PDA

View Full Version : Looking for your opinion on Game Used Jerseys home away or alternate?

suave1477
08-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Hello Members I am curious of your opinion!!!

I noticed in most cases Home Jerseys have brought in more money then others and I noticed Alternates bring in the least.

Do you prefer a Game Used Home, Away or Alternate Jersey?

Which do you think is more valuable or sought after?

astros*bats
08-07-2006, 11:15 AM
I think that your right that the home jerseys usually bring in more money. Maybe home jerseys are sought after more by collectors and fans, becuase this is the kind of jersey that they see when they go to the ballpark to watch their team. Their team's name in displayed on the jersey rather than the city name.

I would guess that the alternates bring in the least money becuase they are not worn as much as the home or the road jerseys.

My team is the Astros, so the home pinstripe jerseys are really nice. They are not as plain as the road grey jerseys and are great because they can be photomatched by looking at the pinstripes and such. However, there are tons of Astros home pinstriped jerseys in collectors hands.

My favorite Astros jerseys are the alternate red jerseys. They look awesome and look great signed. I guess that they are also a little bit harder to come by, because I really haven't seen that many.

Anyways, theres my thoughts!

indyred
08-07-2006, 11:15 AM
I like the alternate jerseys the best. Although they aren't used as much compared to the regular home and roads and don't show as much wear in most cases. Seems some teams now have so many combinations it's hard to tell what is what. Don't Texas Rangers have about 5 versions going, regular home white, vest home white, regular gray road, vest gray road and alternate blue used both at home and on the road. Indians have similar grouping now.

indyred
08-07-2006, 11:19 AM
I think that your right that the home jerseys usually bring in more money. Maybe home jerseys are sought after more by collectors and fans, becuase this is the kind of jersey that they see when they go to the ballpark to watch their team. Their team's name in displayed on the jersey rather than the city name.

I would guess that the alternates bring in the least money becuase they are not worn as much as the home or the road jerseys.

My team is the Astros, so the home pinstripe jerseys are really nice. They are not as plain as the road grey jerseys and are great because they can be photomatched by looking at the pinstripes and such. However, there are tons of Astros home pinstriped jerseys in collectors hands.

My favorite Astros jerseys are the alternate red jerseys. They look awesome and look great signed. I guess that they are also a little bit harder to come by, because I really haven't seen that many.

Anyways, theres my thoughts!
Wow we posted at the exact same time. Good point on the alternates being more hard to find. I know in hockey most teams have 3 sets of regular home and roads and just 2 of there alternate styles. Not sure about baseball and how many sets they make for each game style. The Astros red alternates are really cool, seems like they are wearing them more than the road grays this year.

suave1477
08-07-2006, 11:22 AM
I agree with you both as funny as it seems, it does seems like the alternates are usually the cooler looking of all the jerseys but like you guys said they get the least wear so they are not sought after as much.

If anyone else has any thoughts on this please join in?

psmachetti
08-07-2006, 11:43 AM
It may be the case w/baseball jerseys but not w/hockey gameworns. Alternates or 3rd jerseys are the most expensive of the 3.
Paul

astros*bats
08-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Wow we posted at the exact same time. The Astros red alternates are really cool, seems like they are wearing them more than the road grays this year.

That's crazy. Posted at like the exact same time! Your right, the Astros are wearing the road alternates more since the All-Star break. I have heard that they are now wearing the red alternate jerseys as their road uniforms instead of the grey uni's. Apparently the red jerseys are made of a different material that is lighter and they aren't so hot to wear.

Jake51
08-07-2006, 12:22 PM
My personal take on home jerseys commanding a higher price is that the general public (not necessarily the local fan) associates the home jersey with a team more frequently then they associate the away jersey because they associate the team with their home city and therefore the home jersey. For example, while not a Raiders fan, when I think of them I think of them in Oakland and in the home black.

I think this impacts the price because if more people associate this style with the team or player then more people look for that type of jersey as a more desirable representation of the team or player. That then drives up the demand for that style (and the price).

As a Broncos guy, I look for both home and away styles because I want a more complete representation of the team.

Just my two cents...probably a load of c**p but there you have it!

Thanks

Tom

bigtime59
08-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Your right, the Astros are wearing the road alternates more since the All-Star break. I have heard that they are now wearing the red alternate jerseys as their road uniforms instead of the grey uni's. Apparently the red jerseys are made of a different material that is lighter and they aren't so hot to wear.

Right facts, wrong sequence. Apparently every team uses a (slightly) different shade of road gray, and it's probably also rather difficult to match up grays in different fabrics (at least for Majestic), so the "cool" jerseys are only being done in the home and alternate colors. The Astros should still have a brick jersey in the regular weight fabric hanging around somewhere, they're just not breaking them out as much right now.

And my personal preference is for the (colored) alternate jerseys. Vests, not as much...

Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com