PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan memorabilia

jordanhigh69
11-23-2010, 03:37 AM
Hi all,
Just want to get some opinions on here. How much, potentially, would MJ's personal workout equipment that he had in his house basement and used all during his 6 titles be worth at auction.......If he signed some pieces too???? It's the exact equipment he is working out on that is in the book "Rare Air".

Steve

jordanhigh69
11-24-2010, 03:53 AM
Nobody out there has any opinions on my post? It's funny......I received an IM from a member on here, offering to sell me an MJ jersey. When I cordially replied that I get all my items in my collection directly from MJ and Mrs. Jordan, I get the feeling from his subsequent reply that he just doesn't believe me. :rolleyes:

Dach0sen0ne
11-24-2010, 11:49 AM
I'd think the market for that type of stuff would be very small if it existed at all. That's my personal opinion, but I'm sure some will disagree.

otismalibu
11-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Hey Steve,

I'm sure someone would be interested, but I think many collectors (including myself) are only interested in game related items.

I'm always looking for Dr. J. game shoes, but would have zero interest in Julius Erving's golf shoes, dress shoes, workout shoes, etc.

mdube16
11-24-2010, 03:00 PM
My guess would be (and it is just a guess) is that it would hold little to no premium over what any workout equiptment in the same condition would be worth. A small bump if its autographed I suppose, but its value really is in its use going forward.

jordanhigh69
11-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Hi all,
Thank you to the people who offered opinions on here. It is his entire home gym(not his workout shoes, gloves, etc) that the Bulls bought for him to use at his house. Thanks for the input.

Steve

AutographAddiction
12-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Shoot me an email please??

Thanks.

CollectGU
12-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Hi all,
Thank you to the people who offered opinions on here. It is his entire home gym(not his workout shoes, gloves, etc) that the Bulls bought for him to use at his house. Thanks for the input.

Steve

I also believe that it has practically no value over the value of the equipment. It is not an item that Jordan collector's would really care about....I'm not even sure the major auction houses would take it to auction

Dave

dplettn
01-19-2011, 04:16 PM
As somebody who would love to someday own something to memorialize the excitement that MJ brought to the world in the 80s and 90s, I tend to agree that his workout equipment isn't really that interesting.

It's what he did on the court to make a team and a sport great. I was able to acquire a ticket from the 1982 Final Four Championship Game a number of years ago but for me anyway, what I really want is something he wore on the NBA court.

Its what he did on the NBA court (not in the gym) that redefined the league, and which I don't think anyone else has or will come even close to duplicating.

AutographAddiction
01-20-2011, 12:34 AM
As somebody who would love to someday own something to memorialize the excitement that MJ brought to the world in the 80s and 90s, I tend to agree that his workout equipment isn't really that interesting.

It's what he did on the court to make a team and a sport great. I was able to acquire a ticket from the 1982 Final Four Championship Game a number of years ago but for me anyway, what I really want is something he wore on the NBA court.

Its what he did on the NBA court (not in the gym) that redefined the league, and which I don't think anyone else has or will come even close to duplicating.

dplettn, still have that ticket?

Email me, please.

3arod13
01-20-2011, 06:08 AM

Although a long time, diehard Laker fan, I understand your excitement about what Jordan did as a player, and what he brought to the NBA.

Although anything game used would be empty out my bank account, I've been in search of that really nice rookie signature of Jordan. I was lucky enough to recently pick this one up, which was signed around the first half of the season in 1984.

I'll always be a Laker fan. But it was exciting to wach Jordan play.

dplettn
01-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Although a long time, diehard Laker fan, I understand your excitement about what Jordan did as a player, and what he brought to the NBA.

Although anything game used would be empty out my bank account, I've been in search of that really nice rookie signature of Jordan. I was lucky enough to recently pick this one up, which was signed around the first half of the season in 1984.

I'll always be a Laker fan. But it was exciting to wach Jordan play.

You mean I’m not the only one who’s financial means are a constraint? (Kidding)

Seriously, these forums can be financially intimidating but it is so neat to just look at the stuff. There are really some neat people on here too. I’m sure there are several of us who only are able to get the items we want to the extent we are lucky enough to come into them under reasonable circumstances. And, we can all choose to love everything about what we do have while we continue to dream of the items we covet.

For Tony, perhaps the dream item coveted is something that memorializes a Jordan encounter with the Lakers.

Regarding the MJ equipment, there probably is somebody who covets it. Maybe it’s a person who worked out with Michael at some point in their lives, or somebody with a special appreciation for the training regimen of the NBA athlete… for each of us, what we specifically covet may depend on how we relate to an athlete or a specific item’s history.

jordanhigh69
01-22-2011, 04:17 AM

Just curious........How do you know this was signed in early 1984? It looks to me to be a later sig of his, due to the incomplete letters of the sig, especially his last name. JMHO Nice rook pic of Air MJ, though!

Steve

3arod13
01-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Just curious........How do you know this was signed in early 1984? It looks to me to be a later sig of his, due to the incomplete letters of the sig, especially his last name. JMHO Nice rook pic of Air MJ, though!

Steve

http://www.rareair23.com/jordanchronology.html

Scroll down and you'll find this item on this site. Also, the 1986 Michael Jordan Signed Rookie underneath it was mine.

dplettn
01-22-2011, 01:53 PM
http://www.rareair23.com/jordanchronology.html

Scroll down and you'll find this item on this site. Also, the 1986 Michael Jordan Signed Rookie underneath it was mine.

Wow, some really neat stuff to look at there. Thanks for sharing. Personally, I've had a hard time ever having faith in autographs unless I obtain them myself or from a dealer who had a confirmed signing on a particular date. Its neat that for a guy like Jordan there is such a detail oriented history, but having it so easy for anybody with internet access to view would seem to only make fraud a greater risk.

jordanhigh69
01-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Hi all,
Tony, thanks for the reply and you have some nice stuff. I was just asking if this was signed for you or in front of you back in that time period? If not, where did you acquire it and the rookie card? I am personal friends with Michael and his Mother and have some things in my collection that I acquired directly from them, so I know where mine originated from and the time period they were signed. I have also had MJ personally sign about 12 things for me, while I stood in front of him, as he talked smack to me about ball, so those things are rock solid and treasured in my mind as well. I don't really care at all about COA's and such(I don't trust ANY COA's at all, as they can all be forged), as the most important thing for me is seeing him sign things for me.....But that's just me. The sig on the rookie card looks great, the one on the other card looks, IMO, to be later than early 1984. Who knows, though, as anything is possible with people and their sigs, depending on how much time they have to sign, mood at signing, etc. Thanks for sharing and talking about your stuff. I'm a huge collector and fan of MJ for about 28-29 years as well and love to talk MJ.

Steve

mbenga28
01-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi Steve,

Just curious has MJ ever showed you what's in his collection from his playing days?

3arod13
01-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Hi all,
Tony, thanks for the reply and you have some nice stuff. I was just asking if this was signed for you or in front of you back in that time period? If not, where did you acquire it and the rookie card? I am personal friends with Michael and his Mother and have some things in my collection that I acquired directly from them, so I know where mine originated from and the time period they were signed. I have also had MJ personally sign about 12 things for me, while I stood in front of him, as he talked smack to me about ball, so those things are rock solid and treasured in my mind as well. I don't really care at all about COA's and such(I don't trust ANY COA's at all, as they can all be forged), as the most important thing for me is seeing him sign things for me.....But that's just me. The sig on the rookie card looks great, the one on the other card looks, IMO, to be later than early 1984. Who knows, though, as anything is possible with people and their sigs, depending on how much time they have to sign, mood at signing, etc. Thanks for sharing and talking about your stuff. I'm a huge collector and fan of MJ for about 28-29 years as well and love to talk MJ.

Steve

Hey Steve. No, neither were signed in front of me. But I know MJ's signature pretty well. The 1986 Rookie Card I bought on ebay for $600 (ungraded). I knew it was good. I sent it to PSA for grading. Then sold it to a forum member for $4,000. Yes, that's right, $4,000.

The Rookie photo I just purchased on ebay for $875 (a steal). I love the rookie pic of MJ, and the beautiful full signature.

I like your passion for collecting and MJ. It's what keeps me going at 51. I love that great find, then looking at it over and over.

Once you get the bug, you're hooked.

My #1 player is Alex Rodriguez. I hope one day to meet him and get a picture with him.

jordanhigh69
01-26-2011, 03:12 AM
Hi all,
mbenga, I have not been to MJ's trophy room at his house.......yet! :p
I have spoken with him and his asst, George, about some things and I CAN absolutely say that, from what I've been told, I can't wait to go see the incredible things he still has!!!!!! I know of a few nice, one-of-a-kind things that other peeps close to him have of his, which I would love to, and hopefully will, some day add to my museum collection.

Tony, sweet dealio on the rook card flip ;) I'm not into cards really at all, although I do have some older MJ cards from his early days I've saved from my youth. I also love to hunt down things to add to my collection and love to make those "finds" that pump the adrenaline! I was a Laker fan back in my youth, having grown up in the L.A area. I have some vintage Magic auto's from when I saw him at a park in L.A and my Step-Mom got an auto'd pic through Jim Hill(CBS sportscaster). I met Kobe at Michael's camp here in Vegas and he was cool, but I just am not down for the Lake Show as I was in the Showtime days! You should see if ARod has a fantasy camp or somethin' and go to it to meet him and get to know him a bit! Nice chatting with ya.

Steve