PDA

View Full Version : Name your most WTF? jersey you've owned or seen?

gingi79
11-06-2010, 08:25 PM
I recently attended a game in my new adopted home of North Carolina to see the Carolina Hurricanes take on the Pittsburgh Penguins. Other than being amazed that the jerseys worn by fans were an astounding 75% Penguins at an away game, I saw a jersey that was so head scratching that it inspired a 2 hour conversation with some fellow fans in my section.

So to continue my streak of posting sports discussions here to dissect them better, what jersey have you seen or owned that inspires people to wonder why the holy hell you would purchase or customize a jersey with that player. Here's my top 3:

#3 A NY Islanders Pavel Bure #10. I'm sure those of you who have followed the NHL in the 90's are wondering when Bure played on Long Island. The answer is: He didn't. Someone actually payed over $200 to customize their favorite players name on their favorite teams jersey, even though he didn't play for them. Just Wow.

#2 A Don Majikowski (sp?) Detroit Lions jersey. Look, I'm not a Packers fan so I can only speak as an outsider. Other than the one season that Sterling Sharpe made him "Majik", the guy appeared to be a scrub as a starter. But as a backup on his final team? Look, this jersey was not mass produced. Unless he's a family member, this was the leader in my mind for over a decade in the WTF catagory.

#1 A Dan Cloutier Canucks jersey. My reason for this post. Clouts once let in a goal from the red line. As a dump in PASS in the PLAYOFFS!!!! Ask a Red Wings fan. I think Hasek once kicked a beach ball from his own goal that scored. Nevermind the fact the best line in hockey played for the Canucks in 2003. They got beat in 7 games ONLY BECAUSE OF DAN. Some poor kid was wearing a Cloutier Canucks shirt at the Pens-Canes game and I wanted to yank it over his head and pummel him.

Please tell me there is a jersey more WTF than this. I doubt you can.

sctizzle
11-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Gingi--

I have Clouts' stick from that infamous goal. I'm sure that would go great in your collection! It's a great photo match lol

I used to own about 12 of his jerseys...great potential and just never amounted to anything.

Scott

eisenreich8
11-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Not a hockey jersey WTF but back when I lived in Mass. a close friend often wore his white authentic Pats jersey with his last name on the back and #16, which was the day he was born. He would wear the jersey to Pats home games and invariably fans in Foxboro would ask him "who the eff is "XXXXXXX". How the guy could even hold his head up was beyond me.

Add to that the jersey, customized, cost him about $250.

It was a regrettable purchase even by his own admission, but he still wore it "around". I always shook my head and burped up a little acid whenever I saw it.

And, Matt, next time you plan to go to the RBC Center, you better let me know. I'm only 8 miles from the damn place.

scootmagroot
11-07-2010, 01:34 AM
What sport are you talking about in 1 and 3? I'm so lost.

sox83cubs84
11-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Seen more than once:

White Sox home pinstriped jerseys with a name and number on back of BARTMAN 03. Given the almost psychotic hatred of the Cubs that many White Sox fans possess, it wouldn't be a stretch to offer the opinion that there are White Sox fans (and not just 2 or 3) who rejoiced as or more loudly when the Cubs went down in 2003 than they did when their own team went all the way 2 years later...I have yet to see a CHAMPS 05 jersey on the South Side.

Dave Miedema

NEFAN
11-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Not a hockey jersey WTF but back when I lived in Mass. a close friend often wore his white authentic Pats jersey with his last name on the back and #16, which was the day he was born. He would wear the jersey to Pats home games and invariably fans in Foxboro would ask him "who the eff is "XXXXXXX". How the guy could even hold his head up was beyond me.

Add to that the jersey, customized, cost him about $250.

It was a regrettable purchase even by his own admission, but he still wore it "around". I always shook my head and burped up a little acid whenever I saw it.

And, Matt, next time you plan to go to the RBC Center, you better let me know. I'm only 8 miles from the damn place.

I'm a little confused by this. He should be ashamed for having a custom jersey made up for himself? Did I miss the point???

Dewey2007
11-08-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm a little confused by this. He should be ashamed for having a custom jersey made up for himself? Did I miss the point???

I personally do not wear jerseys to games but I do not see a problem with having a custom jersey made with your last name on it and the number you want if you're a fan of a particular team. Why does it have to be one with an actual players name on it?

This is a much better idea then wearing a generic jersey like the ones that I've seen the Seahawks sell that say "FAN" on the back.

Also, with so much movement in the league these days if you buy a jersey with a players name on the back that player might not be on the team in the next year to two then your stuck having to buy a whole new jersey. I always thought it was weird seeing fans wear jerseys to games of guys who are no longer on the team. HOF players are one thing but I've seen Raiders fans wearing Hostetler and Moss jerseys to games.

eisenreich8
11-08-2010, 06:27 PM
No, I guess you didn't miss the point, but rather I missed the point, as I see no point in posting into what was conceived as a humorous thread and offering an opinion and getting sniped at for it. Why does everything need to be dissected and minutely analyzed?

If I gave you a customized jersey with your name on it and your number of choice (let's say, Fonzarelli, #12), just stop for the briefest second and ask yourself if you would wear this jersey into the stands at a Pats home game. Didn't think so.

It is definitely becoming prudent to keep a low profile on this forum these days. Gingi, why have you forsaken me???

Dewey2007
11-08-2010, 07:28 PM
No, I guess you didn't miss the point, but rather I missed the point, as I see no point in posting into what was conceived as a humorous thread and offering an opinion and getting sniped at for it. Why does everything need to be dissected and minutely analyzed?

If I gave you a customized jersey with your name on it and your number of choice (let's say, Fonzarelli, #12), just stop for the briefest second and ask yourself if you would wear this jersey into the stands at a Pats home game. Didn't think so.

It is definitely becoming prudent to keep a low profile on this forum these days. Gingi, why have you forsaken me???

I guess I missed the point too. Sorry the humor was taken out of the thread for you and I for one wasn't sniping at you. Just offering an opinion too.

Mods please delete my non-humorous post from a thread that had obvious humorous intent.

NEFAN
11-08-2010, 07:40 PM
I guess I missed the point too. Sorry the humor was taken out of the thread for you and I for one wasn't sniping at you. Just offering an opinion too.

Mods please delete my non-humorous post from a thread that had obvious humorous intent.

It wasn't a "snipe" at all. It was an honest attempt to find the humor. I go to many Patriots games in a #1 Jersey with my last name on it. I just didn't see the connection with the #16 jersey. Last guy I remember wearing it was Zolack.

Maybe there is too much sniping going on, it's making people too sensitive.

eisenreich8
11-08-2010, 07:58 PM

Dewey it wasn't directed at you.

eisenreich8
11-08-2010, 08:05 PM
It wasn't a "snipe" at all. It was an honest attempt to find the humor. I go to many Patriots games in a #1 Jersey with my last name on it. I just didn't see the connection with the #16 jersey. Last guy I remember wearing it was Zolack.

Maybe there is too much sniping going on, it's making people too sensitive.

NEFAN, I apologize as I did not mean to disparage anyone else wearing a personalized jersey. My buddy John always lamented what he did (himself) and I went along with it. He had buyer's remorse and felt he needed to wear it to get his money's worth. He caught a lot of grief from the drunks in the stands. I am sure you can relate, especially in the second half, it can get pretty belligerent up there in the nosebleeds.

John Smith was a mighty #1 so I will reminisce and be done with it. I was not trying to be mean-spirited in my original post......and I will now disclose what the name was on my buddy's jersey so you can hopefully share my point's humor:

WINKELMAN

All he would get was a slurred "who the F**K is WINKELMAN?" about 40 times a game. It was funny, sad, and I guess you had to be there.

Now, back to our regular programming...........

gingi79
11-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Gingi, why have you forsaken me???

Never old friend.

See I think this thread brought up a specific issue re: customizing jerseys with ridiculous people. To some, a random fans last name looks goofy. However, Dewey nailed it: People change teams more often than ever before. I personally spent hundreds of dollars on a jersey only to see him traded a month later. It became worthless until 12 years later when he retired and it turned out to be a rare style specifically with the number I had made up. Had he not, it would be worthless to me and I'd have lost hundreds in reselling it. My name doesn;t change, neither does my fandom.

To Eisenreich, spending the $300 to have a person's name on back when they never played is a WTF jersey. Hard to argue since my #3 was that specific instance. Would you not laugh at a Gump #1 Shrimping jersey? Same thing in many people's book.

I realize their is a ton of sniping, disagreements and some pretty rude commentary. Please take this post as my intention to stay away from those types of posts and just try to have a fun thread. Of course seeing an Anthony Young Mets jersey is almost as goofy in my book so what do I know?

Dewey2007
11-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Dewey it wasn't directed at you.

eisenreich8 no problem. I guess I got to stop being so sensitive :)

Like I mentioned in my original post. I had a WTF moment when I first saw the Seahawks #12 (as in twelfth man) "FAN" jerseys. I guess instead of having your own name or the name of a favorite player you could just be one of the herd.

I still have WTF moments when I see Randy Moss jerseys being worn at Raiders games. Here was a guy who quit on the team and people are still wearing his jersey. If you're a true fan just pony up the money and go out and get a new jersey.

I'm still waiting for a player with the last name of St. Germaine to play for the A's, Warriors, or Raiders so I can buy one of their jerseys!!

eisenreich8
11-09-2010, 07:14 AM
eisenreich8 no problem. I guess I got to stop being so sensitive :)

Like I mentioned in my original post. I had a WTF moment when I first saw the Seahawks #12 (as in twelfth man) "FAN" jerseys. I guess instead of having your own name or the name of a favorite player you could just be one of the herd.

I still have WTF moments when I see Randy Moss jerseys being worn at Raiders games. Here was a guy who quit on the team and people are still wearing his jersey. If you're a true fan just pony up the money and go out and get a new jersey.

I'm still waiting for a player with the last name of St. Germaine to play for the A's, Warriors, or Raiders so I can buy one of their jerseys!!

I hear you Dewey, I have the opposite problem....with a last name like Madden, I cannot have a customized jersey made for any team as I would be taken for a 12 year old.

I don't need a jersey to have that happen lol. I parallel what you say about Moss jerseys in Oakland with the proliferation of ManRam jerseys at Fenway. "Quit on the team" chiseled in stone. And it didn't end in Boston, did it? But that's a topic for another day.......

godwulf
11-09-2010, 08:56 AM
When I read "WTF? jersey", the first thing I thought of was "Frankenjersey" - the "jersey" somebody sewed together using the pieces from a whole bunch of "game worn jersey" cards, and then put on eBay, a few years ago. :rolleyes:

I see nothing odd about wearing the jersey of a team's former member, particularly a much-loved one. I see Diamondbacks jerseys all the time with (Matt) Williams, (Luis) Gonzalez, or (Randy) Johnson...but I guess that's more of a Baseball thing.

I haven't seen him in a while, but one guy used to come to every home game vs. the Dodgers wearing a jersey that said: "L.A. Sucks" across the back.

TNTtoys
11-09-2010, 10:29 AM

Hey... You could have had the Mark Dewey jersey a couple of years back!

But then again, it's probably weird to walk around with your first name on your back. I wouldn't exactly want a "NICK" jersey...

TNTtoys
11-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Here are my "WTF" jerseys in no particular order...

1. At a Mets memorabilia party, one guy was wearing a 1986 style Mets jersey with the name "BUCKNER" on the back, and in place of a number, he had a large "E3" I thought this was creative... but I can imagine he wouldn't want to wear this one in Boston.

2. Oddball game used jerseys from my own collection... I have a Lowell Spinners "Star Wars" theme jersey and a Binghamton Mets "Star Trek" theme jersey. Also, a Brooklyn Cyclones tie-dye jersey from the "Furthur" theme night last season. All of them are capable of generating stares (but not the good kind).

3. Those "Frankenjerseys" you see on ebay that I call attention to on the forum every now and then... most notably the Cubs Ron Santo jersey where the 1 on the back is about 3X the thickness of the 0, and the Sammy Sosa Rangers jersey with the Cubs font lettering on the back.

4. Any TATC jersey.

Dewey2007
11-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Hey... You could have had the Mark Dewey jersey a couple of years back!

But then again, it's probably weird to walk around with your first name on your back. I wouldn't exactly want a "NICK" jersey...

Nick, I remember that one! Now that might have been a WTF if I'm wearing around a Mets jersey with my first name on it.

eisenreich8
11-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Here are my "WTF" jerseys in no particular order...

1. At a Mets memorabilia party, one guy was wearing a 1986 style Mets jersey with the name "BUCKNER" on the back, and in place of a number, he had a large "E3" I thought this was creative... but I can imagine he wouldn't want to wear this one in Boston.

2. Oddball game used jerseys from my own collection... I have a Lowell Spinners "Star Wars" theme jersey and a Binghamton Mets "Star Trek" theme jersey. Also, a Brooklyn Cyclones tie-dye jersey from the "Furthur" theme night last season. All of them are capable of generating stares (but not the good kind).

3. Those "Frankenjerseys" you see on ebay that I call attention to on the forum every now and then... most notably the Cubs Ron Santo jersey where the 1 on the back is about 3X the thickness of the 0, and the Sammy Sosa Rangers jersey with the Cubs font lettering on the back.

4. Any TATC jersey.

1.) I just blew ginger ale out my nose.
2.) I have one of these also. Odd indeed.
4.) Agreed!

NEFAN
11-10-2010, 10:17 AM
NEFAN, I apologize as I did not mean to disparage anyone else wearing a personalized jersey. My buddy John always lamented what he did (himself) and I went along with it. He had buyer's remorse and felt he needed to wear it to get his money's worth. He caught a lot of grief from the drunks in the stands. I am sure you can relate, especially in the second half, it can get pretty belligerent up there in the nosebleeds.

John Smith was a mighty #1 so I will reminisce and be done with it. I was not trying to be mean-spirited in my original post......and I will now disclose what the name was on my buddy's jersey so you can hopefully share my point's humor:

WINKELMAN

All he would get was a slurred "who the F**K is WINKELMAN?" about 40 times a game. It was funny, sad, and I guess you had to be there.

Now, back to our regular programming...........

No offense taken, been a little slow since returning from the desert, just thought something was going over my noggin.

It can get nasty in those stands at times. Now they stop selling booze at the end of the half.

eisenreich8
11-10-2010, 10:29 AM
No offense taken, been a little slow since returning from the desert, just thought something was going over my noggin.

It can get nasty in those stands at times. Now they stop selling booze at the end of the half.

Love ya man! Thanks for all you do.