PDA

View Full Version : $1200 for this?

jdr3
01-14-2011, 09:19 AM
A mid 70s Redskins common player:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-1981-Washington-Redskins-Game-Worn-Jersey-/230571002509?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item35af1a4a8d

cohibasmoker
01-14-2011, 09:23 AM
A mid 70s Redskins common player:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-1981-Washington-Redskins-Game-Worn-Jersey-/230571002509?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item35af1a4a8d

I did NOT win nor did I bid on the jersey but I can understand it's worth. It's pretty simple - supply and demand. An original Redskins jersey from that era are few and far between so if I were a Redskins fan, I would have been in the hunt.

Just an opinion -

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

sox83cubs84
01-15-2011, 12:03 AM
I agree with Jim. Once you go back before the early 1990s, there's just not much around in the way of Redskins gamers.

Dave Miedema

DeacDoug
01-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Had a buddy worked for Skins late 80s early 90s. He told me that Skins used to take names off back and reuse jerseys for practice. Guess that's why not many in circulation. I have Tice and Horton jerseys; the former with NNOB and the latter has a phony NOB for charity auction. Believe the Horton was worn in preseason practice game vs. Steelers that used to get big tv audience when Skins were going better.

ironmanfan
01-15-2011, 09:33 AM
probably some of the younger collectors, who live in a world where virtually every football game used uniform from the past few years has made available to the public, do not realize how virtually impossible it was to secure game used equipment 30 plus years ago.

cohibasmoker
01-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Had a buddy worked for Skins late 80s early 90s. He told me that Skins used to take names off back and reuse jerseys for practice. Guess that's why not many in circulation. I have Tice and Horton jerseys; the former with NNOB and the latter has a phony NOB for charity auction. Believe the Horton was worn in preseason practice game vs. Steelers that used to get big tv audience when Skins were going better.

Same thing with the Eagles. I was told that the team owned the jerseys NOT the name on the jersey so when a charity asked for a jersey, the team would send a jersey with the NOBR.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

G1X
01-16-2011, 01:53 PM
jdr3,
Come on now, you and I live in the DC area and both know how crazy things get with older items from the local teams. :) Someone asked me about this jersey early on, and I said that it would easily go for at least 8 or 10 Ben Franklins, so I am not the least bit surprised that it went for a few more bills.

Some great posts in this thread, especially from ironmanfan who hit the proverbial nail on the head. Each to their own in what they collect, but what makes my jaw drop is when I see current-era jerseys of common players being hawked at or close to 4-figures, especially when there are multiple jerseys of the same players being offered.

It is understandable what makes older jerseys such as the 'Skins jersey a $1,200 item - these types of jerseys are nearly impossible to find and not nearly enough to go around to the guys who collect them - but I have no idea why some jerseys of common players are priced close to a grand (or even half of that amount), especially when there are usually multiples available of that player.

Again, each to their own, and I am not being critical of any buyers or sellers. If a seller can get that amount, more power to them, and if a collector is willing to pay that amount and the jersey makes them happy, then good for them. However, 10 years from now when you try to move that jersey after the player is mostly forgotten, don't be surprised or upset when you try to sell the jersey and get nowhere near what you paid for it.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for WFL, Atlanta Falcons, NFL/AFL durene jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis equipment.