PDA

View Full Version : Pujols Bat Receives PSA 8.5 even with COA from Pujols???

notxpensv4u
01-11-2011, 07:29 AM
I don't understand how a bat can only get a PSA 8.5 even with Pujols COA, MLB auto holo of signature and signatures states "Game Used". Not my bat or auction but with that much backing shouldn't it be a 10???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALBERT-PUJOLS-SIGNED-GAME-USED-BAT-CARDINALS-PSA-8-5-/230572315103?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35af2e51df

3arod13
01-11-2011, 08:05 AM
I don't understand how a bat can only get a PSA 8.5 even with Pujols COA, MLB auto holo of signature and signatures states "Game Used". Not my bat or auction but with that much backing shouldn't it be a 10???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALBERT-PUJOLS-SIGNED-GAME-USED-BAT-CARDINALS-PSA-8-5-/230572315103?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35af2e51df

I believe the amount of use on the bat contributes to the grade also. You can have solid provence, but the amount of use on the bat is considered in the grading.

CollectGU
01-11-2011, 09:14 AM
From reading posts on the site from numerous Pujols collectors, I always believed that Pujols very light pine tar on his bats. Is it just me or does this one look heavy? Has he changed his pine tar habits?

best,
Dave

Manram
01-11-2011, 09:45 AM
From reading posts on the site from numerous Pujols collectors, I always believed that Pujols very light pine tar on his bats. Is it just me or does this one look heavy? Has he changed his pine tar habits?

best,
Dave

I thought the tar was a little heavy myself. Im pretty sure since 09 he has started using more, but this looks to be to much and to long. The tar he puts on bats is usually shorter and doesnt go down so far

shoremen44
01-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Guys in 2008 and 2009 Pujols changed his tar patterns... he went to much heavier tar

as far as the MLB holo goes... I think it is only for the signature, not the use... and as far as the Pujols LOA goes, you guys should read Jeff Scott's website!!!!

http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats/Birdbats/index.htm

take a look at the January 10, 2011 post...

CRAZY!!!!

Dach0sen0ne
01-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Guys in 2008 and 2009 Pujols changed his tar patterns... he went to much heavier tar

as far as the MLB holo goes... I think it is only for the signature, not the use... and as far as the Pujols LOA goes, you guys should read Jeff Scott's website!!!!

CRAZY!!!!

Thanks for the heads up on that, I never been to Jeff's site before and enjoyed the reading. Definitely bookmark worthy!

taratape
01-11-2011, 03:33 PM

CRAZY!!!!

today's post cleared up most of the questions:

Birdbats blog...
January 11, 2011. The mystery is over. The company behind the 12/4 Pujols signing is KLF Sports Investments out of Florida, which is run by Kevin Freistat. I spoke with Kevin on the phone last night and he helped clear up the confusion shared my many collectors. For example, KLF is not MLB licensed, so Kevin uses Steiner Sports as his conduit to MLB -- that's why Steiner's name is attached to every item in the MLB database instead of KLF's name. Other tidbits from our conversation:

The new Pujols hologram belongs to Albert and his agent, not KLF (or the Pujols Family Foundation, as discussed yesterday). Not sure who will manage the database of hologram numbers or how that person can be contacted if collectors want to confirm authentication using the hologram number.
KLF's name and contact information is not on any of the LOAs from the signing, which Kevin admitted was an oversight on his part. He also agreed that including the two URLs directing people to the PFF could be misleading.
According to Kevin, the game-used items were supplied by Albert and are now owned by KLF.
Kevin wouldn't confirm amounts, but said there were far fewer than 35 game-used bats signed during the session (so not every bat from FJ 293635-71 is a gamer). He also said the two jerseys were not worn, but that one fielding glove (already sold) was used for an entire season.
KLF is primarily a wholesaler, which is why most of the items signed on 12/4 are being distributed by companies like sportsmemorabilia.com and sportsintegrity.com.
KLF will be doing another session with Albert, though Kevin says that will be mostly balls and photos; no bats.

vonbrandingo
01-11-2011, 05:09 PM
I wonder if Albert inscribed each of the 35 bats (or 2 unused jerseys) as game used or if he inscribed game used strictly on the bats he knew were gamers.

Nnunnari
01-12-2011, 03:04 AM
Bat grading is one of the biggest scams of the industry, they shoud have no relevance to a bat's value.

SkubeBats
01-12-2011, 09:09 AM
I agree with Nnunnari that bat grading & bat authentication is SCAM. When I buy something with LOA I usually throw out the LOA it doesn't mean sh-t to me. It's just a piece of paper. Anyone can write an LOA they don't add any value... JUST DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH WHY PAY SOMEONE ELSE!!

Nnunnari
01-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Amen Jamie. I'm looking forward to the day that the rest of the hobby realizes this and every bat sold doesn't require a useless LOA or an inconsistent grade attached to it.

notxpensv4u
01-12-2011, 10:55 PM
I agree....I always thought a grade was for authenticity. Even after you studied game use and a players use on a bat, and even a COA can all be faked. I always thought a 10 was guaranteed authentic for game use. I lost faith in PSA when they authenicated a Brittney Spears autograph from 3 grade.