PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez forged "Manolo" Glomar bat

gameused
12-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Manny Ramirez "Manolo" bat with forged game use offered for sale by Dan Rosquette, screen name(bostongameused)

This bat was offered to me as a game ready bat in June of this year, right after Manny made his return to Fenway while playing with the Dodgers.

I received three photos of the bat and as you can see the bat had no visible ballmarks or seam marks, just some pine tar was applied to the center label and mid-handle area.

A few days ago the bat was listed for sale by Dan. First thing that I noticed about the bat is that it has some weak looking leather transfer marks along with some seam marks, I go back and check my saved photos of the game ready "Manolo" bat and it's the same bat, the yellow lines point to specific marks on the bat that match up perfectly.

Hey Dan....you got some explaining to do, I along with the members of this forum eagerly await your response.

Bobby

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=39763

yankees506
12-05-2010, 03:13 PM
maybe he gave the bat back to manny to use after you turned it down ;) :mad: :eek: . I actually considered buying a hanley bat from "Dan" wow. btw a quick shout out to Bobby for exposing this and helping me with my purchase of an actual Game Used Manny Manolo bat a while back.

SkubeBats
12-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Bobby,
Nice job on catching that. We need to kick people off of here if their going to pull this crap on their fellow collectors.

Gyro123
12-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Good work Bobby

And another one bites the dust

RRexpressfan94
12-05-2010, 05:28 PM
dont you just love people who try and corrupt our hobby like this? people like this truly piss me off, they need to get a life, and maybe a better job if your THAT desperate for money.

justinbittner220
12-05-2010, 06:14 PM
gameused,
Was Dan the person who offered it to you for sale or did he buy it from the person that originally tried to sell it to you?

bostongameused
12-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Game Used and the GUU Community:

Recent activities concerning my post of a Manny Ramirez Monolo bat have left me no option but to respond. Before I do so some foundation must be laid and my relationship with Bobby is truly relevant.

Following Manny Ramirez’s trade from the Boston Red Sox I was given the remaining items use by Manny during his stint with the Red Sox. It was at this point that I came to know Bobby, an avid Manny fan. I had several bats of Manny’s that Bobby coveted. Two of which were a heavily used SSK Model and a Japanese Model bat. Unfortunately, when he contacted me I had reached a tentative deal with another avid Manny fan whose name I shall omit. While dealing with each I found it odd that these two collectors were at odds with each other. Both spoke poorly about one another and I chalked it up to the competitive nature of the hobby. In the end I sold the bats to Bobby as he seemed to be a passionate Manny fan.

A few days later a pleasant relationship with Bobby was formed. He kindly sent me some coffee and granola and from this point forward I offered every Manny item I had or was offered to me to Bobby. As the two short years progressed Bobby continued to purchase several items from me. In fact he often helped me find buyers for my items again a token of Bobby’s kind nature. Aside from Bobby many of you on the forum or in the collecting hobby have purchased items from me with pleasant results.

Unfortunately this past August my relationship with Bobby ended. I had a pounded Manny Mash bat that he coveted. Due to the recent friction in my previous negotiations with Bobby our relationship had soured before this final attempted transaction. I say this because as previously mentioned I would offer several Manny or game used items to Bobby and he would beat me down on price say it was this and that only for me to lower my price and see him post the items on GUU as photo-matched. This rubbed me the wrong way. Thus in our negotiation for the final pounded Manny Mash bat things escalated to me getting angry and refusing to sell the bat to him. Later on I apologized but never heard back from Bobby.

I was not sure of what to make of our relationship after that day but it was safe to say we would no longer be doing any deals. Then late during this baseball season I made the following post, which Bobby commented on:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=38144

This confirmed to me that our relationship was over. I chalked it up as the cost of doing business and mostly my fault for getting angry when perhaps I should not have.

This brings me to the present day and the Manny Monolo bat. I was brought this bat along with several others this past week. In examining the bat and its use it appeared consistent with Manny’s use. It even had wear on the knob end from where Manny hits his bat on the plate. In fact my first thought when I received the bat was I didn’t know Glomar still made bats and wow a nickname bat. I did a search online and found pictures of Manny using a like model and felt comfortable posting the bat.

Well what appeared to be a cool bat turned into a nightmare. Although I’ve worked with Manny and a number of players I have never proclaimed myself an expert. There are many things I don’t know. The more you learn the more you realize there is so much you don’t know.

I have always respected Bobby’s knowledge and the amount of time he puts into collecting Manny. I have been a member of this community for a while now. Why would I post a doctored Manny bat on the forum for sale knowing Bobby scans not only the forum but every Manny at bat and Manny item offered for sale? I wouldn’t and the reason I did is because I thought the item was legit.

There are times like this that help define who you are and what you stand for. If anyone is still reading at this point I would like to ask that those whom know me, what I stand for, and have had a successful transaction with me to stand up and post here. It is far too easy to allow one person to post something negative and even easier to turn ones back on that person.

I am disappointed Bobby never expressed his concerns directly to me but instead went right to the forum. Had I received this information I would never have attempted to sell the bat and would have posted that the item was no longer for sale. Perhaps there is an ulterior motive. Regardless, I respect Bobby even though I may not agree with how he handled the situation.

As a side note my connections within the hobby consist of the players I work with, clubhouse attendants, and many of the same person(s) places that Bobby retrieves his Red Sox items. In fact the recent pickup of Bobby’s (V-Mart) catching gear came from me. I want to thank you for taking the time to read this and for your consideration.

Thanks

Bostongameused (my user name will not change)

yankees506
12-05-2010, 06:49 PM
so are you stating you purchased this doctored bat from the person who first offered it as issued to Bobby?

justinbittner220
12-05-2010, 07:07 PM
If we could figure out who originally owned the bat, it would be quite helpful.

gameused
12-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes, I did buy some items from you including Manny GU bats and some other Red Sox players.

You know I have several friends/connections in Boston that I deal with for game used items and the Victor Martinez gear came from one of those contacts and not from you Dan, stop your pathetic lying!

The fact is the guy that owned the V-Mart gear let you take some photos of the equipment and you said to him that you could sell the gear to a collector who is a member of this forum and that you could get big money, when you did not come through, I ended up buying the gear from the owner who was given the equipment from V-Mart at the end of the season.

If we had a falling out months ago, why would you sell me the gear?? Makes no sense to me...I await your answer Dan.

Getting back to the main focus of this thread the Manny "Manolo" bat, you just stated the following Dan:

"This brings me to the present day and the Manny Monolo bat. I was brought this bat along with several others this past week. In examining the bat and its use it appeared consistent with Manny’s use. It even had wear on the knob end from where Manny hits his bat on the plate. In fact my first thought when I received the bat was I didn’t know Glomar still made bats and wow a nickname bat. I did a search online and found pictures of Manny using a like model and felt comfortable posting the bat.

Well what appeared to be a cool bat turned into a nightmare. Although I’ve worked with Manny and a number of players I have never proclaimed myself an expert. There are many things I don’t know. The more you learn the more you realize there is so much you don’t know."

When you listed the bat you said you got it in Chicago, in fact the guy who you almost sold the bat to sent me this e-mail and you wrote in that you got the bat from Manny directly. He also sent me all the additional photos he requested from you and a letter of authenticity you also wrote for him:

Kevin,

Let me help you out. His name is Bobby Texeria and he has a grudge against me for the simple fact that I no longer sell items to him.

It all began a couple seasons ago when Manny was traded to LA. Do to my relationship with Manny I had all his remaining Red Sox items. Once Bobby heard about me he asked if he could buy a few bats. To which I sold him two. Bobby was very nice and polite evens sent me some coffee from Hawaii.

From that point forward every Manny item I had I would offer to him and for the most part he was very responsive but would always try to low ball me. Then when I would sell the item to him for a cheaper price based on what he told me he would go photo match the bat or item and then post on GUU how he got a great price on the item that he was able to later photo match. This iterated me for the simply fact what he would tell me and what was the truth seemed at odds and then he would photo match an item thus making it more valuable all while knocking me down with price based on what he said.

Finally in August of 2010 I had another bat he wanted a heavily used Red Sox Manny Mash bat. I wanted $600 he wanted only to pay $500. Fearing that he was again knocking me down on price and would later photo match the bat I refused to sell him the bat. I also got upset and told him to never deal with me again. As a result of this he has become the only person in the collecting community that has had issues with me. As a result of this he has spoken poorly about me every chance he gets and hear he is again trying to ruin a sale because he knows I wont sell him the Manny bat. In fact the first time I noticed this is when he posted a comment on my Dustin Pedroia game used bat on the forum. The post is still there so make sure to check it out.

Today Booby has a great collection and I wont speak poorly about him. He is also very knowledgeable but his opinion in this matter is very biased and motivated no to help you but instead to get back at me. When you do speak to him I suggest you confirm these facts. Please do also ask him about the following items he bought from me:

Manny SSK bat
Manny Japanese Model Bat
Dustin Pedroia Cleats
Victor Martinez catching gear (he just recently purchased these from me without me knowing. In fact he had another collector by them from me on his behalf because he knew I wouldn't sell them to him and then I found out when he posted the items on the recently pick up section)

I don't expect you to buy the bat and that's fine. I am bothered by this ordeal because I am a respectful hard working honest man. I saw Manny use this bat, he handed this bat along with several items personally to me and now a self proclaimed expert on a forum is acting like he knows everything. Well I can assure you he buys every item he gets, he works with no players and in the end it is his word against mine. But please do ask yourself how could one obtain all the items I have if I didnt work whom I claim? I will also be happy to provide you with references, and will refund you your money if your bat does not pass PSA DNA Authentication. I have also provided you with a later. If you decide to let Bobby ruin our transaction then that is o.k.

I am sorry for his antics and wish you nothing but the best. Be well.

Dan

Dan...lets see what you have to say now...."I'll bet my reputaion against your anyday of the week. Ask anyone that has dealt with me, they know me as a stand up guy with legit, unforged game used Red Sox items.

Bobby

bostongameused
12-05-2010, 08:20 PM
I will defer to Bobby as to whom first offered him the bat but I was brought this bat along with several others this past week from a gentlemen named Amare who is a well known Red Sox employee as well as close associate of several Dominican players.

Based on the use I found the item to be a legit gamer and posted it for sale on GUU. I did not purchase the bat or the others but instead offered to help him sell them in return for a percentage of the profits. As one can imagine no percentage can make this nightmare go away.

yankees506
12-05-2010, 08:27 PM
I will defer to Bobby as to whom first offered him the bat but I was brought this bat along with several others this past week from a gentlemen named Amare who is a well known Red Sox employee as well as close associate of several Dominican players.

Based on the use I found the item to be a legit gamer and posted it for sale on GUU. I did not purchase the bat or the others but instead offered to help him sell them in return for a percentage of the profits. As one can imagine no percentage can make this nightmare go away.

I saw Manny use this bat, he handed this bat along with several items personally to me and now a self proclaimed expert on a forum is acting like he knows everything

I guess you saying you saw the bat being used was just a small fib to make the buyer feel you are legit. give me a break. if someone where to present this bat to Bobby i doubt they would have added the use. smh

gamer35
12-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Just an FYI but I had correspondence with a potential buyer of the bat who had received an email from bostongameused stating that "he obtained the bat directly from Manny while he was in Chicago." The timeline and provenance certainly appears to differ based on these recent postings by Dan. Now it was obtained by a Red Sox clubbie a week ago even though you personally saw Manny use it during the season? And you expect people to believe this?

gameused
12-05-2010, 08:51 PM

Dan,

Don't try to pin this on anyone but yourself.

You lied about where you originally obtained the Manny "Manolo" bat, saying it was handed by Manny directly to you, you know the guy you got the bat from is a Dominican guy who was given this bat by Manny when he played in Boston and he would have no clue on how Manny holds the bat to generate ballmarks on the left hitting area of the barrel or how Manny taps the plate the top of the bat on home plate before each at bat.

He would not know this Dan.....but you sure would....come clean Dan.....I know you did it...don't blame something you did on my Dominican friends, guys I call "my brothers"

These guys are honest hard working people, who are just trying to supplement their income from the game used items the receive from doing errands for the players.

Bobby

gameused
12-05-2010, 09:34 PM
What happened Dan?? Are you thinking hard on the next lie you want to tell?

You still did not answer my questions on the V-Mart gear.

Here's the letter Dan wrote to the potential buyer, I omitted his last name.

Bobby

rmichne
12-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Ouch!

gameused
12-05-2010, 10:01 PM
What happened Dan?? Are you thinking hard on the next lie you want to tell?

You still did not answer my questions on the V-Mart gear.

Here's the letter Dan wrote to the potential buyer, I omitted his last name.

Bobby

I missed deleting a part of Kevin's last name....He told me it was ok to print the letter along with his full name.

Bobby

bostongameused
12-05-2010, 10:15 PM
This will be my last post as this thread has become a personal attack. I did not alter any bats and have responded in an appropriate manner. The allegations against me and who I am what I do could not be further from the truth.

yankees506
12-05-2010, 10:28 PM
This will be my last post as this thread has become a personal attack. I did not alter any bats and have responded in an appropriate manner. The allegations against me and who I am what I do could not be further from the truth.

sounds like a classic womp-womp-womp answer, not so nice try...... good riddens

gamer35
12-05-2010, 10:49 PM

Dan, you cannot dispute that you initially stated you obtained it from Manny and saw him use it during the season only to change your story stating that you got from a clubhouse guy a week ago. Facts are facts. You may not have altered the bat but you certainly mislead the buyer and signed an LOA which contains mistruths. Please respond to those "allegations."

nycpropain
12-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Really the ol' "this is my last post" post? Famous last words from 99% of the scam artists out there. You should at least try to defend yourself before running away it looks less suspicious. Ever notice those last posts never answer anything asked?

EurekaDave
12-08-2010, 01:43 AM
First, I've had good dealings with Dan Rosquete and would do so again.

Second, the level of discourse has sunk so low as to make us all look bad. "Can't we all just get along?"

Dave Silverbrand

Bravesfan
12-08-2010, 03:35 AM

Second, the level of discourse has sunk so low as to make us all look bad. "Can't we all just get along?"

Dave Silverbrand
I may be new to this forum but I can see that the bat is 100% doctored and that Dan is a liar.
If by "Cant we all get along" you are suggesting that we let a crook rip people off with no accountabilty then I hope you are the only one feeling that way. I also have no idea why you would feel that way.

gameused
12-09-2010, 02:51 AM

Dave Silverbrand

Dave,

Would you feel the same way if you were the buyer of the Manny bat Dan was selling? Just because you had some good deals with Dan in the past does not make what he did acceptable in any way. He cant even apologize and accept responsibility for what he did, saying only that "this post is my last" and that this thread become a "personal attack".......Dan brought this upon himself.

I have no respect for people who conduct business this way. My father use to tell me "Honesty is the best policy" sooner or later your lies will catch up with you, in Dan's case, it caught up with him.

Happy Holidays,
Bobby

EurekaDave
12-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Danny,
Points well-taken. I am sure I have spent hundreds of dollars on bogus trash from people. Even baseball teams have sold me "game-used" stuff that wasn't,

So, yeah, I can see how you feel.

I did do a more than fair trade with Dan on some stuff, and I put that out there just for the sake of fairness.

On the other hand, I don't know a whole lot about baseball stuff. As my wife often says, "Honey, do you have any idea what you are talking about?" And I say, "You know what, dear? No I don't."

Thanks for your thoughts.
Dave Silverbrand

You can write to me any time. All I get now are e-mail Neiman Marcus ads. das1721@att.net

rchimes13@yahoo.com
10-29-2011, 10:39 PM
After reading this and another thread regarding the same individual, Dan, I can't help but post about my experience with him. I was already in contact with Dan, much like AWA85 was, regarding his Cincinnati Reds item(s)...namely the Aroldis Chapman 2011 game worn road jersey. Upon reading these posts on Game Used Universe I believe it is only HUMAN to become skeptical...HOWEVER, it is also only HUMANE to give somebody the benefit of the doubt and allow yourself to judge someone, NOT others to pass judgement. That is what I did when I purchased the jersey and several other items that were kindly included from Dan. I was up front with him about the posts and my level of concern and he answered all questions and concerns in a more than professional, timely, and honest way. Provided countless pictures showing every detail you could want to see and was patient with me getting the funds together as well. I cannot speak on Dan's (from what I can see) one unsatisfied buyer/deal and cannot say that he wasn't in the wrong...all I can speak on is my experience with him and that was one word...AMAZING! Hopefully through allowing Dan the opportunity to make a believer out of me, I have formed a great relationship with someone who can help me obtain some amazing and hard to come by items from a couple of my favorite Reds players. This is a community forum and I do agree that we as a collecting community need to have each others backs, we cannot let personal feelings and issues spill over into our posts, especially ones that affect someone's lively hood and credibility. I would recommend dealing with Dan on any level possible and am pretty sure you will have the same positive outcome that I experienced. Thanks Dan!

dougiedshow
01-22-2012, 03:21 PM
For what it's worth, I just picked up a great game used 2009 Robinson Cano bat from DAN. He saw my post for Cano bats and contacted me... he is great to work with. If you like any of his items, I'd still recommend working with him. He was actually very gratious and open about this situation when I questioned it. Just my two cents...

Doug

dougiedshow@aol.com