PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Lou Lampson Authenticated jersey... Your thoughts on its' legitimacy?

AutographAddiction
12-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Hello everyone,

There is a jersey on eBay that I really want- if it's a real game-used gamer.

I'm somewhat new to collecting but I already know to never trust Lou Lamson COA. Of course there are both good and bad items with a Lampson COA but you never know. At least I don't.

What are your thoughts on this jersey?

Thanks you!

AutographAddiction
12-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Link didn't work the first time.

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290508222482&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks again.

sox83cubs84
12-08-2010, 08:49 PM
I think Lou is OK on this one.

Dave Miedema

AutographAddiction
12-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Lou got one right?

AWA85
12-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I do not collect NBA items, but what is with the price tag being so low? Felton is a nice player, good luck with the jersey!

AutographAddiction
12-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Maybe people are noticing something wrong with the jersey I am not... Or people are just waiting til the last minute of bidding!

I guess Lou's reputation has scared some people off of this one, not sure...

sox83cubs84
12-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Maybe people are noticing something wrong with the jersey I am not... Or people are just waiting til the last minute of bidding!

I guess Lou's reputation has scared some people off of this one, not sure...

I'll go with door #3.

Dave M.

both-teams-played-hard
12-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Lou Lampson has forgot more about jerseys than most of us will ever know. But, he has made many mistakes that make the basis for his bad reputation. He has tried to be an expert in every sport, in every era. A bonafide jersey authenticates itself. He gets many things right. In my opinion, he has taken on folk-hero status. Somewhat like a riddle wrapped in an enigma. Please don't forget an LOA sells for 2 and a half cents at Kinko's.

Is this Felton jersey for real? Who the Hell knows? Isn't there a business in the Midwest that sells custom NBA jerseys for any size, just like the ballers wear?
No matter, I bet this shirt sells for $200+

Folks are waiting 'til the last second and have their eSnipes set.

otismalibu
12-10-2010, 01:29 PM
He has tried to be an expert in every sport, in every era.

And I think we all know the rea$on$ for making this attempt.

sox83cubs84
12-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Felton jersey is at $106 with an hour or so left.

Dave Miedema

CollectGU
12-10-2010, 10:48 PM
I'll go with door #3.

Dave M.

Dave,

I'm going to echo PTBH on this. No offense and I'm not here to defend Lou, but you attack him every chance you get and you know very well he knows his stuff and some sports better than you do. Do you know him and have any history with him in the past. I'm curious, have you ever sat with him and talked jerseys? He probably sold his soul for the almighty $, but there is no denying he is very knowledgeable. He's forgotten more than most of us will ever know.

Dave

sox83cubs84
12-11-2010, 01:49 AM
Dave,

I'm going to echo PTBH on this. No offense and I'm not here to defend Lou, but you attack him every chance you get and you know very well he knows his stuff and some sports better than you do. Do you know him and have any history with him in the past. I'm curious, have you ever sat with him and talked jerseys? He probably sold his soul for the almighty $, but there is no denying he is very knowledgeable. He's forgotten more than most of us will ever know.

Dave

This doesn't cover it all, but I know of too many times during my days at MEARS that MEARS had rejected a jersey for often obvious reasons, and, presto, the item is submitted by the owner to Lou or one of the auction houses he works with and, voila, it suddenly has a LOA!

I agree that Lou has knowledge in a lot of areas, but all the knowledge in the world doesn't cover the lack of credibility that comes with having "sold his soul for the almighty dollar."

There have been items I've been asked to look at in the last year that I've recused myself from because I don't feel like my knowledge is sufficient enough in those areas to be able to offer a valid assessment of the item...bats, hockey sweaters, and football helmets are three such genres.
It doesn't seem that Lou has the same trepidation for stepping out of his comfort zone.

And, yes, I've talked to Lou (or tried to) about game-used items. I grow weary of it quickly because his answers seem akin to reading the IRS tax code.

I don't dislike Lou...I know he has an outstanding collection and has been around for decades...but pumping out letters for a few extra dollars with the result being more documented errors than any other game-used authenticator, and not just sticking with what you know, doesn't strike me as the way to go.

Dave Miedema

both-teams-played-hard
12-11-2010, 02:49 AM
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1782/loupitfall.gif