PDA

View Full Version : Which do you consider more desireable and valuable?

3arod13
01-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Which do you consider more desireable and valuable of a player who owns the all time record?

I'll use Hank Aaron as an example (as if he still owned the record).
the bat he used to hit his 1st Career HR Bat? Or the bat he used to break the all time HR Record?

I would say the bat that breaks the record.

Jeffredsfan
01-05-2011, 08:03 PM
His first one because the HOF would probably get the record setting one. I'd be happy with an Aaron bat he used while striking out 4 times in a game!
:D

Dach0sen0ne
01-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Records are made to be broken, but you can't take away someones 1st. I'd go for his first HR bat.

Vintagedeputy
01-06-2011, 12:30 AM
I'll use Hank Aaron as an example (as if he still owned the record).

What do you mean "if" ? :)

dplettn
01-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Personally, I'd rather own a first HR bat.

I look at game used things as emotional celebrations rather than investments, but economic value probably is affected by the emotional value.

I’d emotionally prefer to have something that celebrates my having rooted for and/or believed in an athlete and his team from their prospect phase.

Let me afford an example… a favorite of my small collection are the cleats of Carlos Dunlap (a 2010 Bengals Rookie) because every time I see them it celebrates the feeling of seeing him for the first time playing big, physical and fast from my own seats at Paul Brown stadium. The cleats celebrate the belief and intrigue I had in the player even before Carlos Dunlap got even his first career sack.

So far all he’s done is set a franchise rookie season sack record (while only playing part of the season) but already the cleats (worn over a duration b/c he doesn’t yet have a shoe deal that gives him new shoes every week) and jersey (both of which he signed for me) are valuable (to me) because I believed in him early. Bengal jokes aside lets imagine that in 10 years Carlos Dunlap has been part of the teams nucleus that wins a first Bengals Super Bowl and he sets a personal NFL record of whatever type (sacks in a season, career, consecutive pro bowls, etc) … the item that celebrates him from day 1 will still have the most emotional value (to me).

Obviously, my example was football but the feeling is the same regardless of sport. I could have instead referenced my Joey Votto bat from the 2007 Spring Training, but I honestly can't take credit for having been among Joey's first fans. For me, it was easier to consider this by using a Dunlap hypothetical.

3arod13
01-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks for taking time giving your opinion. Much appreciated!

Jstef15
01-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Personally, I'd rather own a first HR bat.

I look at game used things as emotional celebrations rather than investments, but economic value probably is affected by the emotional value.

I’d emotionally prefer to have something that celebrates my having rooted for and/or believed in an athlete and his team from their prospect phase.

Let me afford an example… a favorite of my small collection are the cleats of Carlos Dunlap (a 2010 Bengals Rookie) because every time I see them it celebrates the feeling of seeing him for the first time playing big, physical and fast from my own seats at Paul Brown stadium. The cleats celebrate the belief and intrigue I had in the player even before Carlos Dunlap got even his first career sack.

So far all he’s done is set a franchise rookie season sack record (while only playing part of the season) but already the cleats (worn over a duration b/c he doesn’t yet have a shoe deal that gives him new shoes every week) and jersey (both of which he signed for me) are valuable (to me) because I believed in him early. Bengal jokes aside lets imagine that in 10 years Carlos Dunlap has been part of the teams nucleus that wins a first Bengals Super Bowl and he sets a personal NFL record of whatever type (sacks in a season, career, consecutive pro bowls, etc) … the item that celebrates him from day 1 will still have the most emotional value (to me).

Obviously, my example was football but the feeling is the same regardless of sport. I could have instead referenced my Joey Votto bat from the 2007 Spring Training, but I honestly can't take credit for having been among Joey's first fans. For me, it was easier to consider this by using a Dunlap hypothetical.

You got a jersey and a pair of his cleats signed? I'm a big Gators fan who lives in NKY/Cincy.. I wouldn't say I root for the Bengals but I certainly love when all of the Florida/Bengals do well! I'd be interested in purchasing the Dunlap items even though its obvious they have some sentiment for you... let me know if you're ever looking to sell!