PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football Jersey Nameplates

rnfisher
11-19-2010, 10:10 AM
I wanted to see if someone could shed some light on the NCAA's policy that nameplates be removed from jerseys before they are sold.

My understanding is that currently nameplates have to be removed from all jerseys - with the possible exception of Bowl Jerseys, which the players are allowed to keep.

I am considering a purchase of some jerseys from the 1980's that have the nameplates attached. I am wondering if the nameplates would have had to have been re-applied, or if the NCAA did not have the same rules regarding nameplates back then.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

gaytorhater703
11-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I think they can be sold after the player leaves the school with the name plates on....each school probably has different policies about maybe just removing them all nomatter what.

buckeyegamers
11-19-2010, 02:31 PM
I believe that after a player has exhausted their eligability the school can then sell the jersey with the nameplate still intact.

rnfisher
11-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Any idea when the rule went into effect? Has this always been the case?

Specifically, I am curious as to whether or not the rule was in place in the 1980's.

mlupo
11-21-2010, 04:20 AM
I have an Eastern Michigan football jersey from the 1996-99 range, with nameplate still on. I know they started taking the nameplates off sometime around 2000-2003. I got mine signed years later by they player, he confirmed that it was real and it was not the one given to him to keep. So I am guessing you should be good with 80's jerseys