PDA

View Full Version : Worst Fan Fest Experiences

godwulf
01-14-2011, 10:12 AM
It's that time of year!

I'll start off with a classic. Post #54.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=6300&page=6&highlight=%22randy+johnson%22

NEFAN
01-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Football HOF induction Ceremony, autograph session, Joe Montana talked on a cellphone for over 30 minutes while fans came up to get his signature. Not only did he not talk to them, he would not even look at them!

EurekaDave
01-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Had to be the 2007 All-Star Game Fanfest in San Francisco. I took my grandson to meet J.T. Snow, Giants veteran First-baseman. The time comes and they hustle him passed his fans, kids and grown-ups. They said he was "with his family." Why not make a great giving example to his kids?

If you could have seen my grand-son's look, it would have ripped out your heart, as if to say, "Grandpa, I thought you could take me places."

I can deal with rejection-- but a kid? Disgraceful.

Tay1038
01-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Thought I’d share an interesting memory I had with Bert Blyleven this year.

This past summer I attended the annual Minnesota Twins Autograph Party on location at Target Field. A few months prior I purchased a Bert Blyleven game-used glove that was photomatched and used in the early 70’s from a long time Twins collector. Keep in mind I’m in my early 20’s.. Anyway, I paid my fare, waited in line for nearly 2 hours in the cold pouring rain to have Bert autograph the glove for my personal collection. When I finally reached Bert I handed him the glove. I was very excited to ask him if he recognized the glove. As soon as I said that he examined the glove, looked up, glared, and very rudely said “I’m not signing this shit for you.” I asked is something wrong? He again with one of the dirtiest looks you’ll ever get, “This was stolen from my locker. Where in the hell did you get this?” I politely answered; I purchased it from a long time collector. At this point there was fire in his eyes and he literally threw the glove back at me. Again, he roars out, “I’m not signing this shit”. From there I kinda’ stalled for a second thinking on how to respond to his reaction. In between that time, Bert still is giving me the eye down of death, Ron Coomer is starting to chirp in saying “yea, we would never give stuff away without signing it”, along with everyone in line tuning in as Bert makes this scene. After I finally muscled out a response knowing I now I just wasted $40 for the autograph ticket and 2 hours of my time I politely said “I’m very sorry to hear about the glove. I just want you to know that it’s in a good home now”. After all that Bert still continued to eye me down the whole time while I walked away in shock that that just happened. What I really wanted to say to him was, “Hey man, I’m in my 20’s. There is no way I could have taken this from you. Instead of being such a dick head you could have politely declined to sign the glove instead of making a scene. Maybe you should take a lesson from Harmon Killebrew on how to treat fans”.

Why do athletes treat fan’s like this? Beats me. Ego? Probably. It sure does make me think differently about the guy now. I’ve always respected every athlete. What an ass clown. You wouldn’t ever catch Harmon Killebrew treating a fan like this. I can only assume it’s going to get worse now that he’s in the HOF. But good for him that he got in. Sadly enough I still remain a fan of his.

godwulf
01-14-2011, 01:55 PM
That Blyleven story puts me in mind of a Kirk Gibson g-u helmet story that another member told awhile back. Not a Fan Fest experience, but memorable. :rolleyes:

nycpropain
01-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Thought I’d share an interesting memory I had with Bert Blyleven this year.

This past summer I attended the annual Minnesota Twins Autograph Party on location at Target Field. A few months prior I purchased a Bert Blyleven game-used glove that was photomatched and used in the early 70’s from a long time Twins collector. Keep in mind I’m in my early 20’s.. Anyway, I paid my fare, waited in line for nearly 2 hours in the cold pouring rain to have Bert autograph the glove for my personal collection. When I finally reached Bert I handed him the glove. I was very excited to ask him if he recognized the glove. As soon as I said that he examined the glove, looked up, glared, and very rudely said “I’m not signing this shit for you.” I asked is something wrong? He again with one of the dirtiest looks you’ll ever get, “This was stolen from my locker. Where in the hell did you get this?” I politely answered; I purchased it from a long time collector. At this point there was fire in his eyes and he literally threw the glove back at me. Again, he roars out, “I’m not signing this shit”. From there I kinda’ stalled for a second thinking on how to respond to his reaction. In between that time, Bert still is giving me the eye down of death, Ron Coomer is starting to chirp in saying “yea, we would never give stuff away without signing it”, along with everyone in line tuning in as Bert makes this scene. After I finally muscled out a response knowing I now I just wasted $40 for the autograph ticket and 2 hours of my time I politely said “I’m very sorry to hear about the glove. I just want you to know that it’s in a good home now”. After all that Bert still continued to eye me down the whole time while I walked away in shock that that just happened. What I really wanted to say to him was, “Hey man, I’m in my 20’s. There is no way I could have taken this from you. Instead of being such a dick head you could have politely declined to sign the glove instead of making a scene. Maybe you should take a lesson from Harmon Killebrew on how to treat fans”.

Why do athletes treat fan’s like this? Beats me. Ego? Probably. It sure does make me think differently about the guy now. I’ve always respected every athlete. What an ass clown. You wouldn’t ever catch Harmon Killebrew treating a fan like this. I can only assume it’s going to get worse now that he’s in the HOF. But good for him that he got in. Sadly enough I still remain a fan of his.

If someone stole the Jesey from you and came back in 10 years and asked to sign it you would be ok with it? Not saying thats the case but you have to think of it from his point of view.

mbenga28
01-14-2011, 02:11 PM
if I was you I would have thrown the glove in his face and left.

Tay1038
01-14-2011, 02:14 PM
If someone stole the Jesey from you and came back in 10 years and asked to sign it you would be ok with it? Not saying thats the case but you have to think of it from his point of view.

I'd have a little more class with my response back to a fan that's for sure. Especially one that doesn't fit the age demographic of that era. Don't worry; I think rational. I'll assume I caught him on a bad day. Which is the reason I still like the guy for what he did in the Twins uniform. However my respect level for him dropped a bit. And to clear the air, it's been nearly 40 years, not 10.

EurekaDave
01-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Look at it this way -- he just authenticated it for you.
Dave Silverbrand

xpress34
01-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Dave Silverbrand
+1 ;)

Great Call Dave!

both-teams-played-hard
01-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Dave Silverbrand

'zactly. Too bad no one had a camera phone rolling. That video would double the value. If he used it for weeks, months, or even years...how would an autograph enhance the value?

Tay1038
01-14-2011, 04:10 PM
LOL, I should have whipped out my Iphone and asked him to do it all over again. Can you only imagine. Tossing the glove back in his face would have been nice; but one expensive statement. Maybe I'll buy the win a lunch with Bert Blyleven this year at Twinsfest and and bring my glove and see where it leads.

34swtns
01-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Do it! I'm sure you're more even tempered than I am, but I would start the conversation like this:

"Remember me, nutsack?" :p

Sincityson
01-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Cecil Fielder signing, he was having a conversation with some friends, paying virtually no attention to the signing. Not talking, etc.. Guess that's normal for him.

sox83cubs84
01-14-2011, 11:47 PM
One of the first Soxfests, early 1990s Dave Stieb (just picked up by the Sox at the time), Bill Melton and Alex Fernandez are signing at a autograph table for a 1-hour session. I wanted Stieb on a Blue Jays GU cap I had. The line works its way through, and I'm 10 peiople away from the front when the line is cut off. Problem was, the line was cut off 10 minutes early because several sportss reporters wanted to interview Stieb. Lots of people (including me) were pretty PO'd, and, to his credit, Melton left the stage and signed for fans in line.

I left immediately, walked across the river to what was then the Cubs gift shop at Tribune Tower, and my luck went 180 degrees for the better. The shop owner told me they got some new game used jerseys in, and offered to let me have an early peek. I walked out with a 1990 home Doug Dascenso, fully intact and with the All-Star patch still present.

The other amazing thing over the last 20 years is the total PR turnaround both Chicago teams have had. Sox Fest is now infinitely better organized and run, while the Cubs Convention is usually a zoo. Just like the ballparks...going to a White Sox game is pleasureful and enjoyable, while Cubs management seems to be offended if a ticketholder wants to have any experience other than watching the game itself.

Dave Miedema

BU54CB
01-15-2011, 06:03 PM

His point of view? We're talking about a glove used in the early 1970's, you're telling me that Blyleven remebers a specific glove from 30 years ago? Where's the proof it was stolen, I guess we'll just take good old Bert's word on that, right? It's not like Tay1038 snuck into Bert's home and stole it. IMO, Blyleven has some nerve treating someone like that, especially at a fanfest. I'm pretty certain items disappear from lockers and locker rooms since every sport began. Someone should have told Bert to kiss off, what a clown.

BU54CB
01-15-2011, 06:04 PM
His point of view? We're talking about a glove used in the early 1970's, you're telling me that Blyleven remebers a specific glove from 30 years ago? Where's the proof it was stolen, I guess we'll just take good old Bert's word on that, right? It's not like Tay1038 snuck into Bert's home and stole it. IMO, Blyleven has some nerve treating someone like that, especially at a fanfest. I'm pretty certain items disappear from lockers and locker rooms since every sport began. Someone should have told Bert to kiss off, what a clown.

Sorry, I meant to type 40 years ago

jake33
01-15-2011, 06:47 PM
I always get upset when people wait in line for 1 hour to have a good player sign a sheet of notebook paper and then think it is worth $40, and of coarse I am right behind them the whole time with a game used item I am waiting to get signed by the same athlete for the last 5 years....

godwulf
01-15-2011, 07:47 PM
I always get upset when people wait in line for 1 hour to have a good player sign a sheet of notebook paper and then think it is worth $40, and of coarse I am right behind them the whole time with a game used item I am waiting to get signed by the same athlete for the last 5 years....

I try hard not to judge what other folks are getting signed - though, as you say, sometimes you have to laugh at what they subsequently think those things are worth. Not everybody has the financial wherewithall to buy a game-used whatever, and a lot of people are probably unaware that such items are even available.

I have found myself in a signing line, with half a dozen bats and other things, juggling it all and trying to keep track of my various pens and stressing about the whole experience, and looked at the kid ahead of me, who has a used baseball with fifteen other signatures on it, and that's all he's getting signed, and - to be honest - I've felt envious.

treant985
01-15-2011, 08:11 PM
I'd always figured that the truly egomaniacal players would love these fan fests because they get to see fans clammering over each other just to get their autographs. But I guess they get an even bigger high by seeing fans clammering--and then acting like a jerk on top of it.

gingi79
01-15-2011, 08:22 PM
I've always straddled the line on athletes as signers. I am in the minority that feels they don't owe fans anything nor do I believe we pay their salaries. They don't want to sign for kids, good. eBay and scumbag spoiled brats have used and manipulated athletes to make money off of them. However.......

If an athlete goes to a fan fest, book signing or autograph show, they are PAID to sign. All of these stories tell me that some of these washed up, easily forgotten and over rated people should be outed as the obnoxious pompous ass munches they are.

How often do you have an incredible opportunity to re-live your glory years and interact with real fans who just want a handshake and a memento from their favorite player?

Harmon Killebrew should run a clinic that all athletes must attend on how to act at a signing. Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, these men are much more talented than the bozos we hear about and yet they acted like I was doing THEM a favor talking football and asking for their autograph. They both thanked me for my support, offered smiles, handshakes and genuine appreciation.

Keep the stories coming, I'm keeping a list of douches I won't ever pay to meet or collect. Add these award winners to my pet peeve list:
a) Collectors who sell fake stuff
b) People whose names rhyme with Moo Hampson and
c) People who believe they need to get into physical or verbally abusive altercations with rival fans to "defend their team". :p

sox83cubs84
01-15-2011, 08:29 PM
"Moo Hampson"? LMAO!:p Not too much mystery there.;)

Dave Miedema

Masimen
01-15-2011, 09:15 PM
I've always straddled the line on athletes as signers. I am in the minority that feels they don't owe fans anything nor do I believe we pay their salaries. They don't want to sign for kids, good. eBay and scumbag spoiled brats have used and manipulated athletes to make money off of them. However.......

If an athlete goes to a fan fest, book signing or autograph show, they are PAID to sign. All of these stories tell me that some of these washed up, easily forgotten and over rated people should be outed as the obnoxious pompous ass munches they are.

How often do you have an incredible opportunity to re-live your glory years and interact with real fans who just want a handshake and a memento from their favorite player?

Harmon Killebrew should run a clinic that all athletes must attend on how to act at a signing. Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, these men are much more talented than the bozos we hear about and yet they acted like I was doing THEM a favor talking football and asking for their autograph. They both thanked me for my support, offered smiles, handshakes and genuine appreciation.

Keep the stories coming, I'm keeping a list of douches I won't ever pay to meet or collect. Add these award winners to my pet peeve list:
a) Collectors who sell fake stuff
b) People whose names rhyme with Moo Hampson and
c) People who believe they need to get into physical or verbally abusive altercations with rival fans to "defend their team". :p

I am pretty much with you in the thinking that athletes don't owe is autographs when they aren't being paid to do so at a show. However I have to respectfully disagree with you on the "nor do I believe we pay their salaries statement" The fans absolutely do pay the salaries of the athletes. Obviously we aren't writing their checks, but if there are no fans there are no salaries.

OaklandAsFan
01-16-2011, 02:35 PM
I think that while at their respective place of work (stadium, arena, rink whatever) they should take a few minutes to sign some graphs for people however, hotels or airports or anywhere else outside their place of work they should be left alone or not expected to do anything IMHO.

I watched some jerk actually chase Wayne Gretzky into a bathroom during a Giants spring training game a couple of years ago. The sad part is that Wayne was happily signing for people as he walked around the stadium so there was no reason for it.

sox83cubs84
01-16-2011, 06:37 PM
At one of the Chicago hotels in the mid-1970s, some idiot approached Bob Stinson, a backup catcher with an abrasive way about him, as he was doing #1 in a hotel bathroom urinal. The guy asked Stinson, who responded "Sure. Wanna hold my p--ck for me?":p

Dave Miedema

xpress34
01-16-2011, 06:41 PM
I am pretty much with you in the thinking that athletes don't owe is autographs when they aren't being paid to do so at a show. However I have to respectfully disagree with you on the "nor do I believe we pay their salaries statement" The fans absolutely do pay the salaries of the athletes. Obviously we aren't writing their checks, but if there are no fans there are no salaries.

+1 - I have personally stated many times to friends that the 'Owners' aren't paying these guys out of the 'Goodness of their Hearts'... we as fans buy the tickets, the gear, the swag AND we pay the taxes that build their 'offices'...

- Smitty

xpress34
01-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Worst Fan Fest experience??? EVERY one of the Rockies since they started having it at Coors Field.

Why? Because if you don't have the dough to be a Season Ticket Holder, in the Rockies eyes you are NOT a fan and you cannot get tickets to attend.

They should rename it Season Ticket Holder Fest because most of the REAL Rockies Fans I know don't have Season Tickets, but they scrape up what they can to attend as many games as possible as well as buying gear, etc. and they are NOT invited.

The majority of Season Tickets at Coors Field (like many venues) are 'Corporate Tickets' which will be given to clients, etc and no one from those companies will likely even use their Fan Fest opportunity.

On a side bar - when it comes to whether Athletes 'owe' fans anything... I agree they don't owe me anything (signature, ball, bat, etc) but I do expect to at least be treated like another human being - not like I'm beneath them as many athletes come off.

Prime example - a guy I thought was a good guy (until I met him) - Todd Zeile. While working for Nike doing Loss Prevention, Ziele come in on a comp (free shopping for Nike athletes) while in town with the Cardinals. He has an Iguana or something with him and it's freaking out some of the 'regular people' customers. A female Manager came up and politely asked him to remove the animal from the store. Zeile turns to her and says, 'Do you know who the F&%K I am? I pay your God D@#NED Salary!' We had to ask him to leave the store - and fill out a report with Nike Corporate Athlete Accounts. Nike banned him from the stores for a years or something like that.

I guarantee you Phil Knight was rolling on the floor when he heard Zeile's comment about paying our salaries!

What an ASS!!!

- Smitty

spartanservitto
01-17-2011, 02:31 PM
My friend got Lebron after a camp or something, Lebron pullled out his own sharpie.... it was a dry erase pen.... all the autographs he signed for the kids were disappearing, my friend had to spray his photo so the auto would stay.

I've hated him ever since... making an effort to destroy the autographs you give away at a camp. Amazing.

-Tony

Shipp_96
02-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Not a fan fest, but I paid top dollar years ago in Napa, CA to go to the Charles Woodson Charity Golf event. Keep in mind, HE is holding the event. It was on like a Tuesday, and was hot as b@lls up there. So, there are TONS of Raider and football legends there, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Jim Plunkett, etc...all of these guys were nice in signing (especially Jerry Rice, the greatest player ever!)

The LAST one to come in is Chucky Woodson. It just so happens, as fate would have it, I am sitting on a bench outside the golf store and a nice young lady starts chatting with me. It was none other than Charles girlfriend (who he may or may not still be with). She goes on to tell me most of the players are easy to approach, and I should not hesitate to ask for autos, since why else would I be there with the handful of other fans that shelled out big money. Long story short, Charlie gets off his golf cart with some Bay Area rapper, E-60 or some crap. So, two children with a Dad, a middle age guy and myself approach Chucky. THAT'S IT...at HIS charity event! Why does he start cursing under his breath and tugging his golf hat to his eyes at the sight of us, then mutters "here we go with this s#!t". I am amazed. One of the little kids hands him a pict of him and Brady in the "tuck rule" game, and he says "Naw, I'm not signing that bulls#!t". If I were the Father, I would have punched him out.

I hear now that Mr. '09 DPOY is in Green Bay, he has matured. OK, once from Michigan, always an @ss, but maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, I am a Steelers fan, so to he!! with Chucky Woodson.

ConRyl
06-01-2011, 01:52 AM
Charles Woodson has actually turned into one of the nicest players for the Packers, his first couple years in Green Bay he was a p**ck but he now signs pretty much anything at training camp and is a really cool guy.

nycpropain
06-01-2011, 07:01 AM
I dont know which is funnier the fact people can not have a bad day or the people saying "I would have kicked the crap out of them" yet didnt do a thing. stop it, they where athletes even out of shape still would whoop you and lets not ignore you did NOTHING but walk away. So stop with the tough guy routines no one is buying them.

godwulf
06-01-2011, 08:50 AM

There are plenty of young guys with the same, good attitude, and it's always a pleasure to run into them. I got the Diamondbacks' new arm, Josh Collmenter, to sign a photo in the Fall League last year, and when I thanked him, he said, "Thank YOU!" During that same season, Bryce Harper never signed before a game, but after every home game he stood at the end of the dugout and signed for everybody. After he'd signed a baseball for me, I said, "Have a great career!" and he responded, "Thank you, sir." Some parents did a good job.

Shipp_96
06-01-2011, 09:02 AM
I dont know which is funnier the fact people can not have a bad day or the people saying "I would have kicked the crap out of them" yet didnt do a thing. stop it, they where athletes even out of shape still would whoop you and lets not ignore you did NOTHING but walk away. So stop with the tough guy routines no one is buying them.

If you would have read the entire story, he insulted a young boy and his father. I was not the one he swore at. So why would I personally take try to "beat him" for that? Also, had you ACTUALLY read the story, it was HIS golf tournament and there was simply zero excuse for his behavior that day. People who give athletes the "bad day" pass slay me when the athlete chooses to be in a public venue and acts like an @ss.

You sound like someone who is just on here to start something when there is no need to. These days I am in my 30s and too old to care. However, just for the record, when I met Charles Woodson I was in my mid 20s, and at the time benched 340 lbs as I was a gym rat in college. Have you ever seen Charles Woodson? He is not a lineman or a LB, he is a corner. How about not making sarcastic comments when you do not know the situation.

This will be my one and only response to your juvenile post, so do not expect a long, "tough guy" typing match from me.

Billy77
06-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Ted Williams at a Hofstra University show in Long Island New york...

Mind you he is getting paid for everything he signs. Fans are out the door of the gym just for him. They are handing him baseballs. He is not looking up, signs the balls and does not acknowledge any fan at all.

And get this...rolls the signed balls back to the fans instead of handing back..how he recieved it.

Man...I remember many people complaing to show promoter cause many of the autographs had been smudged as they were rolled back.

I was at another table sitting with Chuck "The Rifleman" Connors and we just looked over in disbelief...even Chuck said Williamd was an ASS!

That's just one of my stories...

Billy;)

ivo610
06-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Not a fan fest, but I paid top dollar years ago in Napa, CA to go to the Charles Woodson Charity Golf event. Keep in mind, HE is holding the event. It was on like a Tuesday, and was hot as b@lls up there. So, there are TONS of Raider and football legends there, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Jim Plunkett, etc...all of these guys were nice in signing (especially Jerry Rice, the greatest player ever!)

The LAST one to come in is Chucky Woodson. It just so happens, as fate would have it, I am sitting on a bench outside the golf store and a nice young lady starts chatting with me. It was none other than Charles girlfriend (who he may or may not still be with). She goes on to tell me most of the players are easy to approach, and I should not hesitate to ask for autos, since why else would I be there with the handful of other fans that shelled out big money. Long story short, Charlie gets off his golf cart with some Bay Area rapper, E-60 or some crap. So, two children with a Dad, a middle age guy and myself approach Chucky. THAT'S IT...at HIS charity event! Why does he start cursing under his breath and tugging his golf hat to his eyes at the sight of us, then mutters "here we go with this s#!t". I am amazed. One of the little kids hands him a pict of him and Brady in the "tuck rule" game, and he says "Naw, I'm not signing that bulls#!t". If I were the Father, I would have punched him out.

I hear now that Mr. '09 DPOY is in Green Bay, he has matured. OK, once from Michigan, always an @ss, but maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, I am a Steelers fan, so to he!! with Chucky Woodson.

went to a charity event last year that Charles put on. One of the nicest athletes I have met. Super polite, asked about me, made sure to sign multiple autographs for everyone, and towards the end came over and asked how the night went.

Shipp_96
06-02-2011, 10:23 PM
went to a charity event last year that Charles put on. One of the nicest athletes I have met. Super polite, asked about me, made sure to sign multiple autographs for everyone, and towards the end came over and asked how the night went.

I am actually glad to hear he has changed. Maybe he needed to mature, maybe he needed to get out of Oakland...who knows?

It does not alter my personal experience with the guy, but I do believe people can change. So good for him if he has grown older and wiser.