PDA

View Full Version : Rare team logos on game jerseys

kingjammy24
08-07-2006, 04:10 PM
i came across this 90's nolan ryan goodman jersey. what struck me was that it had a style of rangers logo i've never seen before on any rangers goodman, rawlings, or russell jersey from that era. i'm aware that there've been instances where different manufacturers would have subtle differences in the same team logo, but this is a rangers logo i've never seen before on another goodman. here is the logo (top one), below it, for comparison, are goodman, rangers, 90s era nolan ryan jerseys, my questions follow the image.
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/3818/rangersxz3.jpg
the logo on top is noticeably thicker everywhere with the differences being most pronounced in the "R", "a", and "e".
my questions:
1) has anyone ever seen this rangers logo?
2) has anyone ever seen standard team logos on jerseys that looked like
complete aberrations/anomalies?
i'm used to seeing "odd" logos on salesman's samples because such jerseys are often prototypical designs. to see a rare logo on a game jersey is odd. anyone else ever see any strange logos on game jerseys?

rudy.

worldchamps
08-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Rudy
Looking at the other jerseys you posted, all of the the g in Rangers hits the jerseys at different spots, or the buttons are in different areas.....did you notice this too?
Bill

bigtime59
08-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Also look at the transition from the "a" to the "n". See how much lower it goes on the top jersey?

kingjammy24
08-07-2006, 06:23 PM
bill: yes i noticed that. 3 of the jerseys have the "g" hitting a button, the other 3 do not. the images are from 1989-1992. i don't think it's much an issue. i've seen it on other jerseys from other teams from other time periods. i'm unsure what causes it. here's an interesting pic; 2 in-action photos taken in 1992. same team - toronto, same manufacturer - wilson, same year - 1992. notice the buttons:
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/5421/buttonsri7.jpg
funny huh. they may have different placements but the logos are identical.

mark: good eye. it does indeed dip. it's not the same logo at all.

in 1988, rawlings used a "blue jays" font/logo on their bp jerseys that was noticeably different than the "blue jays" font/logo on their 1988 home jerseys. in that case however, all 1988 rawlings bp jerseys bore the same blue jays logo, so it wasn't really an aberration. in this case, i've never seen this rangers logo on any other goodman jersey. for that matter, i've never seen it on any rangers jersey from any manufacturer from any year.

very curious to know if anyone ever seen this rangers logo or if anyone ever seen a logo on a game jersey that didn't match up?

rudy.

PK
08-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Very interesting, maybe Barry or someone from Meigray can help out a little.

For what it is worth, The top picture and the bottom middle one with the autograph look very similar. The are taken at different angles, but the font and script look the same and the buttons seem to be in the same spot and the letters seem to hit the buttons and other places on the jersey at the same spot