PDA

View Full Version : You Coulda Had It- 2004 Ladainian Tomlinson Throwback Helmet

Eric
08-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Hey folks-

Usually when we do installments of "You Coulda Had It" it's regarding a nice item which went for bargain money. We're going the other way with it this time- nice item, big time price.

Recently on ebay NFL Auctions sold Ladainian Tomlinson's white #21 helmet from the 10/10/04 game versus Jacksonville.

Personal story- I have one from 2003 which is one of my favorite items in my collection. Even though it was used in 1 game, it has good use and my favorite detail about it- the mouthpiece used by LT is tucked into the corner of the facemask.

It's an item which comes from the team, dated to a specific game, which makes it able to be photomatched.

Anyway, back to the present, the 2004 version saw a lot of competition on ebay- finishing with 43 bids. You coulda had the 2004 Ladainian Tomlinson Throwback helmet $6002... Or you could have bought a car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&item=170010762014&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

ghostkid
08-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Keep in mind that, assuming you chose the car instead of the helmet, you have to regularly put a bunch of $20 bills into the gas tank. I guess my point is that the $6002 car would actually run you about $16K within a month or two. :)

Kevin Kasper

indyred
08-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Sweet helmet. Eric did you get a good deal on yours. I'd be happy with average player NFL game used helmet someday. Is there anyone out there with a big selection of NFL game used helmets?

suave1477
08-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Indyred, try ajsportcollectibles.com he has a lot of game used football helmets. I have dealt with him before, he is good to deal with.

RKGIBSON
08-08-2006, 07:35 PM
I was the last guy out bid on this helmet. As a collector I often wonder if people understand the importance of documentation and the value it has. We debate he authenticity of items on this forum daily. The owner of this helmet never has to worry about the authenticity now or 20 years down the road. I have seen numerous LT throwback jerseys and helmets for sale, none with NFL paperwork, and they were all sold through NFL auctions. What does that mean? O yeah, I already have enough cars.

Roger

indyred
08-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Another cool Charger throwback was on ebay, someone got it with bin.......R Caldwell from 2002 season....I think it went for $500....did the Chargers sell off most of these throwback helmets, were they first sold on nfl.com?