PDA

View Full Version : What was your Greatest EBAY find??

weimerskirch
08-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Members,

I know it is getting harder and harder to find great game used jerseys and equipment on ebay. I was wondering what members consider their greatest find on ebay. Mine was a 1972 gold Bert Campaneris jersey that a seller had listed in another area, thus having just a few bids. I picked it up for a 1/3 to 1/2 of what they were going for at the time.

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Mark

Swoboda4
08-14-2006, 12:50 AM
Frank Viola Met Jacket, named embroidered on back ,#26 embroidered on sleeve,""Buy it Now" for $99. Bought it fifteen minutes after being put up for bid on Ebay.

topekabob
08-14-2006, 12:54 AM
An early 1980's home game worn SIGNED Billy Ray Bates Portland Trail Blazer jersey for $50. I watched Billy Ray Bates burst on the Blazer scene for a couple of years when I was a kid - and then dramatically disappear - and to get his jersey on ebay like that was amazing to me. I have no idea why it went so low - $50 was the opening bid and no one else bid. Just one of those weird things.

JimCaravello
08-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Great thread! When ebay was in its infancy, you could really find some great deals. It's getting a little harder and harder these days to get really good bargains. Not only are there more collectors on ebay today, but every dealer and auction house is scouring ebay for finds. The good stuff is certainly drying up.............

I have had my share of "great finds" on ebay - but probably the best one is that I found an early 90's Bud Harrelson Mets Home Coaches jersey with great use - with shipping and everything it was no more than $45. Best part about the transaction is the guy I bought it from sent the jersey to me before I paid!! I sold it to a friend of mine at cost and he still has it hanging in his "Mets" den.......

jboosted92
08-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Although not super inexpensive, I got a 1933 Al All star ball signed with Babe Ruth on the sweet spot for around $1600.

The condition of the ball isnt that great at all, but 20+ sigs includiing Gehrig Grove and the Ruth Sig is the best one on it...

I've been offered over 5k already....

metsbats
08-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Randy Neimann game used bat on ebay won it and this lead to another transaction w/ the seller for a Rick Anderson GU bat. These were the last two 86 Mets I needed to complete by collection.

-David

sylbry
08-14-2006, 12:42 PM
My most recent greatest ebay find was a 2005 signed game used Torii Hunter Twins home jersey. The seller had a horrible description and even worse pictures. I emailed the seller if there was anything under the manufacturer tag. The seller responded with "48 52 05" which is the correct code for Hunter 2005 jerseys. Not only that but the seller actually offered me the jersey for a lower price than the opening bid. The seller updated the listing to include a buy it now at a whopping $75.

sylbry
08-14-2006, 12:51 PM
One story I would like to hear about is from a fellow member beni0016. I was watching what appeared to be a K55 Tony Oliva gamer or game issued bat. The seller didn't know what they had. It was offered with a starting price of $19.99 and the description was full of misspellings.

I sent the seller an email asking if they had a buy it now price and was waiting for a reply. I stepped away from the computer for an hour and it sold for a buy it now of $150 to Twins bat expert Andy Benish. Now that was a great buy. Here's hoping you actually receive it Andy. I purchased a Christmas card signed by Rod Carew two days later from the same seller and still have not received it. (This was three weeks ago.) The seller's feedback is less than comforting.

sicollector1954@insightbb.com
08-14-2006, 04:26 PM
My nicest E-bay finds are my 1928-30 Tony Lazzeri game bat for $750.00 and also my 1923-25 George Kelly game bat for $100.00. The seller even paid the shipping on this bat!

33bird
08-14-2006, 05:52 PM
I bought an Adrian Dantley Notre Dame away 1974 game used jersey for 300.00. I then had AD autograph and he verified it was his and a 1974. Sold it on ebay for 1200.00. Thought I did great on it. Then it shows up on American Memorabilia auction and goes for over 4000.00!! Guess I could have done better. The guy on ebay didn't advertise it as game used so I don't think hardly anybody saw it.
Hey, how much would you sell the Billy Ray Dunk Bates jersey for??
Greg

sportscentury
08-14-2006, 10:34 PM
I picked up a Donnie Baseball gamer once that was used by Rickey Henderson. Not only an amazing find because they are two of the best ever, but Rickey always said that Mattingly was his all-time favorite teammate. A beauty of a bat.

Reid

jdr3
08-15-2006, 12:27 PM
I got an early 70s Redskins cold weather sideline cape. The seller didn't have game used or game worn in the title or description, so it received little attention.

topekabob
08-15-2006, 09:56 PM
33 Bird - I can't really imagine selling the Billy Ray Bates jersey unless someone wanted to go four figures or something, which doesn't seem likely. It has great sentimental value to people like me and maybe you who watched him set Portland on fire for about a year and a half.

Billy Ray played basketball at Kentucky State, however his entire academic career was a fraud. When he got to Portland he couldn't read.....he later ended up in the Philippines and after that I completely lost track of him.

TNTtoys
08-18-2006, 02:25 PM
OK... I have to say that this is a great topic... but my greatest finds have not exactly been game-worn. I collect Mets jerseys. I have nearly all home, road and BP variations since the late seventies. I managed to scoop up a brand new Majestic Authentic Collection Mike Piazza home white pinstripe (back when he was on the team) for $26. I added a 1988 Rawlings batting practice jersey (NEW YORK in silver block letters with racing stripes down side/arms) for $24. I also found game worn 1987 and 1991 batting practice jerseys (both game worn) for $45 and $25 respectively.
By the way, I am always looking to add new ones to my collection, and I don't expect knowledgeable collectors/dealers to sell to me at the prices above!!!

Aloving77
08-18-2006, 06:00 PM
I got a Keith Bulluck (LB Titans) autographed Practice Used Jersey for 75 bucks a couple years back.