PDA

View Full Version : I am contacting former players for COA's on their G.U.

jake33
12-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Will write more later, but I have been working on this for about a year. There are a few former Buccaneers/Devil Rays that I have game used items of that I have been trying to run down. I finally got in touch with 4 former Bucs to authenticate game used items of theirs. to be short, it has been a thrill.... Have a few interesting stories to tell when I get more time. (also am writing about this in more depth for my game used collecting book that I am in the process of creating).

frikativ54
12-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Interesting idea. Can you always be sure that a player can identify which items he has used in a game? We've seen players inscribing game used, even if the items aren't. Don't mean to burst your bubble. Just curious how players' opinions are foolproof.

ziggy
12-28-2010, 04:23 PM
For a few bucks they will sign anything you want them to sign :D It will probably help resale value but most of these guys have no idea what they used or wore

nycpropain
12-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Not sure how a player would ID their jersey, hell even mantle screwed up on his saying that one was from his rookie season. After all that it wound up faker than fake.

sox83cubs84
12-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Players' recollections of what they wore are all over the map. On one hand you have Bruce Bochte, who told a buddy of mine that the pullover Angels jersey of his that he had was a fake, beacuse "we wore button-down jerseys when I was there." The Angels stopped using buttondowns after 1972, and only resumed long after Bochte left the team.

On the other hand, there's Duke Snider, who, upon the Giants, was given jerseys of preseason cuts to try on to wear. He even remembers whose jerseys he finally settled on (P Bob Garibaldi).

The player's memories MAY be accurate, but it's not an automatic, by any means.

Dave Miedema

LWMM
12-28-2010, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't say that a player's word should be the final one, but it certainly can't hurt. Players may remember their size or some distinguishing characteristics, for example, which coupled with other research could help to determine whether an item is authentic.

A lot of the posts in this thread see the issue as black and white. Players' input should not be taken at face, as said, but neither should it be rejected outright. Instead, it should be treated just like any other form of research: find out what you can, then take all the information that you have and weigh it.

nycpropain
12-29-2010, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't say that a player's word should be the final one, but it certainly can't hurt. Players may remember their size or some distinguishing characteristics, for example, which coupled with other research could help to determine whether an item is authentic.

A lot of the posts in this thread see the issue as black and white. Players' input should not be taken at face, as said, but neither should it be rejected outright. Instead, it should be treated just like any other form of research: find out what you can, then take all the information that you have and weigh it.

I agree, but the op is talking about having players authenticate jerseys. I am sorry but unless the player understands different fabrics and when they where used his opinion is about "coa" worthy as someone who has no clue what they are talking about. The reason counterfeits are made are to deceive and look authentic, so yes having a few things like +2 length would be nice its hardly enough to issue a coa once it has left the players hands.

If I where to hand a player a Team issued or pro cut jersey there is no way unless the player marked his GU to tell if it was authentic. Then if he marks his jersey guess who duplicate this? You bet ya.

jake33
12-29-2010, 04:06 PM
I am not using it for my purpose of authentication. I do my own research before purchasing from any seller or auction sight. I will go to the extreme of watching a particular game backwards and in slow motion to find game use or even nameplate linement. The 4 jerseys I have used for the project (All NFL) that the players are signing the coa, I have photomatches that I put on the coa, not really for my use, but if I am ever forced to sell them, it will greatly help.

Also, the players were far from big name guys and all were more than willing to do it. I did up the letter with a self addressed stamped envelope, then laminated the COA.

I am not sure how well this woulld work with baseball jerseys though. 2 years ago, i did mail former Rays pitcher Doug Creek a game use dhat I had of his and had him autograph it. But a game used MLB jersey would be hard to line up.

jake33
12-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Actually, come to think of it I had Rays 09 all star ben zobrist autograph a game used batting helmet (W/ team LOA, photo match, mlb hologram) at a game vs. the white sox.

He has family near Chicago and is always willing to sign a lot before the game, so i brought the batting helmet that he already autographed and i wanted him to inscribe "2009 season game used" on the helmet. He first questioned me and said "are you SURE I used this?" I said yes and he inspected it over for about a minute and then signed it. I asked him if there was any issues and he said the helmet was good, but he certainly had me nervous for a bit since the helmet was only worn in 1 game and it is not pounded with use.

nycpropain
12-29-2010, 07:13 PM
I am not using it for my purpose of authentication.

I am not sure how to word this with out coming off as a jerk but you do know the letter A in LOA is authenticity right?

halzeus
12-29-2010, 07:35 PM
There was a similar questions asked about a year ago.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=24858&highlight=letter

mlbforeverhomer
12-29-2010, 07:42 PM
I rely on Getty, a few other websites, and MLB TV to tell me "Yes I wore this jersey/hat or used this bat". Not a very reliable way of finger printing your items in my book but it is creative.

jake33
12-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Yes, i am not not using it for authentication. I have already done that in my mind and research, but this certainly would not HURT the resale value at all, since none of the players who have done this have done it before i.e. a guy who played in the nfl for 20 games....

more of a display item to go with the jersey, i agree since they signed sheet of paper does not make it any more authentic in my mind.

Mark17
12-29-2010, 11:42 PM
I've gotten about a half dozen 1960s Twins bats signed, and I always use the opportunity to ask the player if it's genuine. I've gotten some great responses, like when Johnny Goryl told me his 61-64 bat was used in 1963, that it was the same model Earl Battey used and he liked it so he got some for himself.

I figure with bats, there's a good chance a player will remember his model number. In the case of Rich Rollins, he not only remembered the model number, he explained why it was block letter (he had a contract with Adirondack) and he explained the "doctoring" on the bat, and how he used to prepare other bats for use (as friend and former teammate Bernie Allen laughed, "This guy had a workshop to fix up his bats!")

I think putting GU items back in the hands of the players is a great part of the hobby. But, just as I couldn't authenticate the jersey I wore in high school, the players may or may not remember much about their old stuff. Sure is fun though, when they do!

Good luck,
Mark

jake33
01-10-2011, 03:46 PM
I got in touch with former buccaneer free safety from USC david gibson (and a couple other former bucs) mailed them pics of their game used jersey and sent a card for him to autograph. Super nice guy! Wrote back fast and mailed back quick too, made the homemade COA just for display.

really a thrill as a fan, (i did remove the autograph on the back of the jersey sine it was beginning to bleed)

Not that i am using this to authenticate the jersey, but thought it was kind of neat to do. Will post jacques Green and Errict Rhett's later.

jake33
01-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Pretty thrilling to get this in the mail. Total investment in doing this was only $2.53 for shipping and for buying David's only rookie card 2000 Leaf Limited /1500.

going tonight to get the COA laminated at office max for $1.05

nycpropain
01-10-2011, 04:46 PM
I am sorry but thats exactly what its doing is authenticating it, or at least giving the illusion of it.

Sorry but if you tomorrow are no longer with us and someone goes to sell this collection do you think they will know that the player never seen let even touched the jersey? How would a player know from 2 little pictures if its theirs? While nice as its in your collection now, in 25 years its could be a problem for someone else possibly in your family.

Personally I dont see the point as its only in your collection and if you know its legit why do you need a piece of paper from a guy who didnt even see nor touch the jersey?

jake33
01-10-2011, 05:57 PM
He did sign the jersey several years ago, i sent him 20 pics via email. not 2, the coa was only 2 photos.

If anyone wants to prove that it is not legit game used jersey, go ahead. I am using the COA paperwork for display, but yes when I die this Jersey will still go in someone elses hands and probably the COA. I certainly do not think it in anyway hurts the value of the jersey.

The letter may "authenticate" it for someone else, that is their choice to accept it. It is not a legal document at all, and I do not think this decrease the value of a $100 game used jersey.

jake33
01-10-2011, 05:59 PM
I got a $2.53 display and discussion piece with a story.

I am not sure how this causes a problem, if someone doesn't like the COA, they can toss it then.

jake33
01-10-2011, 08:48 PM
I certainly do not think there is anyway I lowered the value of the jersey (paid $100 for it), it is not like I have a $500 jersey and did this hoping that the jersey becomes a $900 jersey w/ the coa.

My cousin currenty plays for a BIG TEN school in the midwest and he gave me one of his 2010 game used jerseys in person and I still had him do a similar COA. If you have the option to do this, I am not sure why you wouldn't.

nycpropain
01-10-2011, 08:55 PM
I am not saying its unauthentic or that you are wrong, I actually agree with most you are saying.

jake33
01-10-2011, 09:32 PM
If anyone is soley relying a sheet of paper to tell you that something authentic, you are in the wrong hobby, regardless of who issues it.

jake33
01-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Jacquez Green 98 rookie jersey and lockerroom nameplate.

images didn't show up too well when i scanned them.

jake33
01-11-2011, 10:03 AM
1 of 2

jake33
01-11-2011, 10:04 AM
2 of 2