Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • panthrotc
    • Dec 2005

MCGWIRE 1996 Mears "5" Jersey on EBAY HELP I got ??"S

Can some one explain why a jersey like this would receieve only a 5? what about the photo math mentioned in the description about the jersey being photomatched? I checked the image in ghetty's site and you really cant tell. But how is grade a 5 received? does that mean theres not much use? any input on this is greatly appreciated.

eBay: 1996 MARK McGWIRE GAME USED SIGNED JERSEY ATHLETICS COA (item 220014120882 end time Aug-11-06 16:57:08 PDT)
  • sammy
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: MCGWIRE 1996 Mears "5" Jersey on EBAY HELP I got ??"S

Hi,

The jersey itself is not photo matched, just the jersey style.

A grade of 5 means the jersey has the same attributes as a professional style jersey, but they can't say with any certainty that McGwire actually wore the jersey, or for that matter they don't even know if he has actually ever even seen that particular jersey.

There would also be minimal to very light use, if any.

Basically, all they are saying with a grade of 5 is that it is a professional style jersey, but other then that, you are on your own.

Comment

• mr.miracle
      • Apr 2006

I believe if you go to MEARS website it also does have a link that explains in some detail at least what each grade means and how they reach it.

Brett
      Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

• trsent
        Banned
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by sammy
        Hi,

The jersey itself is not photo matched, just the jersey style.

A grade of 5 means the jersey has the same attributes as a professional style jersey, but they can't say with any certainty that McGwire actually wore the jersey, or for that matter they don't even know if he has actually ever even seen that particular jersey.

There would also be minimal to very light use, if any.

Basically, all they are saying with a grade of 5 is that it is a professional style jersey, but other then that, you are on your own.
        I do not believe anywhere MEARS states that an A5 jersey will have "minimal to very light use" as any modern era jersey that is submitted to them without a letter from the team or player will receive an A5 if it is properly tagged. The use for such a classification is not part of the grade as it is so hard to prove game use on a modern day item such as the jersey in question.

Comment

• sammy
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

Joel,

Let me quote from MEAR's website:

A5........... The degree of wear will be measured from minimal to heavy..........

For jersey's assigned the A5 grade, use and wear will be described, but not verified.

On a personal note, you don't have to argue with everyone about everything.

Comment

• trsent
            Banned
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by sammy
            Joel,

Let me quote from MEAR's website:

A5........... The degree of wear will be measured from minimal to heavy..........

For jersey's assigned the A5 grade, use and wear will be described, but not verified.

On a personal note, you don't have to argue with everyone about everything.
            How am I auguring about anything? I mentioned that your comment was off because you stated "There would also be minimal to very light use, if any". This statement was incorrect, as you corrected yourself above that the wear can be "minimal to heavy".

You need to chill out. I am allowed to chime in a discussion with my views, I am not looking for arguments. Discussions help a person determine if their concerns are addressed.

Anything else?

Comment

• sammy
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Hi Joel,

Talk about chilling out, you could use some of your own advice on many days and many posts.

To quote you " The use for such a classification is not part of the grade..."

Obviously since I quoted directly from the MEAR's website concerning wear being part of the A5 grade, your statement was totally incorrect.

apples and oranges

Comment

• trsent
                Banned
                • Nov 2005

Ok, so in other words, your comment that the jersey shows little or no wear because it is an A5 is not (??) incorrect because the web site states the item can show little to heavy wear.

When you assume...

I guess the point is you cannot have a discussion without throwing other issues into a conversation that have nothing to do with the discussion. My blood pressure is fine, don't assume anything about my posts having to do with how my blood pressure level is.

Comment

• sammy
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2005

Joel,

You are the most augmentative individual on this site. You pick the least little thing out of someone's post and try to bring something up or constantly defend people and companies that are bad for the hobby, but maybe good for your business.

Who cares if I didn't include the word heavy in my answer? At least I tried to give the guy some info instead of waiting for someone to post something so I could find something inconsistent, mistaken, not complete, inaccurate, or just something you don't agree with to rant about.

The guy's question was posted this morning. Basiclly as soon as I posted some info, others started to chime in. Heck, post some info on the subject instead of trying to find negative to write about.

Joel, you don't discuss. You are just a black cloud waiting to rain on someone.

Last post on this so have a good night.

Comment

• nate
                    • Nov 2005

Sammy you are the only person on this thread that needs to chill out. You jumped all over Joel for correcting your incorrect statement about use on an A5.

Comment

• Fraudfinder!!
                      • Nov 2005

I will agree 100% with sammy on this. Joel Albert is the most argumentive, derisive person to post on this forum. He obviously loves to "rile" people up. I debated even to post this because I truely believe that Mr. Albert loves the attention that he gets with his post. My biggest laugh is when he always says that "this will be the last post I make on this thread!" yet he just cannot help himself and will continue to post on the thread. I challenge you Mr. Albert to ignore this, I bet you can"t.

Comment

• sportscentury
                        • Nov 2005

Fraudfinder!!,

Not to change the subject (although I am happy to change the subject), do you have any interesting "finds" to report to us?

I think I speak on behalf of many of us who love and appreciate your fine work. I haven't seen you as a bidder on eBay as much these days. Given some of the blatantly bogus junk I've seen lately, I'd say there is dire need for your services!

Any good stories or interesting reports?

Best,
                        Reid
                        Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• trsent
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Fraudfinder!!
                          I will agree 100% with sammy on this. Joel Albert is the most argumentive, derisive person to post on this forum. He obviously loves to "rile" people up. I debated even to post this because I truely believe that Mr. Albert loves the attention that he gets with his post. My biggest laugh is when he always says that "this will be the last post I make on this thread!" yet he just cannot help himself and will continue to post on the thread. I challenge you Mr. Albert to ignore this, I bet you can"t.
                          If you can't get my name right, don't bother. Also, I do not care what you believe about what I think, it is not your business. I sign my name to all my posts, any reason you don't? I am often in the right, so my knowledge must mean something to someone with all the positive emails I receive from forum members.

Sammy, sorry you feel wrong, but your post made it seem like anything with a MEARS grade of A5 showed light or no use, and I commented on your statement. Get over it, you made a blanket statement that could have been taken out of concept. I do not know why you made this a personal issue, I didn't care until you became a jerk about the discussion.

If your feelings are hurt, call a doctor. They are prescribing medicine for problems such as this like candy these days.

Comment

• R. C. Walker
                            • Nov 2005

Joel Albert? The guy from the Tijuana Brass?
                            R. C. Walker
                            sigpic

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

Comment

• trsent
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2005

Nah, that is Herb and his name is spelled Alpert.

Comment

Working...