PDA

View Full Version : Price Guide for Fair Market Value

frikativ54
01-05-2011, 02:01 AM
I thought it would be informative to novices - even possibly worthy of a sticky - for experienced hobbyists to share what they believe fair market value to be for game-used items.

When I was starting off as a collector, I was clueless about what items were worth. Now that I've been around for a few years, I have a general dollar value in mind for what I would pay for certain items.

I believe that this thread could be very beneficial to collectors, so I propose we start it as follows:

/ SUPERSTARS / STARS / MINOR STARS / COMMONS/ PROSPECTS

BAT price range

BATTING GLOVES price range

FIELDER's GLOVE price range

JERSEY price range

HELMET price range

HAT price range

Thanks for anyone willing to give their input.

-Frik

AWA85
01-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Les, love the idea of a market value type thread but I think it would be pretty hard to say what fair market value really is for the majority of the players. We often are willing to overpay to have a certain player or item, so does that make the price market value? One example is Jay Bruce bats, when they first came out during his rookie year many were going for $300 a pop. As he cooled down from the prospect hype, prices dropped tremendously. Bats have been selling on ebay for as low as $120. On the other hand a home run bat just sold for $500 and rookie bats carry a nice price tag somewhere in the middle. One particular Bruce bat I was after I even offered close to $700 and was rejected.

So after all those numbers, which one do you pick as "fair" market value? $115 because that is what ebay sold for a time or two, the $300 going rate that dealers get, or the extreme prices that are seen from time to time? Think it is hard to classify a value when the range is so wide open on what colelctors value at the time.

frikativ54
01-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Les, love the idea of a market value type thread but I think it would be pretty hard to say what fair market value really is for the majority of the players. We often are willing to overpay to have a certain player or item, so does that make the price market value?

I think our mere willingness to "overpay" shows that there is a standard for "market value," something that we adhere to when making decisions about game-used purchases.

One example is Jay Bruce bats, when they first came out during his rookie year many were going for $300 a pop. As he cooled down from the prospect hype, prices dropped tremendously. Bats have been selling on ebay for as low as $120.

This can be explained by the transition of Bruce from top prospect/rookie year hype to common to minor star player value. I don't see this as an argument against having a market value price guide.

On the other hand a home run bat just sold for $500 and rookie bats carry a nice price tag somewhere in the middle. One particular Bruce bat I was after I even offered close to $700 and was rejected.

I guess what I was thinking was not that special home run bat or that first home run game bat. What I am trying to accomplish is to get the average. In other words, what would a regular bat cost, insofar as it is not a unique outlier.

So after all those numbers, which one do you pick as "fair" market value? $115 because that is what ebay sold for a time or two, the $300 going rate that dealers get, or the extreme prices that are seen from time to time? Think it is hard to classify a value when the range is so wide open on what colelctors value at the time.

Fair market value is what you would pay for the average bat of a specific player who fits into a specific category of star. Of course, these values are fluid, and we are all willing to go above or below market value, depending upon the individual circumstances.

But I believe strongly that there is a point at which we can say that some amount is a ripoff. It's because we have a standard of what fair market value is. For example, nobody in his right mind would say that fair value for an average 2004 Jeff Bagwell jersey is $3,000. Now, there are some who would pay $3,000 if it's a Bagwell rookie jersey with a team letter. But I think it that we all operate with standards in mind, and that these comprise "fair market value."

commando
01-05-2011, 10:31 AM
I like the idea, Les, but like other price guides, it would have to be updated on a regular basis. One problem might be when a player's jersey or bat doesn't sell for several years... You'd be looking at a price that might be outdated the next time one of those items become available.

Once again, I like the concept but it would be a real labor of love for several people to keep it running. :)

ziggy
01-05-2011, 10:56 AM
It would probably be easier to put together a price guide for older pieces of equipment ( guys no longer active players).....As for current players would be difficult as the players and their equipment is like a stock. The value can go up and down fairly quickly based on players performance, charisma, supply-demand, etc....

CampWest
01-05-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't know how much Tim updates this, but its something...

http://www.hofbats.com/members/pguide.html

frikativ54
01-05-2011, 11:13 AM
It would probably be easier to put together a price guide for older pieces of equipment ( guys no longer active players).....As for current players would be difficult as the players and their equipment is like a stock. The value can go up and down fairly quickly based on players performance, charisma, supply-demand, etc....

Sorry if I'm not being clear, but I am not thinking of an exact price guide for each individual player. What I am suggesting is just a range of what people would pay for individual players or different categories of players. For example:

Jeff Bagwell jerseys - $1000-$1250
Jeff Bagwell batting gloves - $75-$250
Jeff Bagwell bat - $400-600
Jeff Bagwell hat - $100

Each person could contribute his favorite player and what fair market value is for that athlete. Or alternatively, someone could just give a range of values for superstars, minor stars, etc.