PDA

View Full Version : yankees on the verge of signing Lee

Fnazxc0114
12-09-2010, 09:30 PM
If they sign him for 7 plus years i say good for Lee. I hope the rangers dont get stupid and sign him for more than 5 years. Here in about 3-4 more years the yankees are going to need a bunch of tennis balls to put on the legs of their walkers.

legaleagle92481
12-09-2010, 09:47 PM
If they sign him for 7 plus years i say good for Lee. I hope the rangers dont get stupid and sign him for more than 5 years. Here in about 3-4 more years the yankees are going to need a bunch of tennis balls to put on the legs of their walkers.

If you guys get Grienke you are so much better off. Lee is not nearly as good as his rep, he is 32 and he has an injury history. For such an "amazing" post season pitcher he has yet to win a single World Series and this year his Game 1 performance put Texas in the whole from the get go and in Game 7 he was outpitched as well. In reality this guy is maybe the 10th best pitcher in baseball after in any order:

Felix
Wainwright
Halladay
Sabathia
Lester
Linecum
Josh Johnson
Carpenter
Ubaldo

Fnazxc0114
12-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Call me crazy but i hope the rangers dont pick up anyone and make a strong run in 12. I know prospects dont win penants but read baseball america said the people we would have to trade for greinke would take us from a top 3 farm system to about 20th so i dont know if he would be worth it. Lee didnt get the rangers to the playoffs last year, and with nobody in our division getting better i think we will be fine.

yanks12025
12-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Lee could still sign somewhere else. And if the rangers did get him, i'm sure you would change your mind and be all excited about it. I'm sorry the yankees are good almost every year, so in return they can never get low draft picks.

Fnazxc0114
12-10-2010, 02:03 AM
if the rangers get lee for more than 5 years i wont be excited. In my mind he chocked in the WS last year. The rangers have done just fine growing from within and trades. As far as being sorry for the yankees not getting high draft picks its no problem. They still get first and second round pics. A lot of the time the best pics are taken late through good scouting, which is something cashman would know nothing about. Cashman is the most overated gm in baseball. The pirates or royals gm could do his job, and be successful.

legaleagle92481
12-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Call me crazy but i hope the rangers dont pick up anyone and make a strong run in 12. I know prospects dont win penants but read baseball america said the people we would have to trade for greinke would take us from a top 3 farm system to about 20th so i dont know if he would be worth it. Lee didnt get the rangers to the playoffs last year, and with nobody in our division getting better i think we will be fine.

The idea of hoarding prospects is flawed. Often the most value these guys will ever have is as prospects and once they make the majors its a free fall from there (i.e. Brandon Wood, Fernando Martinez, Alex Gordon). A farm system should be more than the two or three prospects it would take to land a star. Look at the Red Sox, every few years they trade top prospects for stars but yet still manage to produce quality major leaguers from their farm system. Yes, at times they give up a future star but that is just the cost of doing business and the potential payoff is worth it. Ask Theo Epstein if he would rather have his 2007 World Series Ring or Hanley Ramirez. The teams that hoard prospects on the other hand end up like the Angels stuck with the Brandon Woods of the world and a notch behind the truly elite teams year in and year out. If the Rangers lose Lee someone has to lead that rotation, none of those other guys is a number one starter or on an elite team even a number two, they have maybe four guys who are solid third starter types. They could still win that sad division they play in but that rotation does not beat the Red Sox, Yankees or White Sox when it counts.

cjclong
12-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Legaleagle, what do you mean Lee has never "won a world series." He won the two game he pitched against the Yankees in 2009. I don't know any pitcher who has "won a world series" although I know a number who have pitched on teams that won the series. Lee has pitched one bad game in the playoffs and series, the first game this year, the Giants ace was equally bad, the Giants bullpen just did better for him. In the other loss giving up a single 3 run home run in 8 innings insn't normally considered bad pitching. If the Rangers had walked the number 8 hitter with two out and gone against number 9 as they probably should have then even those runs likely do not happen.

legaleagle92481
12-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Legaleagle, what do you mean Lee has never "won a world series." He won the two game he pitched against the Yankees in 2009. I don't know any pitcher who has "won a world series" although I know a number who have pitched on teams that won the series. Lee has pitched one bad game in the playoffs and series, the first game this year, the Giants ace was equally bad, the Giants bullpen just did better for him. In the other loss giving up a single 3 run home run in 8 innings insn't normally considered bad pitching. If the Rangers had walked the number 8 hitter with two out and gone against number 9 as they probably should have then even those runs likely do not happen.

I meant his team has never won a World Series title. He has a 2-2 record and a 4.55 ERA in the Series. Bob Gibson he is not.

yankees506
12-10-2010, 02:10 PM
I dont want him, someone reminds me of carl pavano, this deal will blow up in our faces

Dach0sen0ne
12-10-2010, 03:49 PM
I dont want him, someone reminds me of carl pavano, this deal will blow up in our faces

I agree!!!!!!!

Fnazxc0114
12-10-2010, 03:50 PM
i dont want him either, atleast for the kind of years he will sign for. Legal you make a good point about depleting the farm. Daniels is the best GM in baseball and i have no doubts he could build it back if he sold the farm.

LastingsMilledge85
12-10-2010, 04:58 PM
i dont want him either, atleast for the kind of years he will sign for. Legal you make a good point about depleting the farm. Daniels is the best GM in baseball and i have no doubts he could build it back if he sold the farm.

You don't want him???? Lol. All during the post season you kept saying Lee will never sign in NY and will stay a Ranger and you were at the point of drooling over him. Seven years is steep for him, but you really changed your tune over the past few weeks. I'm not trying to be an instigator. ;)

xpress34
12-10-2010, 05:36 PM
I was all for Lee during the Post Season as well, but once the Yankees went to 7 years, I was hoping the Rangers would drop out and pursue Greinke.

I like Lee, but wouldn't take a 7 year flyer on him... in fact I would be apprehensive about even going 6 years.

Just my .02

- Smitty

xpress34
12-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Josh -

I sent you a PM!!!

- Smitty

LastingsMilledge85
12-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I was all for Lee during the Post Season as well, but once the Yankees went to 7 years, I was hoping the Rangers would drop out and pursue Greinke.

I like Lee, but wouldn't take a 7 year flyer on him... in fact I would be apprehensive about even going 6 years.

Just my .02

- Smitty

Couldn't agree more because of his age, but he was a late-bloomer so hopefully, for the signing team, he is able to be Jamie Moyer-esque.

Fnazxc0114
12-10-2010, 10:38 PM
I was excited after the ALCS. If Lee signs with the rangers the only thing that would excite me about it now is that he did it to spite the yankees. Lastings if you rooted for a winner you would know that its easy to get caught up in the moment. If the rangers could get him for 5 it would be great, anything more realy isnt exciting because odds are after the next 3-4 years it will all be downhill in his career.

You don't want him???? Lol. All during the post season you kept saying Lee will never sign in NY and will stay a Ranger and you were at the point of drooling over him. Seven years is steep for him, but you really changed your tune over the past few weeks. I'm not trying to be an instigator. ;)

Fnazxc0114
12-10-2010, 10:39 PM
I got it i have everything packaged ready to go. I have finals next week and should be able to send out in the morning.

Josh -

I sent you a PM!!!

- Smitty

CollectGU
12-11-2010, 01:18 AM

You and Express are amusing. Go back and read your posts. You both said you wanted Lee to stay, he is all about more than the money, the fact that he went to the WS with the Rangers will mean something, and then poof the guy has literally only one foot out of the door and your whole tone changes! Sour Grapes me thinks.....

xpress34
12-11-2010, 01:40 AM
You and Express are amusing. Go back and read your posts. You both said you wanted Lee to stay, he is all about more than the money, the fact that he went to the WS with the Rangers will mean something, and then poof the guy has literally only one foot out of the door and your whole tone changes! Sour Grapes me thinks.....

I did say I wanted him to stay - and if you read further down in this post, I even reiterated that - but, I never said I wanted him to stay at any cost.

I was thinking at his age 5 years with maybe an option for a 6th was a good fit. The money isn't the issue for me, the YEARS are - and I didn't say that he IS about more than money - I said I HOPED he was about more than money, so please don't go sticking words in my mouth.

But when the Yankees offered 7 years, I didn't change my tune that I wish he would sign with the Rangers, but it did make me think thats too many years and I would rather the Rangers spent more wisely on youth at that point, so don't go making it sound like I said good riddance or anything like that because I did not.

- Smitty

Fnazxc0114
12-11-2010, 01:55 AM
No sour grapes at all. Why would any team in the league want a 32 year old pitcher for more than 6 years. If they could sign him for 4 maybe 5 yrs id say pay him whatever he wants. There is no way he will give any team 22 plus million a year of production past the age of 36.

jobathenut
12-11-2010, 02:09 AM
As a true yankees fan i just have understood the desire that have to sign this guy.I just don't think he is worth it.We won a world series without him.We (i mean the yankees) don't need him.I think the money would be better spent getting our bullpen in order.And as i always wanted,to sign adam dunn.I think the guy would look great in pinstripes.I was hoping that the rangers would come in and make a offer to keep lee.But sounds like the yankees are willing to give everything and the kitchen sink to this guy.And it will be thier only move this off season.They disrespect jeter but show this guy show much of it.I just don;t understand the ownership sometimes on that team.

Fnazxc0114
12-11-2010, 03:38 AM
Lee met with the asst gm and one of the multiple billionaire investors that are behind the rangers. I bet they make a strong offer, but cant see giving him the amount of years he is asking for.