PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Laughlin World Series Cards

shoremen44
11-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Guys... need a bit of help here...

I have been pulling out items to put in my newly finished office and I pulled out a box of cards that I had gotten in a trade years ago...

I did a little research and found out that these are a set of 1967 Laughlin World Series cards... apparently only 250 sets were printed in 1967

I have 7 sheets of 9 cards for a total of 63...

I have looked online and on ebay to see how much these are worth, but I see individual cards for very little and some for alot... I also found one complete sheet for like $230, but no complete sets like mine

I was going to frame them and hang them in my office, but if they are worth something I would rather sell them and buy GU stuff

any Card guys out there help me on value or desirability???

or should I just frame them and put them on the wall?

sox83cubs84
11-12-2010, 02:44 PM
There were three sets of Laughlin World Series cards over a 4-5 year span, but these are easily the scarcest and most valuable of the three. In 1968 or '69 (I forget which), the exact same art and design was issued in color, and, the next year, a color set of different cartoons with a MLB batter logo incorporated into the year ID. The two color sets I recall buying Fleer wax packs of (5c each) over the counter. Another odd remembrance (probably due to contractural rerstrictions): retired players in the write-ups were mentioned by name, but active players were described, not named, i.e., Bill Mazeroski's name was't mentioned, but he was described as "the Pirates' 2nd baseman).

Dave Miedema

shoremen44
11-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Dave,
thanks for the info... any idea what these things are worth?

sox83cubs84
11-12-2010, 09:49 PM
I wish I could, but I'm too out of touch with the card market these days to make even a wild guess.

Dave Miedema

mdube16
11-12-2010, 10:31 PM
go over the the PSA board.....those folks are to cards what this forum is to GU. They will know. There are a bunch of guys who are experts on that particular set.

xpress34
11-13-2010, 01:58 AM
Bert -

I have a Beckett On-Line account and you can find pretty much any card on there, but when I put in Laughlin, it only shows the 1968 WS Set and then the various sets they did in the 70's- Great Feats, Errors, etc.

That said, the 1968 WS Set has a SET value of $300.00 so your 67 Set (if it was individual cards) would be comparable... I would think being on complete UNCUT sheets that your set might be worth somewhere in the $500 - $750 range.

I definitely think it would be worth framing them.

All the best -

Smitty

shoremen44
11-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Guys... Thanks for the help...

I think they will end up framed in the office

shoremen44
11-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Guys... just though I would share some info I receiced from a guy who knows quite a bit about these cards...

Bert,
I will happily share what I know about your set. The 1967 World Series set was the first card issue created by Bob Laughlin, and was issued throughout the year in 1967 in 7 series of 9 cards each, plus a single 1967 card at the end. I have seen the number of sets issues from this first printing at 250 or 300 - based on what I have seen that seems about right. He also did a second priniting of sets in 1974 that I woudl estimate at about 1000. These can be distinguished based on the presence of Bob's address at the bottom - the 1974 printing did not have the address. I would guess that he kept about 50 sets as full sheets of 9, like you have them. I have seen individual sheets before, but yours is the first full set of sheets I have seen - very nice! With only 250-300 sets printed, and I would say a good percentage of those have probably met their demise in one way or another in the past 43 years, so the population is pretty low.