PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Newton

GoTigers
11-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Being an Auburn alum I hate seeing these accusations come out. I was just wondering what others thought. Is this a smear campaign? (popular opinion in Alabama) Are the accusations true? Should he win the heisman? Should he be suspended or sat until the situation is resolved?

Jude716511
11-11-2010, 06:11 PM
I am NOT an Auburn fan(Nor NCAA ball) at all. But, I think this whole thing is a smear campaign. It's just funny how they tried to bury this kid last week with allegations, then all of the sudden there's fresh accusations the next day. And all this alleged stuff happened 2 years ago. The whole thing stinks. This kid is an amazing talent, and the timing of these accusations is fishy as well. Let's face it, a lot of colleges(if not all of them) pay players or bribe their families. Even if he is guilty I just think it's selective as to who is exposed. I will think college football is a joke anyways until they develop a fair playoff system.

Dewey2007
11-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Being an Auburn alum I hate seeing these accusations come out. I was just wondering what others thought. Is this a smear campaign? (popular opinion in Alabama) Are the accusations true? Should he win the heisman? Should he be suspended or sat until the situation is resolved?

I think there is some truth to the accusations although maybe not as bad as they have been made out to be. Whether it's a smear campaign or not I can't say but I hope it doesn't ruin his chance to win the award. Obviously he is innocent until proven guilty but with the Reggie Bush situation and the recent allegations of the NFL agent who claimed to have given money to college players over the years this type of thing is going to be more commonplace in regards to the Heisman Trophy. Heisman candidates and their backgrounds are going to be heavily scrutinized.

legaleagle92481
11-12-2010, 12:01 AM
many major college athletes have taken money and other perks. players train for many hours a week and risk injury every saturday. their stock also rises and falls very fast. five star recruits end up not making the nfl every year. plus many of these guys are from poor backgrounds. the colleges are also making a literal fortune off of them. to expect them to play for free is an arcane idea. i have no doubt the charges are true but if you went through every program and investigated every player more players would be suspended than would be playing.

Jude716511
11-12-2010, 12:08 AM
many major college athletes have taken money and other perks. players train for many hours a week and risk injury every saturday. their stock also rises and falls very fast. five star recruits end up not making the nfl every year. plus many of these guys are from poor backgrounds. the colleges are also making a literal fortune off of them. to expect them to play for free is an arcane idea. i have no doubt the charges are true but if you went through every program and investigated every player more players would be suspended than would be playing.

AMEN ! I totally agree with you ! Very well put !

slambam
11-13-2010, 08:05 PM

And... what's your point? Does that mean that is alright? Athletes get a college education for free, which the vast majority of athletes use to be successful for the rest of their lives (what percentage of college athletes make their living in the pros?). Those that are good enough to go to the pros are given the opportunity by the schools to showcase themselves on national TV weekly. College athletes being paid to play is ridiculous. I could see a small monthly stipend, but the money mentioned with Newton is just crazy. Sure the schools make money off it, but it goes to the school, it's not like the school President is taking it home (like owners in sports), and the STUDENT ATHLETE gets plenty of benefit from it also. Sure I think pay for play happens, but would it leave more players suspended than playing? No way. If it was allowed, it would completely ruin college athletics. Personally, if I'm a college athlete I'd rather have a college education than a mediocre (yes mediocre. Outside of boosters, most college athletic programs aren't exactly swimming in money, not to mention if you have to pay every athlete) salary for the 4 years I'm in college - what is going to last me longer?

I just don't understand why you seem to think that 5 star athletes who turn out to be busts before they get paid is such a tragic story? If you're successful at one level, does that mean you're going to be successful at the next level?

legaleagle92481
11-14-2010, 10:40 PM
And... what's your point? Does that mean that is alright? Athletes get a college education for free, which the vast majority of athletes use to be successful for the rest of their lives (what percentage of college athletes make their living in the pros?). Those that are good enough to go to the pros are given the opportunity by the schools to showcase themselves on national TV weekly. College athletes being paid to play is ridiculous. I could see a small monthly stipend, but the money mentioned with Newton is just crazy. Sure the schools make money off it, but it goes to the school, it's not like the school President is taking it home (like owners in sports), and the STUDENT ATHLETE gets plenty of benefit from it also. Sure I think pay for play happens, but would it leave more players suspended than playing? No way. If it was allowed, it would completely ruin college athletics. Personally, if I'm a college athlete I'd rather have a college education than a mediocre (yes mediocre. Outside of boosters, most college athletic programs aren't exactly swimming in money, not to mention if you have to pay every athlete) salary for the 4 years I'm in college - what is going to last me longer?

I just don't understand why you seem to think that 5 star athletes who turn out to be busts before they get paid is such a tragic story? If you're successful at one level, does that mean you're going to be successful at the next level?

Schools use athletes you can't deny it. What kind of education do they really get? Most Division one football players do the absolute bare minimum while they are there and take BS majors. Many never even graduate. They devote the majority of their week to football especially during the season. They travel around the country for games. How much time do you think the average athlete spends studying? Plus they get banged up and their injuries in some cases are a burden for the rest of their lives. Schools along with boosters and other third parties pay and give benefits to top athletes to secure them for schools it is a fact and it is very widespread the extent of which will never be reported publicly and there is absolutely no way to stop it so I think people can stick their head in the sand and make arguments like you make and deny reality or they can face reality and accept it and put rules in place to legalize it, regulate it and take it out of the alley so to speak.

legaleagle92481
11-15-2010, 09:37 AM

And as an FYI some of the money does go to school presidents. School presidents are very generously compensated 30 in the US earn over a million a year and many others make at least $800,000.

legaleagle92481
12-03-2010, 10:01 AM
If I were Reggie Bush and USC I would be seriously pissed right now, what a double standard. The sole reason behind this is to 1.) Not devalue the SEC championship game and 2.) Prevent the National Title game from being Oregon and TCU, which if TCU won alot of BCS non-playoff folks would look very stupid.

GoTigers
12-03-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm hearing this a lot. The USC and Cam case are not comparable. There was proof (reciepts, money trail, etc) of Bush being payed to play. There is no proof money exchanging hands in Cams case. Also, The school that Bush played for is the one that paid him. In Cams case the money discussions were with MS State, not Auburn. I don't think Auburn should be penalized for a discussion Cam's dad had with another school

trsent
12-03-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm hearing this a lot. The USC and Cam case are not comparable. There was proof (reciepts, money trail, etc) of Bush being payed to play. There is no proof money exchanging hands in Cams case. Also, The school that Bush played for is the one that paid him. In Cams case the money discussions were with MS State, not Auburn. I don't think Auburn should be penalized for a discussion Cam's dad had with another school

Cam should be punished for his father's actions. End of story. Compare it to the USC situation correctly all day long. Kids who enrolled at USC are being punished by Reggie Bush's actions and Reggie didn't play for the team they are on.

The two situations remind me of a boxer named Mike Tyson who went to jail and a wealthy kid named William Kennedy Smith who walked free, both for very similar crimes. I have no problem comparing Cam Newton free pass by the NCAA over his father's actions and Reggie Bush's actions that buried the USC program.

Auburn shouldn't be punished, but Cam Newton shouldn't be playing since his father has been proven guilty.

slambam
12-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Cam should be punished for his father's actions. End of story. Compare it to the USC situation correctly all day long. Kids who enrolled at USC are being punished by Reggie Bush's actions and Reggie didn't play for the team they are on.

The two situations remind me of a boxer named Mike Tyson who went to jail and a wealthy kid named William Kennedy Smith who walked free, both for very similar crimes. I have no problem comparing Cam Newton free pass by the NCAA over his father's actions and Reggie Bush's actions that buried the USC program.

Auburn shouldn't be punished, but Cam Newton shouldn't be playing since his father has been proven guilty.

I couldn't agree more, except I think Auburn should be punished. Cam is with the team now, so they should suffer with him there. I'm definitely not a USC fan at all, but I hate how they get punished for the Reggie Bush and OJ Mayo stuff long after those two (and the coaches at the time) are gone. To me, that's just not right. If there is EVER a time to penalize the school, it's when the player is still there. The NCAA is just taking the easy way out. And if you're going to tell me that Cam Newton didn't know, I'll tell you I'm Abe Lincoln. There is a 0% chance that he didn't know his dad was shopping him around. As for the lack of proof, there's is definitely a way they could find it. If they can go back 4-5 years or whatever it was and find evidence against Bush, there is no doubt they'd be able to go back a year and get evidence against Cam.

lakeerie92
12-03-2010, 05:34 PM

There is a big difference between receiving extra benefits and not receiving them and just asking. I live in Auburn and I am surprised as anyone that he didn't get punished, but to compare it to Reggie Bush is wrong because no money has changed hands according to the NCAA in the Newton case and it did in the Bush case. Plus with the USC case it wasn't a single incident, it was multiple including multiple players such as O.J. Mayo. Comparing those cases is comparing apples to oranges.