PDA

View Full Version : Would you sell to a card company?

sportscentury
08-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Forum members...

Let's say that you are selling a game used item and a card company contacts you to buy it. The company is willing to pay your price and it is understood that the purpose of the purchase is to cut the item up and insert the pieces into sports cards. Do you sell the item to the card company?

Just curious what people's thoughts are on this topic.

Reid

PK
08-13-2006, 04:01 PM
:mad: HELL NO, I hope no one would. jersey would eventually sell to someone who really wants it

ahuff
08-13-2006, 04:07 PM
I know they say everyone has their price, and perhaps if they were offering an unfathomable amount perhaps I would change my mind. However, I would like to believe my passion for the games the items represent is far stronger than market value. I think I would pass unless the companies were going to pay me enough to set my family up financially for many years to come - - -and that ain't gonna happen!

eGameUsed
08-13-2006, 04:24 PM
I have sold 3 items to a major card company before. Both bats were not in a condition that a collector would be willing to buy, nor like to display (ie. missing half the bat or 4 inches of knob). The company was willing to pay more than retail value. Plus, when cut into hundreds of pieces, who knew the bat was not intact. The third item was a pair of pants.

I would rather the companies buy a modern era bat of a player that gets 100+ per yer instead of pre-70s items thatr are one-of-a-kind.

Just my 2-cents!

sportscentury
08-13-2006, 05:15 PM
(from another thread)
Reid,

By the way, if you owned a bat and a card company offered your price to buy it to cut it into little pieces or into a pencil holder, would you sell it?

Joel,

I did sell a game used bat to a card company once. It was one of the most stellar Ripken rookie era bats that I'd ever seen and it was authenticated by Mastronet (back when they were doing authentications). I listed the bat for sale on eBay. A card company won the item on eBay with a remarkable bid. I sold the bat because we had a legal contract of sale ... but I have long regretted ever listing that bat on eBay. I've had three Ripken rookie era gamers that could have been in the Hall of Fame ... and that was one of them. It was a tough sale, to say the least.

Reid

trsent
08-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Joel,

I did sell a game used bat to a card company once. It was one of the most stellar Ripken rookie era bats that I'd ever seen and it was authenticated by Mastronet (back when they were doing authentications). I listed the bat for sale on eBay. A card company won the item on eBay with a remarkable bid. I sold the bat because we had a legal contract of sale ... but I have long regretted ever listing that bat on eBay. I've had three Ripken rookie era gamers that could have been in the Hall of Fame ... and that was one of them. It was a tough sale, to say the least.

Reid

So, now the other two bats are worth more, which is great!

kylehess10
08-13-2006, 09:25 PM
I would definately not sell something game used to a card company. Whether there's still millions left or 1 left the answer would be no no matter what. Card companies need to do something better than to cut up history. Every time I see a jersey or bat card from people like Ruth or Mantle I get so mad. When I was 12 all the way until I was 15, I was a huge collector of game used cards and didn't care if 1 of only 3 Ruth pinstripe jersey left in existance were cut up into 5,000 pieces, but once I stopped collecting the cards and collected the real thing (not cut up) then I started to realize how wrong it is to cut all this stuff up. They should stop the making of game used cards but keep the certified autograph cards. I'm alright with the autograph cards but just like some game used cards, I hate to see autographs from Ruth,Wagner,Mathewson, etc. cut up just like they're game used. It's just sickening to the site but autographs from current players is fine with me. The historic stuff should be left to be in Museums and some private collectors; not cut up and scattered all around the country in little cardboard baseball cards.

Vintagedeputy
08-13-2006, 09:53 PM
I would sell something that was busted to pieces and replacable like a shattered bat of someone like Arod. An intact Arod bat or a shattered Ruth, Cobb etc would never leave my hands.

trsent
08-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Why not take the question from collectors, but to dealers who deal in game used equipment as I believe many of those who have posted replies are not in the business of selling such items.

I would love to hear of experiences from dealers who have turned down business from card companies because of the moral issue being discussed.

NegleyPirate
08-14-2006, 03:07 PM
How do you get in contact with the card company's to sell game used bats,etc.?? I would do it if the bat is really busted up.. It would be kinda cool to know someone has pieces of your bat, enjoying it. Its good for people who can't afford game used bats. PLMK if anyone knows who to contact.
Thanks,
Mike

sylbry
08-14-2006, 03:21 PM
It would be kinda cool to know someone has pieces of your bat, enjoying it.

Maybe that is how the players feel. Or maybe not. Afterall, it is really their bat.

Has anyone on this board ever asked a player what they thought of bat and jersey cards? Do they even care?

kylehess10
08-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Maybe that is how the players feel. Or maybe not. Afterall, it is really their bat.

Has anyone on this board ever asked a player what they thought of bat and jersey cards? Do they even care?

that's a really good question. i wonder the players' intake is on game used cards

trsent
08-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Don't waste your time, here is how it goes:

"Hey Manny, what do you think about them taking your bats and cutting them up and putting them into little pieces on trading cards?"

"What?"

"You know, they take your bat that you used in a game and then gave to your buddy to sell so you don't have to give you buddy money and then he sold your bat to a card company and they shaved off pieces of the bat and put them on a trading card that is now worth $2.50 in the current Beckett. What do you think about that?"

"Cool!"

Or it might go like this...

"Hey Cal, what do you think about them shaving pieces of a bat that you used in a game and attaching them to trading cards?"

"It is a great way for more people to own a piece of history."

Look at all the time I just saved you!

obeyone10
08-15-2006, 01:13 AM
Don't you have to be licensed by MLBPA before selling any items to the card companies??

metsbats
08-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Don't waste your time, here is how it goes:

"Hey Manny, what do you think about them taking your bats and cutting them up and putting them into little pieces on trading cards?"

"What?"

"You know, they take your bat that you used in a game and then gave to your buddy to sell so you don't have to give you buddy money and then he sold your bat to a card company and they shaved off pieces of the bat and put them on a trading card that is now worth $2.50 in the current Beckett. What do you think about that?"

"Cool!"

Or it might go like this...

"Hey Cal, what do you think about them shaving pieces of a bat that you used in a game and attaching them to trading cards?"

"It is a great way for more people to own a piece of history."

Look at all the time I just saved you!

Good Point Joel. But as far as I'm concerned the card companies can cut up as many Manny or Albert Pujols bats they want too. These guys receive/use over 100 bats a year and the market is saturated. I personally don't see paying the iinflated prices for a modern day player when there just so much product out there.

However if we are talking about a rare jersey or bat (ie Mantle or Ruth jersey, clemente bat) then it's a different story.

-David