PDA

View Full Version : Ebay...auctions ending early

Mat2786@aol.com
12-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Anyone else on here get really excited about a game used item being on ebay. Watching it, figuring when its gonna end and how much you can spend and then ready to over pay for an item, only to check later on and find out that it has ended early, it happened to me twice this week. I mean I dont know for sure I was going to get the item but I was sure going to try. I just think its rediculous and if i was a seller and someone offered me a lot of money, wouldnt that tell you this is a hot item and then you might want to let the auction finish out. I think ebay should start charging people a fee of 100.00 dollars to end an item early, this way most people wont just ended an auction.

Matt

cigarman44
12-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Anyone else on here get really excited about a game used item being on ebay. Watching it, figuring when its gonna end and how much you can spend and then ready to over pay for an item, only to check later on and find out that it has ended early, it happened to me twice this week. I mean I dont know for sure I was going to get the item but I was sure going to try. I just think its rediculous and if i was a seller and someone offered me a lot of money, wouldnt that tell you this is a hot item and then you might want to let the auction finish out. I think ebay should start charging people a fee of 100.00 dollars to end an item early, this way most people wont just ended an auction.

Matt

It's within ebay rules that you can end an auction early as long as there is more than 12 hours left, so I doubt they are gonna charge a 100 penalty. If I am interested in an item I usually email the seller and tell them if they get any outside offers at least let me make a counteroffer. I actually offered a guy a good price on an item recently and he decided to let the auction run its course. I won it for 300.00 less than what I offered him. That's why I only run Buy It Now with best offer. That way I get a price I can live with.

Vintagedeputy
12-16-2010, 11:38 AM
I love it when I can get someone to end an auction early and sell directly to me.

I hate it when I'm bidding or setting a snipe bid and the auction ends early.

I'm just conflicted.........

legaleagle92481
12-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Its within the rules and people don't always end auctions because of an outside sale. Sometimes they have second thoughts about selling the item or it is well below what they paid for it or hope to make off it so they decide to pull it. Yeah you can argue reserves, higher starting price, etc. but at that point should haves don't matter. Other times you get an offer you can't refuse so to speak.

3arod13
12-17-2010, 09:22 AM
I love it when I can get someone to end an auction early and sell directly to me.

I hate it when I'm bidding or setting a snipe bid and the auction ends early.

I'm just conflicted.........

+1 :D

NEFAN
12-23-2010, 01:54 PM
I've had people offer 5 - 10 times what I was planning on getting, hard to say no to that.

lakeerie92
12-23-2010, 03:14 PM
To me a 7 day auction is too long to wait. Most of the time when an auction is listed for 7 days it sits for a couple of days with minimal activity. Rather than wait 7 days to end I always send an offer for the seller to pull the auction. Most of the time they get an inflated since of worth from it and let the auction run and I get it for less. Other times they end it and I get the item. I don't care what the item could go for when I list an item. I have a set price in my head I want for it and if someone offers that price or more I end the auction. I am just really impatient and hate waiting to see if I will win an item I really want. There should be some reward for checking newly listed items 10 times a day.

cohibasmoker
12-24-2010, 05:06 PM
10 days ago I ended several auctions early not because I was offered a "off-eBay" price but because I had to make a unscheduled trip. The auctions would have ended while I was away so I felt it was better to end the auctions. When I got home, I re-listed most of them.

With that said, do I end auctions early? Sometimes. If the right price comes along OR I'm contacted by someone I've done business with before, I'll end the auction. With more and more eBay members NOT paying, it's sometimes better to take what someone is offering or helping out a repeat customer, rather than taking a chance on getting stiffed by a non-paying eBay member.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net