Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jake33
    • Nov 2005

Future of "photo matching" will be questioned

Hi there fellow collector's. I just wanted to give a heads-up and my thought of what will happen with photo matching, if it hasn't already.

My mother runs a photography studio, and recently she took a photo of a young man for his senior photos, the young man had a black-eye that he wanted to be taken away from the photography, I would LOVe the show her great computer editing but without the clients premission, but it would be unethical to say the least...

When I saw the finished product, I was extremely shocked to see how amazingly flawless the results were. I asked my mother to doctor a photo of a Brett Favre game photo and to put blood and grass stains on the white jersey, she was able to color match the grass from the field and apply it, after a handlebar mustache and some more goofing around. It became apart that doctoring photos to get a "photo match" can't be that far on the horizon. Also my mother uses a slightly more expensive and advanced version of Adobe photoshop which ANYONE can easily get.

Don't think this will happen? ESPN has been doing it for years. Yes, for a recent example, did anyone notice that Bobby Abreu had a photo with a yankees jersey and cap within hours of getting traded? What they did was photoshop the stock photo of his Phillies picture. They do this all the time as I am sure many of you have already picked up on...

The problem with this industry is that it always seems to get dirtier. It is no secret that if you cna photo match a jersey the odds are the jersey will increase value. We all have heard or suspected at one point someone dirty-ing up or staining a game ISSUED jersey. Image if someone took a game issued jersey, then doctored up the jersey then edited a photo. Scarry.

What I feel would help is making SURE that someone doing a photo match can say where they got it, GETTY Images will continue to be a GREAT source. Or even a team's website. If someone says that "they took the photo themselves" it could cause concern for being weary.

If this hasn't happened yet, I have no doubt that it will happen one day. As collector's we have to stay on top of the game...
  • Eric
    • Jan 1970

Re: Future of "photo matching" will be questioned

Jake

This is an interesting thread.

While we're talking about photomatching I was wondering if you could share with the forum members the manner in which you photomatch items.

Recently you sold a Rocco Baldelli jersey on ebay which came from Authentic Sports, a seller we have discussed on this forum.

When I mentioned to you that people (including myself) have had some problems with their items, you told me you were able to photomatch the jersey, so you weren't worried about it.

Can you tell people here on the forum how you were able to find a photomatch to the one you were selling, thus removing any worry about its authenticity.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your response.
    Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• skipcareyisfat
      • Nov 2005

It'd be extremely difficult to pull off in most cases, I think. There are too many things you'd have to get right for it to look good, like the angling, size and exact position of a mark(s). Also, a photo only represents one particular moment in time. Your bat or helmet, for example, will most likely show more use than the one in the picture. I've photo-matched about 10 items in my collection and there are always a few more marks on my items than in the pics.

Also, organizations like the AP, Wireimages, Getty, etc. most likely have policies against doctoring photos. In fact, a few days ago Reuters canned a photographer for doing just that. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5254838.stm) I'm personally not worried about it.
      "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Comment

• sportscentury
        • Nov 2005

Did anyone see the story on the Reuters photographer who was fired for doctoring photographs of the war? Apparently, the doctoring he allegedly engaged in can be done (and may have been done) using Photoshop!

Here is one of the many links to this story (though I originally heard the story on MSNBC early yesterday morning and a follow-up piece was added on Photoshop and similar software):

Reid
        Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• sportscentury
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by skipcareyisfat
          In fact, a few days ago Reuters canned a photographer for doing just that. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5254838.stm) I'm personally not worried about it.
          You are a faster typer!
          Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• kingjammy24
            • Nov 2005

anyone wanna buy a pujols jersey? it's hammered with use, grass stains on the shoulder, dirt on front. it's from the game where he had a beard and big, gold pirate hoop earring.

seriously though, i have little doubt that the actual production of any sort of doctored photo would be trivial for someone with the right skills.

if you're concerned about doctored "photo matches", then just ensure you know the details & origins of the photo being provided. every doctored photo has an undoctored original somewhere.

rudy.

Comment

• jake33
              • Nov 2005

Steve from auth sports got the photo for me

Comment

• otismalibu
                • Nov 2005

I would think the PhotoShop experts would have no problem with this. Just work from the jersey, back to the photo. Take the photo of the stain, repair, etc. and then clone that onto the photo of your choice. Voila! Photo match.
                Greg
                DrJStuff.com

Comment

• skipcareyisfat
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by otismalibu
                  I would think the PhotoShop experts would have no problem with this. Just work from the jersey, back to the photo. Take the photo of the stain, repair, etc. and then clone that onto the photo of your choice. Voila! Photo match.
                  Yes, but how often do modern jerseys get used enough to be repaired? And how many of them are sold unwashed? Not many. Altering a photo of a pinstriped jersey would near impossible, too, I would think. Overall, I still believe it would be difficult to pull off. But maybe it's just wishful thinking!!!
                  "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Comment

• otismalibu
                    • Nov 2005

Yes, but how often do modern jerseys get used enough to be repaired? And how many of them are sold unwashed? Not many. Altering a photo of a pinstriped jersey would near impossible, too, I would think. Overall, I still believe it would be difficult to pull off. But maybe it's just wishful thinking!!!
                    I think that Carlton jersey that Howard was posting about would be a good example. Someone could easily take a picture of that nameplate and put it on a photo. Same with iffy numbers. Not saying this could be done with every jersey, but I think many would be an easy canvas for "creativity".
                    Greg
                    DrJStuff.com

Comment

• sportscentury
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by kingjammy24
                      anyone wanna buy a pujols jersey? it's hammered with use, grass stains on the shoulder, dirt on front. it's from the game where he had a beard and big, gold pirate hoop earring. rudy.
                      Beautiful!

Comment

• Eric
                        • Jan 1970

Originally posted by jake33
                        Steve from auth sports got the photo for me
                        Jake-

What specifically made it a photomatch?
                        In your ebay auction it didn't look like there were many distinguishing characteristics on the jersey.Any chance you can post a copy of the photomatch photo here?

Here's what you sold on ebay for $399.05
                        RB.JPG.jpg
                        RB2.JPG.jpg

Here's the listing

ERIC
                        Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• skipcareyisfat
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by otismalibu
                          I think that Carlton jersey that Howard was posting about would be a good example. Someone could easily take a picture of that nameplate and put it on a photo. Same with iffy numbers. Not saying this could be done with every jersey, but I think many would be an easy canvas for "creativity".
                          I can see that. On the other hand, someone could take a jersey to ball field, put it on, slide headfirst into second base, then take a picture of the jersey and paste the marks onto a game photo. Maybe I should keep these ideas to myself.

Comment

• jake33
                            • Nov 2005

Eric, quit hounding my ass over this, I got a photo match that steve sent me off a yahoo or google search, i printed it off and sent it with the jersey, that is fine that you have a major issue with whatever comes out from steve at auth sports. I did my homework on the jersey, so did the buyer, if you are trying to imply that what I sold was fake, you only have speculation and it is founded on your past experience with the compay, yes I think Steve is an a****** too, if that makes you happy...

Comment

• Swoboda4
                              • Nov 2005

The future of photomatching will have to be videotaping or the acquiring of libraries of televised games of players of your interest to eliminate photo tampering which by the below article is widespread in all fields. :

Comment

Working...