PDA

View Full Version : How to remove yellow toning/blemishes on a baseball?

Vintagedeputy
01-13-2011, 01:16 PM
I have a brand new MLB ball, in the box and hidden from sunlight, but it has started to turn yellow. Any tricks out there to whiten it up a bit?

scootmagroot
01-13-2011, 04:23 PM
nothing that I know of. Maybe try some bleach. A lot of the baseballs I have are like this now. pretty much stopped collecting baseballs because of it.

xpress34
01-13-2011, 05:09 PM
I would suggest trying lemon juice - directly from a lemon, not 'Real Lemon' and that stuff.

Why you may ask?

As a former Rawlings employee, I can tell you that the way they get baseball leather white is not 'dying', ink or bleaching as many people believe.

The leather is put into tubs with an ALUM solution. Alum is the ingredient in lemons that makes your lips pucker and also makes your hair lighten faster in sunlight.

The ball is already yellowed, it can't hurt.

Bleach on the other hand may actually dry and damage the leather (think of how bleach burns if you put it on your hands and let it sit).

Just an FYI - the yellowing is probably from oil off the skin of whoever packaged your ball.

All the best -

Smitty

70to66
01-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Will it work for brown spots on the baseballs?

xpress34
01-14-2011, 08:11 AM
I can't make any guarantee that it will remove the yellow - or brown spots for that matter.

But, compared to harsh cleaners (bleach) and the alternatives, it is probably safer.

I would probably squeeze juice into a ramekin (a small serving dish that you usually get sauce in at a restaurant) and dab it on with a q-tip to test it on a small area.

Again - I am not saying this will absolutely work, but since it does contain alum - the substance that turns the leather white in the first place - it can't be any worse than any other type cleaners... and it certainly can't make a yellow or brown spot worse.

- Smitty

Vintagedeputy
01-14-2011, 08:14 AM
I'll give it a try, thanks!

70to66
01-14-2011, 06:42 PM
I might try also, Thanks for the tip!