PDA

View Full Version : Great pitcher/patriot dead at age 92.

sox83cubs84
12-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Bob Feller, Hall of Famer, war hero, and baseball ambassador, has died from complications relating to leukemia.

The former Indians legend was active well into his 90s, appearing at baseball functios in the early part of the 2010 season before his fading health caught up to him.

He was the only man to ever throw an Opening Day no-hitter (1941 vs. Chicago), and was the premier strikeout pitcher of his era. He was a member of two pennant-winning Indians teams, 1948 (when the Tribe won it all) and 1954.

A truly great American, he will be missed. RIP, Rapid Robert.

Dave Miedema

both-teams-played-hard
12-15-2010, 10:52 PM
I met Mr. Feller several times when I was a kid, and a few more when I was an adult. It was hard to believe that this highly approachable gentleman was such a historical figure.

Rest in peace.
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/199/feller.jpg

dwn1955
12-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Nothing more really need be said, a true gentleman and great American!!

RIP Mr. Feller

mlbforeverhomer
12-15-2010, 11:44 PM
RIP Bob. Thank you for your service, and your kindess over the years. You will be missed!!!

legaleagle92481
12-16-2010, 12:26 AM
I met Bob at a card show about 15 years ago, he was such a great guy. he had a photograph with him of Babe Ruth leaning on his (Bob's) bat during the Babe's farwell speech at Yankee Stadium. The Babe used said bat as a cane because he was too weak from his terminal illness to stand on his own while he spoke. I found it amazing that this great pitcher would be showing this photo to fans and explaining it to them as Bob did. For someone who was so generous with his signature he gave out some of the clearest, most legibile signatures of any athlete I have ever seen. From a distance there was no doubt whose name graced whatever he signed. He also was an amazing pitcher who may have been discussed as the best ever if he did not miss time to serve in the military. He had Strasburg stuff but was the rare phemon who lived up to and exceeded his billing. He was the last of the icons who played in the 40s AND 50s. He will be missed but never forgotten.

coxfan
12-16-2010, 07:24 AM
In his autobiography, he said he was on his way to sign his Indian's contract, when he heard about Pearl Harbor on the radio. When he arrived, he told the club he was more needed in the Navy, and promptly enlisted. He didn't pitch again until 1945.

Had he not served, he would have won around 350 games. He was 25-13 his last season before joining the Navy.

cjclong
12-16-2010, 09:27 AM
My wife and I were going through a line at a show where Feller was signing. I had him autograph a book on pitching he had written and told him I learned to throw a slider from reading his book We mentioned his service in World War Two and he visited with us about it for several minutes. He was proud of his service and rightfully so. He could not have been more pleasant to us and we appreciated it.

emann
12-16-2010, 11:28 AM
He actually was in uniform and tossed a couple balls during the 1st Baseball Hall of Fame Classic (basically an old timers game) in 2009. Got to see him, he got a huge ovation from the crowd and spoke a little about how fortunate he felt to be a Hall of Famer for most of his life. He also said he and his wife had driven from their home in Ohio to Cooperstown, all this energy still in his 90's.

Seemed like a genuinely nice man in addition to being a legendary pitcher.

RIP.

russyurk
12-16-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm one of the lucky ones on this board that works in sports and when I was completing grad school I interned at the marketing office of the Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association when it was in Pittsburgh. We had a program with Campbell's and needed to have Mr. Feller sign a few hundred lithographs. When looking for volunteers I jumped at the opportunity.

We arrived at his home in the Cleveland suburbs late in the afternoon, set up and began the process. It was clear that he was a little tired and was not the very friendly. We made small talk sitting around his kitchen table and went about our work. We returned the next morning to complete the signing and after a good night’s sleep he was a new man. He was much more talkative and fun to be around. We talked baseball of course but the conversation turned to his service in the Navy. At one point he took us over to a large wall-size world map and he showed us the various travels he made while aboard the USS Alabama. After wrapping up he was off to another appearance but he told his wife Anne show us around the house. She took us everywhere including his private office. He had a lot of memorabilia but my favorite piece was a signed baseball by Ruth and Gehrig that he got when they were barnstorming through Iowa during his childhood. The really cool part was that Bob added his own signature, so it had Ruth, Gehrig and a ten year old "Robert Feller". I guess it was a once in a lifetime experience to spend that kind of private time with a true baseball great. RIP #19.

earlywynnfan
12-16-2010, 09:50 PM
My fave Feller memory shows his crotchety side. He did an auto signing one time, for free. There was quite a long line considering everyone has a Bob Feller autograph. Well, just in front of me, a dealer opens his bag and puts 2 dozen new balls on the table. Bob looks at him, scribbles a sig on one ball, slams it in the box, and loudly says "Now get the F*** out of here!!" The whole place erupted into cheers. To this day, whenever I see that dealer, I just laugh inside.

He will be missed.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

PS: I don't think Stan Musial would appreciate hearing that the last of the 1940's-50's icons just passed!

sox83cubs84
12-16-2010, 11:49 PM
Yeah, Feller could be crotchety when the moment called for it. He signed at a booth at the Cubs Convention in 2009. Two buddies of mine and Feller were discussing the then-recent election, and Feller offered his opinions of the current POTUS (very similar to mine).:D Two Generation X types overheard the conversation and decided to offer their favorable thoughts on Obama...Feller made a few less-than-sociable comments and dismissed the pair with a wave of his hand.

Dave Miedema

both-teams-played-hard
12-17-2010, 01:44 AM
Yeah, Feller could be crotchety when the moment called for it. He signed at a booth at the Cubs Convention in 2009. Two buddies of mine and Feller were discussing the then-recent election, and Feller offered his opinions of the current POTUS (very similar to mine).:D Two Generation X types overheard the conversation and decided to offer their favorable thoughts on Obama...Feller made a few less-than-sociable comments and dismissed the pair with a wave of his hand.

Dave Miedema
Dave
C'mon brother. We get it. You don't like the President. You have great respect for everyone who agrees with you. I don't care about anyone's political views. That includes you and Bullet Bob (God rest his soul).

otismalibu
12-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Dave
C'mon brother. We get it. You don't like the President. You have great respect for everyone who agrees with you

+1

ziggy
12-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Great pitcher, but not a nice guy.