PDA

View Full Version : Steiner Sports Game Worn/Issued Holograms

ereyes
11-16-2010, 02:05 PM
In an effort to deter fraud, I’ve taken a few steps that will strengthen our game-worn and game-issued jersey authentication. This Augmented Authentication Program will be rolled out gradually, and some features of the program will be kept confidential to the public. From day one, authenticity has been of paramount importance to our brand, and we take fraud very seriously as it is severely detrimental to our customers. My goal is to give collectors complete peace of mind when purchasing our game jerseys, even when obtained from a 3rd party.

One major improvement is that we are now more specifically cataloging our game-worn and game-issued jerseys according to our hologram numbers. Our records now contain more detail than ever before. Now when a customer calls and asks us about a specific hologram number, we’ll be able to provide confirmation on whether or not the jersey in question is authentic. Please ask for me when calling. Since I’ve just started this process, many jerseys already sold this year will not be cataloged. Anything that’s in our inventory now and moving forward will be cataloged.

At this time we do not have a publicly accessible electronic database of all our hologram numbers, but it’s something that we’re looking to add in the future.

If you have any questions please email me at ereyes@steinersports.com.

ChrisCavalier
11-17-2010, 04:44 PM
In an effort to deter fraud, I’ve taken a few steps that will strengthen our game-worn and game-issued jersey authentication. This Augmented Authentication Program will be rolled out gradually, and some features of the program will be kept confidential to the public. From day one, authenticity has been of paramount importance to our brand, and we take fraud very seriously as it is severely detrimental to our customers. My goal is to give collectors complete peace of mind when purchasing our game jerseys, even when obtained from a 3rd party.

One major improvement is that we are now more specifically cataloging our game-worn and game-issued jerseys according to our hologram numbers. Our records now contain more detail than ever before. Now when a customer calls and asks us about a specific hologram number, we’ll be able to provide confirmation on whether or not the jersey in question is authentic. Please ask for me when calling. Since I’ve just started this process, many jerseys already sold this year will not be cataloged. Anything that’s in our inventory now and moving forward will be cataloged.

At this time we do not have a publicly accessible electronic database of all our hologram numbers, but it’s something that we’re looking to add in the future.

If you have any questions please email me at ereyes@steinersports.com.
I think this is great news and will be a really good thing for the hobby. It's great to see Steiner taking steps to make their authentication program as solid as possible.

Thanks Efrain for the update and your efforts to in this area.

-Chris

mbenga28
12-20-2010, 03:06 PM
I was looking at Steiner's site and noticed a number of 2010 Yankees jerseys recently listed. the jerseys have MLB authenticated holograms describing the jerseys as "team issued" while Steiner lists them as "game issued" and some of them look to have use with the faded year taggings.

as we discussed before here that "team issued" in MLB Authenticated database could in fact be game used, why does Steiner list these are "game issued" as if they were not used when some taggings are clearly faded and the jocktag pucker from washings?

some of the jerseys have fresh crisp flag tags, but since the MLB hologram says "team issued" can't someone just take one of the unused jerseys, wash it up a little and then re-sell it as "team issued but game used"?

Vintagedeputy
12-20-2010, 04:18 PM
I'll just be happy when all of the Steiner hologram numbers are in their system.

coxfan
12-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Mr. Reyes, I appreciate the fact that you monitor and participate in this forum, and your courtesy in replying to individual questions. I do have a suggestion for anyone involved in advertising game-used items: If the advertising photo is not of the actual item, there should be a disclaimer saying it's not the actual item.

I don't know Steiner's current policy on this, but some team websites will use the same photo for several different g-u balls. ( As evidenced by identical scuff marks, etc.) Sometimes there's a disclaimer saying it's not the actual ball, but sometimes not. I assume that's the case for other g-u items too, and that can lead to misunderstandings by potential buyers, particularly us collectors who are attentive to detail.

Just a thought.

ereyes
12-21-2010, 10:23 AM
great point coxfan, moving forward my web department has been instructed to add a disclaimer stating that the items shown are for illustration purposes only and item received might differ from items shown.

Thanks

ereyes
12-21-2010, 11:40 AM
mbenga,

We've gone down that road before and received the reverse reaction. We don't place used or worn on any letter unless MLB states the same. I have lots of items that show use and want to sell them as such but with MLB stating that its Team Issued it really tough.