PDA

View Full Version : Left Field Collectibles

yanks12025
08-13-2006, 09:38 AM
I need some help about left field collectibles. I was looking at all there old bats and most of them are side written. That means they were used by the players right. But then the bats are missing all there H & B labels or the spalding ones or any labels. there just plain with the side written note. So are they used or store models and if they are game used how much of the value does that take away from them.

sportscentury
08-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Yanks,

In addition to getting feedback here on the forum, I would suggest that you contact Art Jaffe at Left Field Collectibles. He has great knowledge of bats and I'm sure would be happy to talk with you about the bats that interest you. If I remember correctly, Left Field/Jaffe purchased an enormous lot of bats straight from the Louisville vault.

I hope this helps.
Reid

MSpecht
08-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Hi--

Reid is exactly correct...Art is a great guy and one of the most informed persons out there on labeling dates of vintage and pre-model number bats and post model numbered bats. He is always willing to accept phone calls and respond to any question.

What you are describing are bats that have been made in response to a player's request, that are then indexed and vaulted, to be used as models for future orders of that same bat. The manufacture date of many of these label-less bats can be found in individual player's records. Here's an example, using a bat I got from Art about six months ago:

The bat I was interested in was an unlabeled bat with the numbrers C175 stamped in the knob and also on the very bottom of the barrel. There was side-writing that said C175 model Made, and additional side-writing that was wornand pretty unreadable. The bat was said to be an Andy Carey model.

In looking at Andy Carey's records, I found an entry on 4/19/1951 which read "New Model Made off of D89- His C175 fine grain square end also brown ends 34.5" 2-36 4-35 A6"

Translated, this notation means that Andy Carey ordered a bat similar to a Model D89 which was already an established model, with one or more modifications that he wanted, including a squared end. An index, or prototype, bat was made to his specifications and given the model number C175, which means that, at the time, it was the 175th different model made to the specifications of a player whose last name began with the letter C. On 4/19/51 six C175 bats were shipped to Andy Carey, two that were 34.5"/36 oz, and 4 that were 34.5'/35 oz. Those six bats would have the proper labeling for the 1950-1960 label period, and would have Carey's signature on the barrel as he signed an endorsement contract with H & B on 3/26/51.

So what is this bat? This is the bat that was used as the prototype, or indexed bat, for the order shipped 4/19/51 and any future orders of Model C175 bats. It has no labeling, just the markings I described and the model number stamped at both ends. Is it valued more or less than an Andy Carey game used bat ? Probably less, but for Andy Carey fans (or Yankee fans like Jim Caravello) it is highly collectible as the prototype of the second order of bats shipped to Yankee Andy Carey in his Major League career -- actually the only order as he never ordered C175 bats again.

Hope this helps ... a good source of interesting information on the history of Louisville Slugger and the behind-the-scenes working of the factory is a book by Bob Hill entitled Crack of the Bat -- The Louisville Slugger Story, published in 2002. It can usually be found on Amazon for $7.00 to $10.00.

Good Luck

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

staindsox
11-05-2006, 06:48 PM
I've had trouble getting ahold of left field collectibles. I emailed them via their site on the forum two weeks ago about two specific questions regarding a bat or two on their site and have not heard back. I then contacted them via eBay a week ago with the same result, no response. Any ideas? Are they typically slow in responding? Thanks.

Chris

REDS1999
11-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Chris,

I Have Purchased Several Vintage Bats From Art At Leftfield Collectibles Over The Past Several Months And Each Time I Phoned Them. Art Told Me That He Prefers To Deal Directly Over The Phone Instead Of By Email. He Has An Incredible Amount Of Knowledge Regarding The Bats To Share Over The Phone And He Has Always Been Very Receptive To Questions. I Think Their Normal Hours Are 10 Am To 8 Pm And The Number Is On The Website. If Art Is Not There John Is Very Helpful.

Greg

staindsox
11-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Thank you for the great advice!!!