PDA

View Full Version : Beware Of Movie Props / Wardrobe

sammy
08-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Beware of movie props and wardrobe that allegedly come from the Ellis Prop auction and the Costume Collection auction.

According to a recent auction description a "Star" used prop gun comes with a COA from "xxx" and a photo match. The photo match is ridiculous and that is all I will say on that.

The original Ellis auction, from which this gun "allegedly" came from, issued original hand signed letters with their props sold at their auction.

"Star" used guns were issued an individual letter specifically stating the movie/show that it was used for, the actor who used it, and the serial number of the gun if it was a real gun.

The original Ellis letter will also have the date, two preprinted signatures of the Chief Executive Officer and Curator, and original hand signed signatures from the Archivist and Armorer. I'll keep the hand signed names to myself.

A "Star" gun will also have a prop tag attached to the trigger guard stating what scene it was used for, the movie, the character, the actor, the year of the movie, and a description of the gun.

I have seen a lot of guns and/or props surfacing in various auctions that allegedly came from the Ellis prop auction. These have mainly been in the zzz auctions, but now these are showing up in the yyy auctions.

None of these have the original Ellis letter mentioned in the auction, just a generic letter from a company called "xxx".

If you have bought a gun that allegedly came from the Ellis prop auction, but did not receive the original Ellis letter, post the serial number and movie information and I'll see if it is listed in the Ellis auction catalog.

Another problematic issue I have seen a lot of lately are auctions for the wardrobe that "allegedly" came from "The Costume Collection" auction.

Again, any of the "Star" wardrobe came with an individual, hand signed letter from The Costume Collection (CC).

This original letter will state what the item is, what show it was used for, the actor who worn the wardrobe, and a hand signed and dated signature from the CC agent/representative. Again, I will keep that name to myself.

Both the Ellis and CC letters have a distinctive color/type of paper used.

If there isn't a original CC letter with the item, but it is stamped "Costume Collection" and the seller is stating it came from that auction, I would be very wary about purchasing the item. It is not hard to get a CC stamp made.

These items should have original, hand signed letters from the Ellis Props, or The Costume Collection.

I have original letters from both auctions, as well as the auction information and/or catalogs if you have any questions.

As we have all seen numerous times, just because an item is sold in a national auction, that alone does not mean the item is what it is purported to be.

both-teams-played-hard
08-09-2006, 01:15 PM
This is a subject that I have avoided because I thought it was "off topic" for this forum. There is so much questionable "movie used" memorabilia on the market. So many items that "can't be proven as bogus". Studio wardrobe tags that are written "too neatly"....they all look totally "unfunctional" for use by a costumer. Many appear contrived. If you see a wardrobe tag written like a hand-written term paper (every letter readable-ALL CAPS) stay away! There were Kelly Leak and Tatum O'Neal Bad News Bears Jerseys that sold a few months ago, that were complete, utter Bull$h1t! This post, of course, is my opinion.
Think about it folks...Al Pacino's uzi from "Scarface"? John Wayne's six shooter? You deserve to get ripped off.

Consignors are used as scape-goats.
Authenticators are used as scape-goats.

both-teams-played-hard
08-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Also, I have worked in the business and lived in Hollywood for the past 10 years and have never heard of the "Costume Collection". However, I have seen their LOA on tons of movie and TV stuff at recent auctions.

sammy
08-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi BTPH,

"The Costume Collection" (CC) was also known as Hollywood Clothing and Costume Rental Company. This was a legitimate wardrobe company located in North Hollywood. Their liquidation auction was held in 2001. I have the original advertisement for this auction.

As I previously stated, all the "Star" wardrobe came with an individual CC letter that was hand signed by their representative stating what the item was, who used it, and what show.

As for the Bad News Bears items you mentioned, as well as the guns, and all the other crap being sold mainly by two auction companies, if you will notice, none of these items have the original Ellis or Costume Collection letter.

All of these items, that both auction companies are currently dumping on the public, come with a letter from the same individual, who just states these items came from the CC or Ellis. If that were true, then put the original letter with the item.

Personally when you see the same gun, badge, wardrobe, etc. from the same movie being sold over and over, it certainly makes one wonder how many guns did Clint or John actually use in that scene or movie.

If anyone is interested in these items, just check some of the current auctions.

Total Bulls***

suave1477
08-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Personally when you see the same gun, badge, wardrobe, etc. from the same movie being sold over and over, it certainly makes one wonder how many guns did Clint or John actually use in that scene or movie.

I am a bit familiar with Movie props but not an expert and as far as regarding this particular commetn I wanted to chime in and let you know. That for one particular gun, clothing, or whatever it is that the actor may use for a scene they do have plenty of copies of that same item some of the items are screen used or screen tested, or even just screen issued and there maybe a few for each category.

So using you scenario of Clint Eastwood when we see the movie of him using 1 gun there actually maybe 10 others that were also used.

I hope this might clear some things up!!!

sammy
08-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Hi Suave,

I am aware that there is more then one identical prop used for a scene.

But there is generally only two or three at the most for the "Star" to use.

Extras and minor cast members share the wardrobe and props.

trsent
08-09-2006, 03:49 PM
I'd venture to guess that in the old days they would re-use props for more than one movie. When they filmed many older movies they had no idea what would become a legendary movie and no one was hording props like they may do these days.

otismalibu
08-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Just a matter of time until the vintage Adult Movie Props show up on eBay.

Can you help me photo match this 80s Ginger Lynn...

hbsseller
06-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Sammy, I appreciate your post. Was thinking about buying a supposed handgun from The Godfather, part one. Can you tell me is there is anything in the catalog for a Smith & Wesson Model 10 with serial number 60558??? I am revising an old post and hope you see this. Thanks.

sammy
06-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi,

The guns were sold on day 5 of the auction. This would be Monday, June 12.

Did not see the gun you inquired about listed. Checked all the serial numbers shown and there are none close to yours.

Also, there are no guns whatsoever listed with any linkage shown to any of the "Godfather" movies.

hbsseller
06-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks. That kinda answers my question. it was supposedly the gun Michael used with the tape on it in the restaurant scene to kill the two people at the table. Smith & Wesson Model 10. It comes with letters from Ellis and Universal, but unless I can somehow match the serial number I just would not feel comfortable. Thanks again.

sammy
06-21-2009, 08:06 PM
A star gun such as that would be specially listed and should have all the info on the Lot tag. If you can get the "Lot Number", I'll tell you what was sold in that lot.

As I stated, a "Hero" piece such as that would have been a major item at the auction, with a write up.

If you can post the paperwork, I'll check that out too.

David
06-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Some of the big Hollywood movie studios auction for charity items from recent movies. The auctions are often on eBay, and the pieces come with LOAs from the studios.

both-teams-played-hard
06-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Some of the big Hollywood movie studios auction for charity items from recent movies. The auctions are often on eBay, and the pieces come with LOAs from the studios.
Would someone revisit the dude who bought bogus Star Trek stuff with studio LOA? There is a link on this forum.
Studio LOAs are just as credible as Sports LOAs.

mbenga28
06-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Has anyone purchased from PropStore of London? They're known to have a rock solid reputation but wanted to hear some personal testimonials. Thanks.

David
06-22-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm no movie prop expert, but some of the big studios sell props from the latest movies for charity, and the items come with LOAs from the studio. On a lark I bought a necklace advertised as worn by Cate Blachett in The Aviator-- I bought it as a to be worn present for a friend. It came with a LOA from the studio hand signed by the studio's president. Whether or not it was actually worn, it was a necklace from the studio-- and the proceeds went to charity.

David
06-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Again I'm not a prop expert, but Premier Props on eBay sells props from current movies for the studios. A lot of times the studios are selling the items through Premier Props for charity. The items will come a letter clearly documenting the studio provenance and is often signed by a studio representative. So Premier Props is essentially a charity consignment auctioneer with the consignors being the actual studios.

vivian
06-22-2009, 10:24 PM
yes i agree with you http://www.pppcm.com/138l1291.jpg

both-teams-played-hard
06-23-2009, 12:50 AM
An old thread on the subject:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=13204&highlight=star+trek

A lot of movie used stuff is legitimate. There is a seller on eBay (I forget his name) from Culver City who sells a lot of sports jerseys from sportsrobe. But some stuff, even with studio letters is bogus.

sirbolag
07-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi SAMMY
I am new to this collection game. Afraid I may have fallen for a scam regarding items from ELLIS PROPS. I have COA's from a E bay store that purports to be signed by Steve Karnes and Paul Francis which I fear are frauds.
In your post you said you have a copy of the Ellis catalog. I would like to check items I purchased against the catalog. Is their any place I can see or get a copy of the catalog. Afraid my inexperience is helping a scam artist. Would appreciate any information you can supply-Thank You_ George

wildman_2@verizon.net
10-18-2010, 06:20 AM
i have received a canteen that was suppose to be used in the movie dances with the wolfs from the ellis prop company does anybody know if i can tell if it did come from there all that is on the canteen is a tag no lot number or auction number thanks for any hellp

sammy
10-21-2010, 12:16 AM
----------------

Seriously doubt you have a legitimate Ellis prop. Who did you purchase it from? A lot of yard sale junk is passed off as movie used items.

----------------

Angel
04-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi Sammy, I'm glad that you have posted information about The Costume Collection Auctions here. I have been looking for information about them. Could you help me with a little information? I have four small wardrobe items with COAs from The Costume Collection. I'm researching them to document their authenticity. The COAs are hand signed. The dealer I purchased my items from did not include any letters. He did state that these items were acquired from The Costume Collection sales in 2001. I do not know if they were purchased from the private sale or the public sale. Does the catalog list everything that was for sale in both auctions? In your catalog are there any items listed from the film: Interview with the Vampire? Thank you for your help.

sammy
04-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Hi,

I do not have a catalog for the CC auction. To my knowledge there was not one made. Mine is for the Ellis auction.

If you can post a nice scan of one of the COAs that came with your item(s), I can give you a better idea.

What are the first and last name initials of the dealer you purchased these from?

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Angel
04-15-2011, 03:01 AM
Hi Sammy, Thank you. The dealer "JM". I'm working on the COA scan... it is hand signed by "JL". Oh, your catalog is Ellis, ok. I haven't been able to find a Costume Collection Catalog yet...

jpeeler1960
09-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi Sammy,

I recently acquired this item that was purported to be from the Bonanza TV show, and was wondering if it might be listed in your Ellis auction catalog.

I assume that the number on the bottom was some sort of inventory number, but am not sure.

Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

http://edsel.net/prop1.jpg http://edsel.net/prop2.jpg

Swoboda4
09-27-2011, 12:17 AM
I know I'm "Walter Cronkite" with the late news,but to Godfather fans and anyone thinking about acquiring the gun that was used by Pacino to shoot Sterling Hayden I say this and it is the truth. The gun used in that scene(s) Clemenza basement,bathroom,and restaurant,belongs to Det Sonny Grosso NYPD. It was his actual off duty gun.( He had two parts in that movie.He was one of the machine-gun killers of James Caan at the toll booth,and he was the cop who told Sterling Hayden in front of the hospital that Michael was a war hero). It was this real life French Connection Detectives gun that was used in those scenes. He still has his off duty off course and it was never for sale. Anyone claiming to be selling this particular gun is misinformed and wrong.
I last spoke to Det Grosso last week and he gearing up for his second hip replacement which he's not to thrilled about. He also said that another detective was used as an extra (Det Joe Nunziata)in that causeway scene machine gunning Caan,and was the real life detective portrayed as Det Gino Mosconi in The Prince of the City,who killed himself tragically. There's a lot of back stories to The Godfather,but that the gun used by Michael was available
is absolutely false.

Larry Pelliccioni
09-27-2011, 11:20 AM
I have dealt with some of the Hollywood types here with the understanding that there may have been multiples as previously discussed. Collecting movie worns is a little trickier than game worns however I have found and acquired some great items from the following movies:

A League of Their Own
All the Right Moves
Angels in the Outfield
Any Given Sunday
Babe
Baseketball
Best of Times
Blackhawk Down
Blind Side
Brian's Song 2002
Broken Arrow
Cobb
Cool Runnings
Damn Yankees
Drums Along the Mohawk
Everybody's All American
Express-Ernie Davis Story
Faculty
Friday Night Lights TELEVISION
Friday Night Lights
Game Plan
Gridiron Gang
Gus
Hell's Kitchen
Independence Day
Invincible
Johnny Be Good
Keep Your Head Up Kid: Don Cherry
Last Boy Scout
Leatherheads
Longest Yard
Mighty Ducks 2
Mighty Ducks 3
Miracle
Miracle on Ice
Mystery Alaska
Natural
Necessary Roughness
Net Worth
North Dallas Forty
Not Another Teen Movie
Pearl Harbor
Program
Radio
Remember the Titans
School Ties
Scorpion King
Sixty One*
Slap Shot 2
The Replacements
Varsity Blues
Waterboy
We Are Marshall
We Three Kings
We Were Soldiers

I have also indicated in the past, my willingness to help fellow collectors who may be considering getting something from these movies and what some of the characteristics of mine are. This is a hobby of sharing however I get discouraged when posts appear that sometimes paint all movie worns exist under a cloud of suspicion, they don't.

The pride and joy of my collection is the actor portraying Jim Craig in Miracle's mask and Leo Gorcey's hockey jersey from the 1939 movie, Hell's Kitchen.

Larry Pelliccioni

NEFAN
09-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Larry, just curious, what do you have from We were Soldiers?

solarlottry
09-28-2011, 02:01 AM
Larry-wondering if you have any idea where Ricky Watters jersey from "Any Given Sunday" is, after it was sold by GF a few years back. I would offer a very fair price for it.

thanks much
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com