PDA

View Full Version : Criminal charges filed in Favre memorabilia investigation

Eric
08-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Criminal charges filed in Favre memorabilia investigation

August 8, 2006 - The state attorney general's office Tuesday filed criminal charges against three people accused of dealing in fake Brett Favre memorabilia.
Charged are the owners of an Ashwaubenon sports memorabilia shop, All Sports Marketing, and the owner of an Ashwaubenon printing company, Green Bay Blue.
The criminal complaint says Paul Vidani of De Pere manufactured photographs at Green Bay Blue. And, that Michael and Cindy Van Lanen sold merchandise with bogus Brett Favre autographs at All Sports Marketing.

The 12-count complaint includes charges of theft by fraud, trafficking in counterfeit mark and obstruction, among others.

Department of Justice agents raided All Sports Marketing last January after getting complaints from Favre and Dave Thomason, who manages Favre's autographed memorabilia sales. Thomason alleged that Van Lanens shop was selling items with forged autographs.

The Van Lanens' memorabilia store has been closed for months.

Eric
08-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Two merchants charged with selling fraudulent Favre memorabilia
Associated Press
GREEN BAY, Wis. - Two men carried out a scheme to sell sports memorabilia supposedly signed by Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre but the signatures were fabricated reproductions, according to court documents filed Tuesday.

Michael "Whitey" Van Lanen, 49, of Green Bay, and Paul J. Vidani III, 59, of De Pere, were accused of selling more than $10,000 worth of bogus Favre memorabilia since at least December 2004, Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager said in announcing criminal charges.

Van Lanen owns All Sports Marketing in Green Bay, and Vidani manufactured the bogus goods at his printing business, Green Bay Blue in Green Bay, according to a criminal complaint filed in Brown County Circuit Court.

"It is illegal to sell fraudulent memorabilia in Wisconsin, and it certainly goes against the grain of this state to attempt to defraud Packer fans who buy such mementos in good faith," Lautenschlager said. "Through this case, we aim to seek justice for Brett Favre fans who may have been unwittingly defrauded at this particular store."

Van Lanen and Vidani were charged with theft by fraud, identity theft and trafficking in counterfeit trademarks - felonies punishable by up to 22 years in prison, Lautenschlager said.

Van Lanen's wife, Cynthia, 50, was charged with providing false information to investigators, the attorney general said.

The complaint accuses the men of using Favre's signature without his authorization on large framed prints sold by All Sports Marketing and selling them to dozens of victims.

According to the complaint, Vindani's business made numerous prints containing a copy of Favre's autograph for Van Lanen. The prints were affixed with a Favre hologram and often accompanied by a certificate of authenticity or a photo showing Favre purportedly signing the print in a ruse to make them appear authentic, the complaint said.

One such print - Night to Remember - commemorated Favre's game against the Oakland Raiders on Monday Night Football the day after his father died, the complaint said.

Favre told investigators that he did not authorize the defendants to reproduce his signature and sell it to customers as authentic, the complaint said.

Favre has registered his name, likeness and signature as trademarks under Wisconsin law.

Vidani's attorney, Shane Brabazon, said his client would vigorously fight the charges. "He is adamant that he is innocent."

Vidani, a businessman in town for 30 years and die-hard Packers fan, believed Van Lanen had the needed approvals for selling reproductions, the attorney said. "Clearly, the evidence shows my client had no part in any attempt to deceive purchasers or customers."

Van Lanen's attorney, Steve Glynn, did not immediately return a telephone message Tuesday left at his Milwaukee office.

No other Favre merchandise or memorabilia, including signed footballs, jerseys and helmets, were part of the investigation that included a raid on All Sports Marketing in January, Lautenschlager said.

The Packers issued a statement Tuesday saying the team was aware of the charges, but neither the team nor Favre would comment further until the judicial process ends.

ON THE NET

Wisconsin Department of Justice: http://www.doj.state.wi.us

Eric
08-08-2006, 10:21 PM
ATTORNEY GENERAL PEG LAUTENSCHLAGER FILES CRIMINAL CHARGES AGAINST PEDDLERS OF ALLEGEDLY FRAUDULENT BRETT FAVRE MEMORABILIA
Charges Announced At News Conference in Brown County

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
August 8, 2006
GREEN BAY – Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager announced at a news conference today at the Brown County Courthouse the Wisconsin Department of Justice (DOJ) has filed felony charges against two Green Bay merchants who allegedly defrauded dozens of people by manufacturing and selling framed prints purportedly signed by Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre -- but which the state asserts were fabricated reproductions passed off as genuine.

Charged in the criminal complaint filed in Brown County Circuit Court were Michael D. “Whitey” Van Lanen, 49, of Green Bay, who allegedly sold the prints from his sports merchandise shop a few hundred yards from Lambeau Field, and Paul J. (“P.J.”) Vidani, III, 59, of De Pere, who allegedly manufactured the prints at his nearby printing business, Green Bay Blue, located at 2240 Holmgren Way in Green Bay. Also charged was Van Lanens’ wife, Cynthia A. Van Lanen, 50, of Green Bay, who allegedly provided false information to investigators.

“It is illegal to sell fraudulent memorabilia in Wisconsin, and it certainly goes against the grain of this state to attempt to defraud Packer fans who buy such mementos in good faith,” Lautenschlager said. “Through this case, we aim to seek justice for Brett Favre fans who may have been unwittingly defrauded at this particular store.”

Wisconsin Department of Justice - Division of Criminal Investigation agents investigated the case.

Neither the Green Bay Packers organization nor Brett Favre was involved with this alleged wrongdoing in any way. The Department of Justice respectfully requests that calls or inquiries NOT be made to the Packers with regard to this matter.

The criminal complaint charges Michael Van Lanen and Paul Vidani with selling more than $10,000 worth of fraudulent Favre memorabilia to unsuspecting customers beginning at least as early as December 2004. The scheme was stopped on January 20, 2006, when the Department of Justice executed a search warrant at All Sports Marketing, the merchandise shop owned by the Van Lanens at 2039 Holmgren Way in Green Bay.

The complaint also alleges that each of the fraudulent sales during this period amounted to identity theft, in that the defendants allegedly used the unique signature of Brett Favre without his authorization and for their own benefit. Favre confirmed with investigators that he did not authorize the defendants to reproduce his signature and sell it to customers as authentic.

The complaint further alleges that certain purchases made by undercover agents during the investigation amounted to criminal violations of Wisconsin trademark law. Favre has registered his name, likeness and signature as trademarks under Wisconsin law.

According to the complaint, Vidani’s business manufactured numerous prints for Michael Van Lanen containing a copy of Favre’s autograph, which in turn were affixed with a “Brett Favre” hologram and sold by Van Lanen as authentic, often times accompanied by a certificate of authenticity, or a photograph of Favre purportedly signing the print. One such print was entitled “Night to Remember,” and commemorated Favre’s memorable game against the Oakland Raiders on Monday Night Football the day after his father died.

Department of Justice officials emphasized that this criminal case focuses on larger framed prints sold by All Sports Marketing that purport to contain an authentic Brett Favre signature. No other Favre merchandise or memorabilia is a part of the investigation. For example, smaller prints, such as 8 ½ by 11 inch prints, or any print sold without a frame, are not a part of the case.

Likewise, any signed items that are not prints – such as signed footballs, jerseys, and helmets – are also beyond the scope of the criminal complaint. Anyone who purchased larger framed prints containing a Favre signature from All Sports Marketing, however, may be a victim of the alleged fraud. Lautenschlager encouraged such individuals to contact the toll-free Department of Justice Consumer Protection helpline at (800) 998-0700.

If convicted, defendants Michael Van Lanen and Paul Vidani face a maximum penalty of ten years in prison and a $25,000 fine with regard to the theft by fraud charges, a maximum penalty of six years in prison and a $10,000 fine if convicted of the identify theft charges, and a maximum penalty of six years in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted of trafficking in counterfeit trademarks. Defendant Cynthia Van Lanen faces a maximum penalty of nine months in prison and a $10,000 fine if convicted of lying to investigators.

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant Attorneys General Eric J. Wilson and Erik M. Kinnunen, as Special Prosecutors for Brown County by agreement with the Brown County District Attorney. Defendants are presumed innocent until or unless found guilty in a court of law.

sportscentury
08-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Eric,

Thanks for posting these. I wonder if Rick Radtke had anything to do with getting this investigation going ... I think he has the exclusive autograph deal with Favre. I know how hard it can be to get an exclusive deal with a top name player, so I have to think that it is infuriating when you see others selling items (real or fake) related to your player-client.

Very interesting stuff. You have to feel bad for all of the collectors who were allegedly duped.

Reid

Eric
08-09-2006, 08:38 AM
If Radtke were involved, perhaps he might go after whomever was selling the Falcons Vick jersey in Historic Auctions which was dated 1/1/06 when he had the same one from Vick in his possession

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=3292&highlight=radke

Eric

trsent
08-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Eric,

Thanks for posting these. I wonder if Rick Radtke had anything to do with getting this investigation going ... I think he has the exclusive autograph deal with Favre. I know how hard it can be to get an exclusive deal with a top name player, so I have to think that it is infuriating when you see others selling items (real or fake) related to your player-client.

Very interesting stuff. You have to feel bad for all of the collectors who were allegedly duped.

Reid

Reid, Rick Radke does not have an exclusive with Brett Favre. Favre does his signings through his private pilot. Anyone who contacts the pilot can work a deal. Dave Thomason is the pilot and he is mentioned in the article.

suave1477
08-09-2006, 10:22 AM
What I find interesting about it is even though it is cpletely wrong what they did. At the same time its not like they were making millions off the public selling forgeries. As these 2 gentleman need to held accountable for what they did. I don't really see it being super newsworthy.

I mean seriously do the math - these guys made $10,000 over 2 years, between 2 guys thats $2,500 over a year span. Not exacly a ton of money to go out and put a down payment on a new ferrari.

My point is it makes you wonder if they were really trying to rip people off when they werent really seeing that great of a return. I wonder if these guys are actually guilty of fraud or were they just possibly selling something possibly advertised without knowing it was misleading????

I mean if you really wanted to rip people off for forgeries you can always do Mickey Mantle, Pujols, or ARod which will always commands premium sale prices???? and bring in a whole lot more than $2,500 a year

JUST A THOUGHT???? Playing devils advocate

sportscentury
08-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Joel,

Thanks. Didn't Rick once have the exclusive? I thought brettfavreautographs.com (http://www.brettfavreautographs.com/) was his. Did I imagine this?

Thanks for the info.

Reid

allstarsplus
08-09-2006, 10:52 AM
If Radtke were involved, perhaps he might go after whomever was selling the Falcons Vick jersey in Historic Auctions which was dated 1/1/06 when he had the same one from Vick in his possession
Eric

I have no personal knowledge of Vick's jersey habits, but there are players that change jerseys at Halftime. Could it be possible that he wore more than 1 jersey per game.

We all remember when Palmeiro did this with his jerseys.

Eric
08-09-2006, 11:01 AM
radtke

Re: Historic Auctions Update
To Whitney and all Collectors interested in the Michael Vick Game Used items in Historic Auctions:

The Michael Vick Helmet and Jersey in the Historic Auctions is a fake. We are not angry at Michael because we have photo matched the jersey to Getty Images view image #'s 56509744 and 56509725. We posted the jersey on Ebay for you to view item #8832340689. We have nothing to hide. Who do you trust Michael Vick or a "rock solid source"? Mike personally gave the jersey and the helmet to us, signed and dated both with a photo of him holding them up, and signed a letter stating their HIS items. I think I would trust Michael and Getty before purchasing from someone who uses an "impeccable source" as an authenticator. I feel sorry for the people who are going to get ripped off by these fakes.

Eric
08-09-2006, 11:34 AM
What I find interesting about it is even though it is cpletely wrong what they did. At the same time its not like they were making millions off the public selling forgeries. As these 2 gentleman need to held accountable for what they did. I don't really see it being super newsworthy.

I mean seriously do the math - these guys made $10,000 over 2 years, between 2 guys thats $2,500 over a year span. Not exacly a ton of money to go out and put a down payment on a new ferrari.

My point is it makes you wonder if they were really trying to rip people off when they werent really seeing that great of a return. I wonder if these guys are actually guilty of fraud or were they just possibly selling something possibly advertised without knowing it was misleading????

I mean if you really wanted to rip people off for forgeries you can always do Mickey Mantle, Pujols, or ARod which will always commands premium sale prices???? and bring in a whole lot more than $2,500 a year

JUST A THOUGHT???? Playing devils advocate

Jason-

I know you're playing devil's advocate here, but I completely disagree here.

Here comes the rant. Note- this is my opinion solely...

If these small time rip-off artists can get busted, then the folks who are stitching fake team repairs and selling doctored items and 5 of the same superstar jerseys from the same year, or bats that have been taken down to the ballfield should be quaking in their boots. To you folks- you might be laughing to the bank, but people are noticing what you're doing.

These folks are greedy enough that they won't stop, and they will be taken down. You sell things under your name, your false names, you enlist your friends to sell or consign them under their names AND help bid up the price and I will come back to bite you.

I hope the dominoes keep on falling. I am tired of the same people selling bad items on ebay and in auction houses, which don't match the game photos. They ignore emails, offer vague responses of team sources which don't exist to add provenance to their never used, wrong size, cut and labelled jerseys until they find someone who doesn't know better to buy the items.

These people buy non star items on ebay basically for the parts- a label that can be sewn on a star game cut jersey to make it a game used jersey, a pair of pants which can can be made into a superstar's piece with one swipe of a sharpie.

In time, their greed will do them all in, but what worries me is- in the meantime they are ruining the industry.

It has gotten to the point where specifically in modern football jerseys- I will no longer buy anything that doesn't have direct provenance- a player or team signed letter. There are a few big names responsible for flooding the hobby with crap and stealing collectors' money, and these sellers should be nervous. There are many conversations about all of you behind the scenes- and you will be stopped.

Go ahead and laugh about how this forum is a bunch of gripers, but I can tell you that the Favre autograph bust had something to do with, along with the help of others, the communication to authorities from a member of this forum.

Congratulations to that person for doing a good thing and to whoever the next person is to take down another crook.

This is our hobby, and the collectors are a lot smarter than you think we are...

There's my rant. I'll cool down now
Eric

trsent
08-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Reid, from what my sources tell me Rick never had an exclusive. He has a great working relationship with Dave Thomason. He was never an exclusive distributor. If anyone would claim to have an exclusive it would be Dave Thomason, as you have to go through him to get Brett's autograph. Anyone can register a domain name. If you are interested in setting up a private signing session, I can put you in contact with Dave Thomason.

Jason, not that it matters because an alleged crime is a crime, but a friend of mine from Green Bay, WI told me he went into these guys retail outlet and all the autographs looked like an auto-pen. He said they had more than just Favre there. The report may show $10,000 in profits, but who really knows what the end bottom line was.

Eric
08-09-2006, 05:46 PM
To clarify
Files were charged against these people, they were not found guilty.
Eric

trsent
08-09-2006, 05:49 PM
To clarify
Files were charged against these people, they were not found guilty.
Eric

Notice, I did use the word "alleged"?

sportscentury
08-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Notice, I did use the word "alleged"?

Joel,

You also wrote:

Jason, not that it matters because an alleged crime is a crime, but a friend of mine from Green Bay, WI told me he went into these guys retail outlet and all the autographs looked like an auto-pen.

I think Eric is just asking folks to be socially responsible. Rest assured, your posts are far from the most socially irresponsible (or insane) post in this thread.

Reid

trsent
08-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Oops, yes, my quote should have said "A crime is a crime, this alleged crime may have made the accused more money than reported."

Besides, $10,000 in four years may not be much, but the principle is don't mess with Brett. His people like to do their homework!

Eric
08-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Plea deals expected in Favre autograph fraud cases
Two of three people charged scheduled to reach agreements

By Andy Nelesen
anelesen@greenbaypressgazette.com

Two of the three defendants in the Brett Favre autograph scandal are scheduled to fast track their cases to a resolution later this month.

Charges were filed Tuesday in Brown County court alleging the sale of bogus Favre-autographed prints at an Ashwaubenon sports memorabilia shop. Prosecutors from the state Department of Justice allege that Michael Van Lanen sold the high-quality framed pieces at his shop, All Sports Marketing, and passed them off as bearing authentic Brett Favre signatures.

Prosecutors allege that the prints were, in fact, duplicates of prints bearing the Green Bay Packers quarterback's autograph and were produced by Paul "P.J." Vidani III at his printing business, Green Bay Blue.

Both businesses are on Holmgren Way in Ashwaubenon.

Van Lanen, 49, and Vidani, 59, face felony charges of theft by fraud, identity theft and multiple counts of trafficking in counterfeit marks. The pair also are charged with multiple misdemeanor counts of unauthorized use of a trademark. Each faces up to 36 years behind bars if convicted on all counts.

Van Lanen's wife, Cynthia, 50, faces a count of misdemeanor obstruction of justice for allegedly lying to investigators during the nine-month probe. She faces up to nine months in jail.

Staff for Brown County Circuit Court Judge William Atkinson confirmed that the Van Lanens' cases are scheduled to be resolved at a plea and sentencing hearing set for Aug. 28.

Green Bay attorney Brian Maloney said his client, Cynthia Van Lanen, is expecting to end the case at the Aug. 28 hearing. He declined to speak for Michael Van Lanen, who is represented by Milwaukee-based attorney Stephen Glynn.

Efforts to reach Glynn on Tuesday and Wednesday were unsuccessful.

But the Wisconsin Circuit Court Access Web site shows a plea/sentencing hearing set for Aug. 28 for Michael Van Lanen.

Vidani's case is expected to follow a more traditional track. Attorney Shane Brabazon said he plans to schedule an initial appearance for his client soon.

"We are upset they decided to file charges," Brabazon said. "We thought that based on the information that's out there, that there's no way they ever would have thought my client was trying to deceive or defraud anybody.

"My client's just basically a printer and unfortunately Mr. Van Lanen took it upon himself, because these prints were of such high quality, to sell them as originals."

Brabazon said that Vidani was prepared to be challenged on civil copyright issues, but didn't believe he was doing anything criminal.

"Mr. Vidani thought all these items that he printed — the ones that had autographs — were being sold as copies," Brabazon said. "Anything that suggests deception, we will vigorously defend."

In the criminal complaint filed Tuesday, investigators allege that on the day state Justice agents raided Van Lanen's business, Vidani called an employee and instructed her to delete all files relating to All Sports Marketing from the Green Bay Blue computers.

In an interview with investigators, Vidani allegedly said, "I'm involved. I know what (Van Lanen) has done." Investigators also quoted Vidani as saying "I made a stupid mistake," "I'm not innocent either" and "I wanna come clean," the complaint said.

Assistant Attorney General Eric Wilson refused to discuss any of the pending cases when reached by phone Wednesday.