Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fnazxc0114
    • Aug 2007

Derek Jeter wins a gold glove

It shows how big of a joke this award has become.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington
  • Vintagedeputy
    • Oct 2005

Re: Derek Jeter wins a gold glove

Jeter has perfected that "run right, jump, throw from deep in the hole" thing to its finest. Not only has he reconditioned himself but he is without a doubt, still the top defensive SS in the league. There's some other good players out there, but they'll have to work long and hard to do what he does day in, and day out.

Comment

• lakeerie92
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Fnazxc0114
      It shows how big of a joke this award has become.

I would have to disagree. He only commited 6 errors this year, the lowest amount of errors in a season for him in his career. (Not counting 1995 when he only played 15 games.)
      Russell Wuerffel
      Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
      lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Comment

• ferro39
        • Sep 2008

that's pretty much it

his range is shot, but he fields whatever he gets too cleanly

Comment

• 5kRunner
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by lakeerie92
          I would have to disagree. He only commited 6 errors this year, the lowest amount of errors in a season for him in his career. (Not counting 1995 when he only played 15 games.)
          And his range factor is 3.62 vs 4.36 league average. That means he got to 120 less balls than the average SS did this year. He can't make errors if he doesn't get to the ball.

And for the record, I like Jeter. But he should not have won the Gold Glove. I agree with the OP, its a joke.
          SCOTT
          scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
          sigpic

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
            • Aug 2007

5k runner where did you get those stats from, id be interested in looking them up for both leagues. Jeter is good at getting ground balls hit right to him, but the going to his right and throwing isnt his strong point anymore. Saw him try it in the alcs and he just looked old.
            Baseball do what it do
            -Ron Washington

Comment

• ferro39
              • Sep 2008

a big thing was made about his range either before this past season or last--according to those numbers, he was ranked as one of the worst (if not THE worst) SS's in the majors.

any yanks fan can tell you, his first step or two is insanely slow. but like i said, if he actually gets to a ball, he rarely flubs it. that said, would it be better of he got to more balls, but over- or under-threw the 1B and gave up the extra base? i dont have an answer for that.

in this case, i dont think the numbers tell the whole story. he's not the worst fielding SS in the league, but i also dont think he should have sniffed a GG this season

Comment

• salukidave
                • Jan 2007

In 2010, Alexei Ramirez destroyed Derek Jeter as a defensive shortstop. Ramirez may have made 15 or so more errors, but he made a ton more plays that Jeter can only dream about at this stage of his career. The players got it right when they voted Ramirez as the A.L. all-star shortstop in The Sporting News voting.

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
                  • Aug 2007

yep and elvis andrus was snubbed.
                  Baseball do what it do
                  -Ron Washington

Comment

• mbrieve
                    • Jul 2008

I have to get this out of the way ... Yes, Derek Jeter has just won another Gold Glove.It's his fifth, which means he's now won at least four more Gold Gloves than he's deserved.

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Vintagedeputy
                      Jeter has perfected that "run right, jump, throw from deep in the hole" thing to its finest. Not only has he reconditioned himself but he is without a doubt, still the top defensive SS in the league. There's some other good players out there, but they'll have to work long and hard to do what he does day in, and day out.
                      Really?? Jeter was never the top defensive SS in the league. Even after Vizquel left, there was still better. And today, I'd rather have 45-year old Omar playing behind me than Jeter. Jeter just won a "Steve Garvey" Gold Glove: If it's to him, he's great, but if it involves moving or bending over, well, that's why outfielders back up the play.

Ken
                      earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Comment

• lakeerie92
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by 5kRunner
                        And his range factor is 3.62 vs 4.36 league average. That means he got to 120 less balls than the average SS did this year. He can't make errors if he doesn't get to the ball.

And for the record, I like Jeter. But he should not have won the Gold Glove. I agree with the OP, its a joke.
                        Range Factor isn't a solid statistic to calculate what he does and doesn't get to though. (Putouts+Assists/Games played) It doesn't factor in anything but an average of what most players might be at. It bases it's calculations of chances to field a ball, but doesn't have anything to adjust for if a position player doesn't have as many ball hit in his vicinity in a season.

For example a third baseman with a pitching staff that is all righties might have less hits come to him in a season if the other team is trying to field the most left handed batters they can in their lineup.

I don't care for Derek Jeter one way or another. I think he is overpaid and hate the Yankees, but when it comes down to Gold Gloves, fielding percentage is one of the few statistics you can rely on. Everything else can be argued away.
                        Russell Wuerffel
                        Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
                        lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Comment

• 5kRunner
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Fnazxc0114
                          5k runner where did you get those stats from, id be interested in looking them up for both leagues. Jeter is good at getting ground balls hit right to him, but the going to his right and throwing isnt his strong point anymore. Saw him try it in the alcs and he just looked old.
                          Baseball Reference has them on the player pages under fielding.

Check out the latest Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More of Derek Jeter. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, draft status, bats, throws, school and more on Baseball-reference.com
                          SCOTT

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
                          sigpic

Comment

• 5kRunner
                            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by lakeerie92
                            Range Factor isn't a solid statistic to calculate what he does and doesn't get to though. (Putouts+Assists/Games played) It doesn't factor in anything but an average of what most players might be at. It bases it's calculations of chances to field a ball, but doesn't have anything to adjust for if a position player doesn't have as many ball hit in his vicinity in a season.

For example a third baseman with a pitching staff that is all righties might have less hits come to him in a season if the other team is trying to field the most left handed batters they can in their lineup.

I don't care for Derek Jeter one way or another. I think he is overpaid and hate the Yankees, but when it comes down to Gold Gloves, fielding percentage is one of the few statistics you can rely on. Everything else can be argued away.
                            We are talking about a SS, not a 3b. I wasn't dumb luck Alexei Ramirez got more chances than Jeter.

You can't rely on Fielding % alone. You have to look at it in context with range factor. Like I said before, you can't make an error if you can't get to the ball.
                            SCOTT

sigpic

Comment

• lakeerie92
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by 5kRunner
                              We are talking about a SS, not a 3b. I wasn't dumb luck Alexei Ramirez got more chances than Jeter.

You can't rely on Fielding % alone. You have to look at it in context with range factor. Like I said before, you can't make an error if you can't get to the ball.
                              I agree with you, I was more or less bored and was playing the devil's advocate and seeing if I could poke holes in the Range Factor statistic.

I mostly agree. Popularity and big market teams always play a big factor into the decision making on these awards.
                              Russell Wuerffel
                              lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Comment

Working...