PDA

View Full Version : Tigerfest

mlupo
12-06-2010, 02:45 AM
I have been going to Tigerfest for the last 5 years or so and I plan on going again this year. It seems like the Tigers love to keep the date they start selling tickets for it a big secret. Does anyone happen to know when the ticketa for it go on sale(maybe a season ticket holder)? Also, who is planning on going?

russyurk
12-08-2010, 07:02 PM
I got a flood of e-mails today. The event is January 22 and tickets go on sale this Friday at 10 a.m.

mlupo
12-09-2010, 03:36 AM
I got a flood of e-mails today. The event is January 22 and tickets go on sale this Friday at 10 a.m.

I got the email about Tigerfest today too, thanks for posting though.

tigerdale
12-10-2010, 01:54 PM
don't forget to buy your tickets today, they usually sell out in a day or two it seems.......

mlupo
12-10-2010, 02:48 PM
don't forget to buy your tickets today, they usually sell out in a day or two it seems.......

Dale, got my tickets this morning. Man up to $18 this year, they were $12 a couple years ago. Are you going? Maybe I will see you there.

mlupo
12-10-2010, 02:51 PM
I saw on their website that they are having 7 autograph areas this year (including 1 kids only), I feel like they normally have 12-14(including 1 kids only). I wonder if they have a new system this year...if it is the same system as the last few years the wait is going to be even worse. Maybe they are having more signers per line.

russyurk
12-10-2010, 05:35 PM
I picked mine up today. I'm pretty excited, I haven't been since 1995 at the Joe. Plus my son is seven and even though we don't live in Michigan I'm trying very hard to make him a Tigers fan. (I'm pushing the Wings too but sadly I cant do the Lions.)

mlupo
12-11-2010, 05:35 AM
I picked mine up today. I'm pretty excited, I haven't been since 1995 at the Joe. Plus my son is seven and even though we don't live in Michigan I'm trying very hard to make him a Tigers fan. (I'm pushing the Wings too but sadly I cant do the Lions.)

I never went to Tigerfest at the Joe or Cobo, but this will be my 5th year in a row and from what I hear things are run much differently that when it was at the Joe. I think I finally figured out a pretty good system, if you would like any tips just PM me.

Copa
12-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Hey Lupo, I tried to send you a PM, but it said that you have them turned off.

tigerdale
12-11-2010, 01:13 PM
yes, got mine & I'll be there...always a good time!!

mlupo
12-11-2010, 01:56 PM

It says I have PM's enabled, but I changed a few options so maybe it works now. If not shoot me an email mlupo@emich.edu

mlupo
12-15-2010, 05:40 AM

haha I just tried to PM you and it says that YOU have PM's turned off. Just let me know if you still need any info. mlupo@emich.edu

mlupo
12-17-2010, 02:43 PM
I stand corrected, i was informed that there were 7 autograph lines last year as well. I guess nothing is different this year. Now lets see people chime in if they are planning on attending.

mlupo
12-20-2010, 09:29 PM
I got my tickets in the mail today, so keep an eye on you mailboxes. :)

xmartyx
12-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Got mine too. Now just waiting for my early entries to show up...

tigerdale
01-16-2011, 01:54 PM
everyone all set for tigerfest this coming saturday??

russyurk
01-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Any game used tips? I'm guessing there are two locations, Authentics (Marc) and the Tiger's Foundation. How have prices been in the past?

It's going to be a cold one.

xmartyx
01-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Does the foundation have anything good, or is it just the stuff that Marc can't sell?

tigerdale
01-17-2011, 04:58 PM
The authentics & foundation are the two places to hit, although there will be dealers like DC sports there too. The foundation has older items before authentics, or items players have donated liked signed items, also things like programs, tickets stubs, odd ball type things.

russyurk
01-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Dale -how are Marc's prices? Are they decent or will he still be charging $300 for jerseys that Kevin Savage or Kruk Cards will be selling for $74.99 in a couple years?

tigerdale
01-17-2011, 05:58 PM
its so hard to tell what he'll have out. The market for tiger jerseys is flooded, thats for sure. Everyone knows to hold off on the 250-300 price for common guys, cuz they'll be 125 or under soon!! It does seem like late in the season he had a rack where many were under the 200 range, hopefully he has low prices to try & clear some out. Last time I was at hockeytown, on 16 mile, he has a rack in there of lower end jerseys, all in the 100-200 range...JRD jerseys too.

xmartyx
01-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Any possibility that he'll have any Perry jerseys under $200?

mbrieve
01-22-2011, 06:29 PM
I wrote this up for some other boards, so sorry for the added info not pertaining to GU stuff. Let me know if you have any questions about what was being offered and prices (although I think I covered it pretty well):

Got to the park around 9:30am. Procured an early entry ticket about 9:55am. Made it in around 10:20am. Went to the Tigers Club area where they said Zumaya was signing, didn't need him. Walked over to the beer hall where they said Brookens and Avila were signing. I could use both of them, so I took a shot.

Tom Brookens added to my 1984 Tigers Opening Day photo--now complete!
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/mbriev16/IP%20Autographs/84Tigersfinal.jpg

Alex Avila - SS ROMLB
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/mbriev16/IP%20Autographs/Avila.jpg

Then went over to Auto tent E and at 11am Joel Zumaya and two minor leaguers walk in. I decide to run over to the Tiger Club, my usual area the past 5 years...now that they let in the general public it is full. Almost every auto area was now full or had a massive line. So, I decided to check out the Tigers Foundation and Tigers Authentics tents.

At the Foundation tent I purchased two 2000 Comerica Park Opening Day programs, a 2005 ASG program, and a 2003 Detroit Tigers program all for $10 total. The Foundation tent was pretty picked over and didn't seem to have anything but leftovers from last year. A bin of bats had nothing of interest.

Over to the Authentics tent, they had game issued (not used) bats of Brennan Boesch, Rick Porcello, Ivan Rodriguez, Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Guillen, and Austin Jackson all were priced at $100...pass. They also had game used/issued jerseys of Polanco, Damon, Sheffield, Jacob Turner, Todd Jones, and Armando Galarraga. They also had a Carlos Guillen 2010 Home jersey with Ernie Harwell patch that was most likely game used, but did not have MLB authentication. All jerseys were $200, and i was tempted by the Guillen but ultimately passed. They also had game used helmets for $75--Tom Brookens, Ramon Santiago, and Carlos Guillen (and others, but those were the only "names" I remember). Marc Himelstein told me they were all from the clubhouse at the end of 2010, but did not receive authentication for one reason or another, therefore the lower prices. I picked up a Guillen road helmet:
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/mbriev16/Guillenroad.jpg

Also, picked up a line-up card from my son's birthday, pretty excited about this and for $35 couldn't pass it up (also, signed by Leyland):
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/mbriev16/LineupCard.jpg

And with that, I decided I had enough of freezing my a$$ off and got out of there. Probably would have stayed longer if my cousin had come with me, but he got snowed in and couldn't make it out of Holland. Definitely wasn't my best year at TigerFest, but was still worthwhile. Hope everyone else did better!

nationals2k9
01-22-2011, 11:08 PM
I wrote this up for some other boards, so sorry for the added info not pertaining to GU stuff. Let me know if you have any questions about what was being offered and prices (although I think I covered it pretty well):

Got to the park around 9:30am. Procured an early entry ticket about 9:55am. Made it in around 10:20am. Went to the Tigers Club area where they said Zumaya was signing, didn't need him. Walked over to the beer hall where they said Brookens and Avila were signing. I could use both of them, so I took a shot.

Tom Brookens added to my 1984 Tigers Opening Day photo--now complete!
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/mbriev16/IP%20Autographs/84Tigersfinal.jpg

Alex Avila - SS ROMLB
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/mbriev16/IP%20Autographs/Avila.jpg

Then went over to Auto tent E and at 11am Joel Zumaya and two minor leaguers walk in. I decide to run over to the Tiger Club, my usual area the past 5 years...now that they let in the general public it is full. Almost every auto area was now full or had a massive line. So, I decided to check out the Tigers Foundation and Tigers Authentics tents.

At the Foundation tent I purchased two 2000 Comerica Park Opening Day programs, a 2005 ASG program, and a 2003 Detroit Tigers program all for $10 total. The Foundation tent was pretty picked over and didn't seem to have anything but leftovers from last year. A bin of bats had nothing of interest.

Over to the Authentics tent, they had game issued (not used) bats of Brennan Boesch, Rick Porcello, Ivan Rodriguez, Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Guillen, and Austin Jackson all were priced at $100...pass. They also had game used/issued jerseys of Polanco, Damon, Sheffield, Jacob Turner, Todd Jones, and Armando Galarraga. They also had a Carlos Guillen 2010 Home jersey with Ernie Harwell patch that was most likely game used, but did not have MLB authentication. All jerseys were $200, and i was tempted by the Guillen but ultimately passed. They also had game used helmets for $75--Tom Brookens, Ramon Santiago, and Carlos Guillen (and others, but those were the only "names" I remember). Marc Himelstein told me they were all from the clubhouse at the end of 2010, but did not receive authentication for one reason or another, therefore the lower prices. I picked up a Guillen road helmet:
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/mbriev16/Guillenroad.jpg

Also, picked up a line-up card from my son's birthday, pretty excited about this and for $35 couldn't pass it up (also, signed by Leyland):
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/mbriev16/LineupCard.jpg

And with that, I decided I had enough of freezing my a$$ off and got out of there. Probably would have stayed longer if my cousin had come with me, but he got snowed in and couldn't make it out of Holland. Definitely wasn't my best year at TigerFest, but was still worthwhile. Hope everyone else did better!

Nice work Brieve! Really diggin the way you did that photo. Some nice pick-ups too. Not bad!

tigerdale
01-23-2011, 09:38 AM
It sure was a cold one. I found less deals at this one than any others. I agree w/ Marks experience....he told the story well. I think some of it too is now that the tigers have had an authentics department for 4 or 5 years now....some of that thrill is gone. It used to be exciting going thru anything they had, now its more for looking for the better priced items.
They did have BP jerseys for 35...not a bad deal at all...but year after year it gets harder & harder for them to move those items.

brianborsch
01-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Any Will Rhymes items available there?

larry bourget
01-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Any Will Rhymes items available there?

There's a 2010 road on Tigers Auction site that ends tonight 1-23-2011 at 9pm est.

nt_eagle
01-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Also a GU Batting Helmet.

tigerdale
01-23-2011, 05:37 PM
I don't remember seeing any Rhymes items there, but to be honest, I wasn't looking that hard for him either.

russyurk
01-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Brieve did hit it right on the money……and is was COLD. Being a jersey guys it was pretty disappointing, not much beyond the 15-20 $200 jerseys that were most likely game issued at best. There had to be six or seven Sheff's alone. After Marc's e-mail reminder last week where he highlighted the bats, ball, jackets, etc. I e-mailed him specifically about the Jackie Robinson Day jerseys. He then informed be that those were all at the Hockeytown Authentics store in Troy!?!? Of course they are, why would you want those at your annual sold out fan festival.

At the end of the day I picked up some of the same programs even though I had most, $2.50 each was too good to pass up. I was also able to score a #26 road batting helmet from the foundation, Don Kelly road BP jersey from Marc that actually rang up at $25 compared to the $35 that was posted. I then drove the 20 miles to Hockeytown Authentics and picked up Carlos Guillen’s JRD jersey from 2010 that was MLB authenticated and has some nice dirt stains.

I took the family so we only hit the kids only autograph line but overall despite the cold we had a great time.

Dach0sen0ne
01-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Russ, Happen to notice what JRD jerseys they had at Hockeytown?

russyurk
01-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Russ, Happen to notice what JRD jerseys they had at Hockeytown?

They had several from last year all at $150. Guillen was the biggest name and he did play in the game which is the only way I will buy a special game jersey. They had a couple others that also played in the game but were lower end names, possibly Everett & Bonine. Most, maybe all, were MLB authenticated.

mlupo
01-25-2011, 01:11 PM
I had a good time at Tigerfest, but as far as what I walked away with, this was my worst year. Like many of you already said the authentics tent and foundation tents were both pretty picked over and what they had either wasn't that great or the price didn't blow me away. They did have GU bases for I believe $100 which was pretty good, but I didn't really NEED another. Now I mostly go for the autographs, any GU is just a bonus, but I was in line outside at 10am and I stayed till around 4:45 and this is what I ended up with:

Jacob Turner - SS romlb
Will Rhymes - SS romlb

Tigers mini helmet with the following autos:

Gene Lamont
Rafael Belliard

Robbie Weinhardt
Tom Brookens
Danny Worth
Phil Coke

I was not happy with the pairings they had this year, I know most people did well, but they didn't do a very good job of keeping a star or semi-star to go along with the coaches and prospects. After a 2 hour wait in line I get Lamont, Belliard, Weinhardt, and I'm guessing Turner was the "star" of that pairing. My next like produced ONLY former player/current coach Tom Brookens.

All in all I did have a good time and I'll be back again next year.

russyurk
01-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Not to continue rehashing the weekend but what is also disappointing is that Marc sent out a huge 9-tab spreadsheet today that he has in inventory and some of it wasn’t available on Saturday. Nothing huge but locker name plates, some jerseys, etc. I live out of state so to me, if I can pick something up without paying for shipping that’s a bonus.