PDA

View Full Version : Referee marks on NCAA football?

mikey68
12-23-2010, 06:46 PM
I just received a couple of NCAA game used footballs from the AFCA auction and wanted to ask a question. Does anyone know what the referee marks on a college gameball mean? I've got a Purdue ball with a blue "X" on the white stripe and a Tulane ball with a black "P" on the white stripe. I did find some pics of the Purdue/Ball State game that show the QB and the RB using a football with that "X" on it in the same spot. It seems kinda random though, since I have a UAB one from a couple of years ago and it just has a blue line on the laces. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, I can post pics if anyone wants to see 'em. Many thanks!

UGA-1
12-23-2010, 07:15 PM
I knew being a highschool coach would pay off on this site!!! I have your answer my friend. One of my pregame duties is to "check in" the gameballs. We usually let our QB dig through the availiable balls we have separated for the game. Then a referee will ask to inspect the balls for proper inflation,shape, and just make sure the balls are legal for play. Once they have been inspected, they are marked by the referee so that only those balls are allowed in play during the game.
Hope this answers your question!

John

mikey68
12-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Hey John (UGA-1), that is an awesome explanation. Thanks for answering and that helps tremendously!

Mike

Jayworld
12-25-2010, 04:51 PM
John's answer is spot on. In a 7-man NCAA officiating crew, the back judge used to have the responsibility of checking all game balls for both teams prior to the game (supplied to the officials dressing room by teach team prior to the game). The back judge would test air pressure, etc., and then write unique marks on the ball to designate them as "okay." If a ball appeared in the game that did not have his marks, they were not used.