he probably will ever know...

MarinersFan34
10-07-2011, 01:28 PM
I think I may have been offered this same jersey or similar jersey in the past, guess it's a good thing I didn't have the funds for it back then.

Unfortunately I never saw either of the M's TATC games. Like you guys I've searched high and low for game photos from both events and there's not much to be found at all.

My question is then, if that image is from Henderson, where did the lettering come from for the "authentic/replica" on th left? Did another team use that same font and someone just applied it to a M's shirt?

TNTtoys
10-07-2011, 02:42 PM
where did the lettering come from for the "authentic/replica" on th left? Did another team use that same font and someone just applied it to a M's shirt?

Jeremy,

I have a lot more information now than I had then. Regarding the lettering on the Martinez jersey sold by Heritage... The font used is NOT a font that was used on a TATC jersey worn by any team throughout the promotion. Basically Russell used 4 or 5 different fonts; none of which match the lettering you see.
As there were no differences between the retail and the game worn TATC jerseys (right down to the tagging, etc.), I can only summize that the Heritage jersey is a retail authentic (possibly in the same exact size that Edgar Martinez would have worn on field) that was later customized in a "space age" font -- but incorrectly.

Nick

jppopma
10-07-2011, 10:59 PM
For a moment, I was thinking that this may have been from the Mariners TATC game in 1998 (the one time event that lead to the multi team promotion). I did a quick check and noticed that the jerseys for that game were black with a totally different nob style all together.

http://www.straitpinkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/mariners.jpg

I think you had someone looking out for you there TNT!