Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soxfan
    • Jan 2010

Market for GU NHL Gear?

Is there any type of market or secondary market for NHL game used gear?

It seems that there is such a massive difference in say the MLB gu market compared to the NHL market.

There are 1000's (literally) more gu items from MLB than NHL, and still there seems to be no market at all.

Is it something that is truly in existance for a TRUE hockey fan?

Is it buy an item based only on the admiration for that player/team with no thought of ever being able to move it later on, if needs be, in the secondary market?

Jeremy
    macleodjeremy@hotmail.com
  • Dewey2007
    • Dec 2007

Re: Market for GU NHL Gear?

Originally posted by soxfan

It seems that there is such a massive difference in say the MLB gu market compared to the NHL market.

There are 1000's (literally) more gu items from MLB than NHL, and still there seems to be no market at all.

Is it buy an item based only on the admiration for that player/team with no thought of ever being able to move it later on, if needs be, in the secondary market?

Jeremy
    If you go to Classic Auctions you will see hockey jerseys being sold for top dollar. Meigray also sells a large number of GU hockey items. There is a market for it although it will never reach the popularity among the masses of MLB or the NFL. I will say this though there are lots of passionate game used NHL collectors out there. Check out this site: http://gameworn.net/
    sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• jobathenut
      • Nov 2008

I dont know if i completly understand your question.But Milt from "byronshockeyland" is a great company that deals in game used hockey items.And for him there is a markey for it.And he goes to expos around the country that deal in hockey items mainly.I guess its all about where you look.I mean on here you find hardly any game used hockey but if you go on game worn.net thats all they are dealing with.

Comment

• xpress34
        • Sep 2008

There is a HUGE market for GU Hockey (NHL primarily) but NHL GU jersey command way more $$$ than MLB, NFL of NBA due to how few jerseys each player uses in a season.

Common player jerseys can easily command hundreds... in fact I own ONE GU NHL jersey - DJ Smith from the Avalanche.

When they 1st had it in their Team Store it was $600.00!!! Then he left the team and it dropped to $450.00...

About 6 months later it was still there for $300... finally in the middle of the strike season, it was the ONLY Avalanche piece in the store at Pepsi Center and they had dropped the price to $125. I bought it. Cheaper than a freakin' replica!!!

- Smitty

Comment

• soxfan
          • Jan 2010

Thanks all!!

There just seems to be virtually no chatter or Classifieds on this forum for NHL GU gear...guess I need to stretch my wings!

jeremy

Comment

• dirtyla2000
            • Apr 2008

[quote=soxfan;227575]Is there any type of market or secondary market for NHL game used gear?

WOW ! You must know nothing about hockey! Before you make a blanket statement,do your research! The no. 1 most expensive jersey of all time is not a Ruth or Gehrig but a Paul Henderson 71 summit seies jersey! You must be looking at Historic Auctions too much!

Comment

• jobathenut
              • Nov 2008

Yeah this forum is not the place for hockey.I go to game worn.net as it's a great forum.But it's a pain to be a member as you have to call them to be varified as a member and it takes awhile to get a hold of them sometimes.But if you want to know about game used hockey its the place to go.Because for what this place is to baseball,that place is to hockey.Actually more so,as its only hockey on there.And check out milts web site if you are looking to buy as he is a great guy.
              Thanks all!!

There just seems to be virtually no chatter or Classifieds on this forum for NHL GU gear...guess I need to stretch my wings!

jeremy

Comment

• jobathenut
                • Nov 2008

You can make your point without being insulting.[quote=dirtyla2000;227588]

WOW ! You must know nothing about hockey! Before you make a blanket statement,do your research! The no. 1 most expensive jersey of all time is not a Ruth or Gehrig but a Paul Henderson 71 summit seies jersey! You must be looking at Historic Auctions too much!

Comment

• soxfan
                  • Jan 2010

Hey Dirtyla2000,

Relax.....I am born and raised up north so I KNOW hockey!

Just wanted to find out more info on where there could be a better market for GU NHL gear.

I KNOW Paul, as he is a Family friend on my wife's side, so don't assume what you know nothing about.

I realize there is a market for the gear, but I am seeking out more info on where there are more collectors to get in touch with.

Jeremy

Comment

• soxfan
                    • Jan 2010

Whats the point of insulting people when they ask a question?

Isnt that what this forum is for?

Sorry if I "insulted" the almighty authority down there...my apologies "Oh Great One!"

Jeremy

Comment

• dirtyla2000
                      • Apr 2008

Whats the point of insulting people when they ask a question?

Isnt that what this forum is for?

Sorry if I "insulted" the almighty authority down there...my apologies "Oh Great One!"

Jeremy
                      APOLOGY ACCEPTED !

Comment

• BarryMeisel
                        • Jan 1970

Jeremy,

There is a healthy and vibrant hockey market. And I will take the liberty to say it is the most responsible market in terms of game-used and game-worn items of the four major sports ... in terms of authentication and selling only 100% authentic game-worn items.

Gameworn.net is the most active of several Forums for hockey.
                        Gamewornjerseys.com is another.

If you're looking to sell a game-used hockey item, give me a call toll-free at 888-463-44472 or e-mail sales@meigray.com

Barry

Comment

• gingi79
                          • Aug 2007

Jeremy,

Don't listen to that Meisel guy, dude knows nothing about GW hockey shirts

Seeing as that comment was dripping with sarcasm, I'll pay him back buy referring you to his website www.meigray.com which is having a lovely Holiday sale right now.

I'll echo gameworn.net as the place to look for g/u hockey as a secondary market. Just be careful, as with any site there are some suspect folks. I recommend looking up anyone in their feedback forum. It shows good deals and can add some piece of mind before sending someone money. Ditto searching for screen names before buying as feedback is readily left.

I proudly belong to gamewornjerseys.com but it's not as active as it once was. Another option as most collectors belong to one or the other so it increases your "pool" of available items.

Milt at Byron's Hockeyland is one of the old school dealers. He's always open to talking to new collectors and preaches to do your homework before buying anything

Of course Barry Meisel, who posted before me, runs the company that literally dwarfs all other g/w companies and renovated the hobby. Steiner's issues with no database for hologram numbers? Not an issue at MeiGray. You can literally find any number on their site to verify authenticity. They also have several systems in place to provide 100% authenticity, not all of which are public knowledge to assure the fakers cannot replicate a gamer. Also, how often can you discuss gamers, the program and the hobby with a Brandon Steiner? Barry is a phone call or email away and he posts on all of the forums I mentioned. Accountability and integrity all the way.

A side note on auctions. The Buyers Premium (aka lets steal more money from you in a Ponzi scheme) is simply the most shady nonsense in this hobby. Make sure you keep it in mind as that 20% really affects prices (and ask about shipping costs, those are usually a scam as well $40 for a jersey? Better be coming overnight from Japan otherwise someone is ripping you off)

Anyway, hope these help Jeremy. Good luck with your collection.
                          Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Comment

• BarryMeisel
                            • Jan 1970

Thanks for the kind words, Matt.

But that does not mean I'm selling you my Vancouver Bure Finals gamer!!! Still part of my NY Rangers collection.

Seriously, Happy Thanksgiving to you, and everyone.

Barry

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2009

Imo the original poster was correct in a way. Hockey in the United States is probably the fifth or sixth most popular sport. (NFL, MLB, NBA, Nascar and maybe golf all likely rank ahead of it) Therefore the market is not as large as say the football market where there are more jerseys but also much, much more demand for them and people willing to pay higher prices. The Henderson example is skewed because it was an extreme, unique case as it was a 1 of 1 histrocially important item. The average star NHL jersey sells for much less than the average star football jersey.

Comment

Working...