PDA

View Full Version : Old Red Sox jerseys

jgoldstein2000
11-27-2010, 04:04 PM
I have been looking at older Red Sox jerseys (1940s) including one that I own (a Bobby Doerr). The description of these jerseys usually says that the numbre and/or the team name has been restored. Sometimes it mentions that the jersey was sent down to the minors or came from the minors.

Can someone explain to me the reasons why numbers/team names were restored? Is this because jerseys were recycled for multiple years? Were jerseys sent between the minors and majors? How does one get a relative level of comfort that these old jerseys were in fact worn by the player in question (determined usually solely by the number)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

both-teams-played-hard
11-27-2010, 05:12 PM
How does one get a relative level of comfort that these old jerseys were in fact worn by the player in question?

That's the million dollar question. Most should have a name chain-stitched in the tail or collar. So, even if the number is "restored" the original name swatch should give some comfort. I am no fan of restored flannels. I think they should be left as-is, to how the minor or major team left them.

How was the comfort level of your Doerr established?

LWMM
11-27-2010, 06:11 PM
What causes a team to change or remove the number on a jersey? I can see a team that relies on recycled jerseys having two with the same number and thus changing one. Any other reasons?

jgoldstein2000
11-27-2010, 06:17 PM
How was the comfort level of your Doerr established?

No name tag in the Doerr. War patch, right jersey and lettering from what I could tell, right tagging, but no name tag (supposedly fell out). Most of the jerseys I have seen don't have the name tags but I realize that would give the biggest level of comfort. Were the name tags always present in the 1940s jerseys?

jgoldstein2000
11-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Here is an example of one with the name tag (a Don D.) but supposedly the jersey was first used in the minor leagues and Red Sox was "restored".

You can see it 3 quarters of the way down the page:

http://www.bostonsports.com/BostonSports/Baseball/baseball.html

jgoldstein2000
11-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi both teams.

Do you (or anyone else) have any more insight on sox jerseys from the 40s? I really haven't been able to find much information about what to look for (and whether there are many fakes) from this era. Thanks in advance to anyone.

Jeremy

both-teams-played-hard
11-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Sorry, I don't know much.
One from AMI, a few years back:
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=16647&t=Closed&p=0&q=red%20sox%20flannel&offset=20

Are you asking about a Sox jersey currently for sale?
If so, what are the details of this jersey?

sox83cubs84
11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
I know of at least one questionable jersey from this time frame. When at MEARS, we rejected a supposed 1946 home Ted Williams for multiple reasons. The owner, after the MEARS rejection, took it to an area friend of his, who (as is nornally the case with this guy...hint, hint), had no problem writing a LOA.

Dave Miedema

platinum1
11-28-2010, 08:01 PM
I know of at least one questionable jersey from this time frame. When at MEARS, we rejected a supposed 1946 home Ted Williams for multiple reasons. The owner, after the MEARS rejection, took it to an area friend of his, who (as is nornally the case with this guy...hint, hint), had no problem writing a LOA.

Dave Miedema
Can I take a guess Dave? lol ;)

jgoldstein2000
11-28-2010, 10:30 PM
S

Are you asking about a Sox jersey currently for sale?
If so, what are the details of this jersey?

There is a Vern Stephens in the Grey Flannel auction but it was more of a general question because I have such a hard time finding information on jerseys from this era. My main questions have to do with:

Name tags: Were these the norm? Multiple jerseys seem to have this missing?

Restoration: These jerseys seem to almost always have either the number or lettering restored. What does this mean? Does this mean team repairs or someone restoring for cosmetic purposes.

For example, the Birdie Tebbetts jersey you linked to has no name tag and the "Red Sox" has been reapplied...

both-teams-played-hard
11-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Name tags: Were these the norm? Multiple jerseys seem to have this missing?

Restoration: These jerseys seem to almost always have either the number or lettering restored. What does this mean? Does this mean team repairs or someone restoring for cosmetic purposes.

For example, the Birdie Tebbetts jersey you linked to has no name tag and the "Red Sox" has been reapplied...

They could be minor league jerseys that have never seen the majors. They could have been recycled to the majors and had the team name changed. I'd feel more comfortable with a Birdie Tebbetts than a Ted Williams. Overall, this game worn jersey stuff is confusing.