Fnazxc0114
11-23-2010, 02:02 PM
no surprises here

Fnazxc0114
11-23-2010, 02:03 PM
and not even close.

cjclong
11-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I was pulling for Hamilton and hoped to see him win. I was surprised that Cano did not get a single first place vote. I would have placed him ahead of Cabera.

sox83cubs84
11-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Glad to see it.:D

Dave Miedema

cliffjmp33
11-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Can't argue Hamilton deserved it more than anyone in the AL. Glad he won and he continues to be a great story for years to come.

yankees506
11-23-2010, 05:56 PM
not going to say cano should have won but not even one first place vote? wow you either love em or HATE em. :confused:

Vintagedeputy
11-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Boy, the Yankee hating voters were in full force this year.

Manram
11-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Hamilton totally deserved it. Glad to see him win it

kellsox
11-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Boy, the Yankee hating voters were in full force this year.

??? How do you figure? The closest Yankee (cano) did not receive 1 first place vote- does that mean all voters were yankee haters???? Less than half of the voters gave him a second place vote. He finished where he deserved- "yankee haters" had nothing to do with it. Sounds like a bitter yankee fan to me.

lakeerie92
11-23-2010, 08:08 PM
??? How do you figure? The closest Yankee (cano) did not receive 1 first place vote- does that mean all voters were yankee haters???? Less than half of the voters gave him a second place vote. He finished where he deserved- "yankee haters" had nothing to do with it. Sounds like a bitter yankee fan to me.

Agreed.

sox83cubs84
11-23-2010, 09:36 PM

It just means no one from ESPN was authorized to vote.;)

Dave Miedema

Vintagedeputy
11-23-2010, 11:22 PM
??? How do you figure? The closest Yankee (cano) did not receive 1 first place vote

Exactly my point. One could argue that Cano and Hamilton had equal value to their respective teams (playing devil's advocate). Each led certain categories (although I think Cano's value to the Yankees was a bit higher). For Cano to have less value than Cabrera is even more ridiculous.
Gordon Edes cover the Red Sox for the Boston Globe and he once said "It's not the best player, it is the most valuable player". Hamilton played in 133 games, Cano 160. Cano, in my opinion was easily the most valuable player to his team.

Its no different than some scrub .500 pitcher winning the Cy over CC Sabathia. Absolutely ridiculous.

lakeerie92
11-24-2010, 12:02 AM
Cano should have finished fourth behind Bautista.

CC lost to the guy with the best stats outside of W-L. If Felix was on the Yankees and CC was on the Mariners and they had the same stats Yankees fans would be making the Felix argument for everybody that he was better.

Fnazxc0114
11-24-2010, 12:13 AM
vintage do you put much stock in the war statistic? I know you dont know this since the rangers dont get national coverage, but ian kinsler missed about 80 games, nelson cruz went on the dl 4 times, and vladdy did jack the second half of the season. You couple that with the fact that the rangers had 0 production from both the catchers and first base position how can you say cano was more valuable to his team? I can honostly think of about 206 million reason why cano was not the best player in baseball. Heck cano is neither the best player on his team nor is he a leader. Head to Head in the alcs they both had comparables stats. The only one that sticks out was the fact hamilton was intentionally walked 7 times in a 5 game series. Cano has never put that kind of fear in any team he played.

Vintagedeputy
11-24-2010, 01:16 AM
vintage do you put much stock in the war statistic? I know you dont know this since the rangers dont get national coverage, but ian kinsler missed about 80 games, nelson cruz went on the dl 4 times, and vladdy did jack the second half of the season. You couple that with the fact that the rangers had 0 production from both the catchers and first base position how can you say cano was more valuable to his team? I can honostly think of about 206 million reason why cano was not the best player in baseball. Heck cano is neither the best player on his team nor is he a leader. Head to Head in the alcs they both had comparables stats. The only one that sticks out was the fact hamilton was intentionally walked 7 times in a 5 game series. Cano has never put that kind of fear in any team he played.

I stand by my earlier statement. Cano was more valuable to the Yankees, and thusly is more derserving of the award. Hamilton is an excellent player, but this vote was a "feel good" vote, and not about value.

Fnazxc0114
11-24-2010, 01:34 AM
Seriously a feel good vote? You couldnt tell by watching the alcs which player put the most fear into the other team. From June 1st on hamilton batted 401. He also batted over 400 against righties. Hamilton was obviously the best player in the American League this year. When you take into account Hr's BA, and RBI's the last player to put up numbers comparable to the ones Hamilton put up last season was Lou Gehrig. Yep definately a feel good vote. That doesnt even take into account the other offensive categories.

Manram
11-24-2010, 02:17 AM
Look at hamilton's stats compared to cano's. Hamilton did better in fewer games. Also like others said his teammates were hurt a lot and he carried them. Cano isn't the best on the yanks(Teixeira, A Rod)

Vintagedeputy
11-24-2010, 07:00 AM
Look at hamilton's stats compared to cano's. Hamilton did better in fewer games. Also like others said his teammates were hurt a lot and he carried them. Cano isn't the best on the yanks(Teixeira, A Rod)

Hamilton had very impressive offensive stats....as did Cano.

Cano however led the league in putouts and assists at his position, while winning a Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, and being an All Star. He did this all while only missing 2 of his team's regular seasons games. Hamilton missed 29 games. That's over 100 AB's that Hamilton didn't help his team.

When you combine offensive numbers and defense, Cano is clearly more valuable to the Yanks than Hamilton was to the Rangers.

legaleagle92481
11-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Hamilton had very impressive offensive stats....as did Cano.

Cano however led the league in putouts and assists at his position, while winning a Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, and being an All Star. He did this all while only missing 2 of his team's regular seasons games. Hamilton missed 29 games. That's over 100 AB's that Hamilton didn't help his team.

When you combine offensive numbers and defense, Cano is clearly more valuable to the Yanks than Hamilton was to the Rangers.

What you are missing is that the Rangers had locked up the division when Hamilton got hurt. There was no AL west pennant race in September if he had played he would have been playing meaningless games except from a seeding perspective and as this year showed most teams could careless about seeding. Hamilton was the driving force behind his team being in such a lofty position. He won a gold glove and silver slugger and was an all star as well and it is hard to penalize a guy for getting hurt while playing defense. As far as putouts and assists that is based on chances which is beyond a player's control he cannot hit the ball to himself so I don't see that being relevant to an MVP. Cano had a great year don't get me wrong he was by far the best second baseman in baseball. However, Hamilton had a better one he outhit Cano by 40 points, had more homers, a higher ops, obp and slugging % and despite having played in 27 less games was close to him in all of the other counting stats. Plus Hamilton was on a first place team while Cano was on a Wild Card team so he rightfully won the award.

yankees506
11-24-2010, 02:25 PM
take cano off the yanks, who carries them? Arod? off-year like the past 2, Tex? off-year batting, Jeter? worst year probably ever. cano is one of the best players in the game on a team with an all-star at every position except left. Again Hamiltion crushed it this year and deserved just as much as cano but third? smh

Fnazxc0114
11-24-2010, 03:11 PM
yankeesi was surprised to see cano get third too. I was realy surprised that he didnt get more first place votes. Honostly im realy biased towards hamilton but am also surprised the vote wasnt closer than it was.

kellsox
11-24-2010, 03:55 PM
take cano off the yanks, who carries them? Arod? off-year like the past 2, Tex? off-year batting, Jeter? worst year probably ever. cano is one of the best players in the game on a team with an all-star at every position except left. Again Hamiltion crushed it this year and deserved just as much as cano but third? smh

Arod had 30 hr and 125 rbi
Swisher had 29 hr
tex had 30+ hr and 100 + rbi

The yankees had plenty of big hitters in their lineup and would have been ok without cano.

Texas doesnt make the playoffs without hamilton

cigarman44
11-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Exactly my point. One could argue that Cano and Hamilton had equal value to their respective teams (playing devil's advocate). Each led certain categories (although I think Cano's value to the Yankees was a bit higher). For Cano to have less value than Cabrera is even more ridiculous.
Gordon Edes cover the Red Sox for the Boston Globe and he once said "It's not the best player, it is the most valuable player". Hamilton played in 133 games, Cano 160. Cano, in my opinion was easily the most valuable player to his team.

Its no different than some scrub .500 pitcher winning the Cy over CC Sabathia. Absolutely ridiculous.

ERA Sabathia 7th Felix 1st
WHIP Sabathia 10th Felix 2nd
K's Sabathia 6th Felix 2nd

Pretty good scub. About 4 guys should have won it before CC.

cigarman44
11-24-2010, 04:08 PM

What? Jeter? But he won a GG and is worth more than 15 mil a year. Just ask him! :D

yankees506
11-24-2010, 05:48 PM
What? Jeter? But he won a GG and is worth more than 15 mil a year. Just ask him! :D

lol, nobody on the yanks got more clutch hits as cano, when guys where slumping he was the bat in the line-up, the vote should have been closer and ill admit Hamilton should have still won but not by this landslide, all second half it was Hamilton and Cano, where the heck was cabrera in the discussion?

sportscrazy13
11-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Hard to argue Hamilton winning MVP... he was a great player on a playoff team

I will say if Detroit had made the playoffs, Miggy wins MVP easily.
He was 1st or 2nd in BA, OPS, SLG, OBP, RBIs, Runs, TBs, and XBHs which is just about every major offensive category besides HRs in which he was 3rd. I can't recall someone having this type of year and not winning MVP. It may of happened to Pujols a few times.